• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What will we lose in Muse?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amateur web builder here. I am just curious what the downfalls of using Muse for building a client's website are. Will the site not work properly in the near future? What are we really losing when they no longer support Muse besides Adobe Muse technical support via phone calls, e-mails and chat no longer being available? 

TOPICS
End of life , Product issue , Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, you are losing nothing – if

• your computer’s operating system allows you to use Muse further on. May be, an upcoming OS update prevents Muse from functioning (correctly).
  • web standard don’t change, so that the code, which Muse exports, doesn’t match these standards any more. One simple example: The "Google Maps" widget doesn’t work any more, because Google introduced a "Google Maps API key" for embedded access to Google Maps. The built in widget offers no possibility to enter such a key. In this special case, you may work around by using Google’s code snippet instead, but as you see: Changes in web standards may break your Muse site and you have no muse related way to fix these kinds of issues. So sooner or later it may be a good idea to look for a different application for your site projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know a lot about code yet but couldn't I technically just export the HTML code in muse and use that code in Dreamweaver or any other program that works with HTML later on down the road if my site breaks? Hopefully by then I could handle code and just make edits as necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tweaking Muse exported code in Dreamweaver or another code editor is possible, but not recommended at all. Muse code is machine generated code and differs from "human generated code" massively. There is, for example, no need at all to export code which is easily readable, because no Muse user will ever need it. And: Muse code can't be optimised for a special situation on a special web site, because Muse code has to work for each and every site project in general.

So, as I already said: Tweaking Muse code in a code editor is doable, but not recommendable at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO, Muse is not fit for purpose.   The web is moving ahead constantly with new technologies and Muse has already fallen behind.  If you want to use Muse for your own personal projects or a hobby site, fine.  You won't be hurting anybody but yourself. 

When you accept money from clients however,, you owe them a higher quality product than Muse can provide.  You are responsible for anything that goes wrong, too.  That means you need to know exactly what you're doing and how to forge ahead when things break.  Muse won't help you.  Muse developers won't help you.  And the 3rd party widget creators won't help you because Muse is EOL.  

Best advice, stay away from Muse.  Learn to work with code.  And use a code editor that is in active development like Dreamweaver or Pinegrow.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The harsh truth I was hoping wasn't true. I hear you though. It's kind of what I figured but just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the brutal honesty and thanks for the links. Time to up my skill set. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines