• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the pixel counter shown in Muse tutorials?

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

In the Muse tutorials on designing a responsive site, you are shown a pixel counter. As you reduce your browser width, you get a pixel count of your browser width so you can see where your design 'breaks' so you can adjust your break points. Where is it? The browser in use is Chrome, which I've just downloaded. It isn't there. Is it a Muse only feature, or do you have to install it into Chrome (where from?) or is it an app you can install in any browser?

A very useful feature I would love to have, but no search engine seems to know what I'm talking about.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

The thread opener is talking about the free Chrome extension „breakpoint“ (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/breakpoint), which is used by Dany in her Muse Jam Sessions. But there is no real need to answer this question any more, because the thread opener already has „reverted back to Freeway“.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you talking about this tutorial?

if so then be aware that it was not made by Adobe, is a few years old and some design mistakes

I think the colour picker you are asking about is called a swatch and he didn't include it as a sperate file but you can export it yourself by opening the .muse file he gave you and (open any page of the site... it doesn't matter which one) goto your swatch panel and right click it on a black | blank part to get your menu

Screenshot (327).png

select delete all unused... only colours used somewhere in the entire site will remain after doing this

if you want a copy of these swatches for your local computer then press the export swatch library option to save them as a ASE file (imo the cc library is a better option for saving swatches but I showed this because thats the old way of doing it in Muse 2015)

Screenshot (330).png

DON'T USE COPY and PASTE in web design... this is an error that indesign users bring with them into Muse and nothing good can come from it... the resulting images are all named paste "host servers" will have a major problem with that

Screenshot (328).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ussnorway,

Many thanks, but that isn't the tutorial, it's the one about setting up a responsive website by Danni Beaumont  Create a responsive website | - it looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 08.41.38.png

The counter I am after looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 08.41.17.png

I have just found something similar to add to Chrome, but it doesn't work quite like this. This is the one I am really after. Danni refers to it as a 'browser measuring tool', and you can see it working on the 6th video down the page.

Interesting point you make about copy and paste - I didn't know that, and wonder if it might be responsible for some problems I have had with this software. I'll have to look into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read a little bit about “pixel vs em”... not just font size but especially with media queries ...pixels are okay but...

read the difference if you don’t already know...fairly good article.

1) https://zellwk.com/blog/rem-vs-em/

2) https://zellwk.com/blog/media-query-units/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he wants a tool to say how many pixels in width his screen is as he drags it in or out mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread opener is talking about the free Chrome extension „breakpoint“ (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/breakpoint), which is used by Dany in her Muse Jam Sessions. But there is no real need to answer this question any more, because the thread opener already has „reverted back to Freeway“.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Günter,

Thank you - found it! Sadly it no longer works, despite the author claiming he has launched a new version ( I assume that's the one I'm using).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its a 3rd party development plugin... nothing to do with Muse

you could send her a shout out and ask what the name of that one is... prob get an answer after xmas now

they tend to be simple php query codes... which don't work on my systems because I block them... i don't recognise that tool sorry

https://www.infobyip.com/detectdisplaysize.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I know...just offering a little mind expansion on the side...:))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines