Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Beta memory issue

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been experiencing a strange issue with Photoshop Beta the past couple weeks.
What happens is that from the moment I open Photoshop, the memory usage keeps increasing until I run out of memory and stuff starts freezing/crashing, etc.

Some useful info, things I tried, etc:

• It started happening about about a month or so ago. I was able to use PS Beta just fine before that.

• It's not because of big projects with lots of layers, etc; it also happens when having a single jpg open, and even when I just stay on the home screen after opening Photoshop.

• The problem does not happen with the normal/non-beta version of Photoshop. Preferences in both versions are identical.

• Scratch disk is not full, there's plenty of free space.

• Both Photoshop and the PC itself see the amount of RAM correctly.

• Lowering the memory usage in Preferences>Performance doesn't do anything; Photoshop just ignores whatever limit I set it at.

• I had a lot of brushes imported, so I thought perhaps that could be the cause. Deleted them all, but it didn't help.

• Uninstalled all plugins. Also didn't help.

• Reinstalled Photoshop Beta. Again, didn't help.

Specs:

MoBo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X Trio

RAM: 32 GB DDR3 2400 MHz

App Version: Photoshop Beta v24.6 (Problem happened on older versions too.)

I think that's about it. Please ask for any other info if needed!

To put it simply:
I open Photoshop Beta and just leave it on the home screen. (Or open any file, doesn't matter.)
I can then open Task Manager and watch the memory usage increase continuously until my PC runs out of memory and things start freezing/crashing, etc.

The memory usage increases pretty gradually; it goes up by 100-200 MB or so at a time, rather than jumping from 1 GB to 4 GB to 7 GB, etc.

One other thing that might be worth mentioning is that the amount of time it takes to run out of memory is inconsistent. Sometimes it's 10 minutes after I open Photoshop, sometimes it's 30 minutes, and sometimes I can work for an hour or more before everything dies.

If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aetherial 

Moved to Photoshop Beta

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I wasn't aware there was a seperate section for Photoshop Beta, my bad!

Thank you for moving the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, @Aetherial , that's what we are here for! Adobe staff will see your post, but in the meanwhile, be sure to fill out and send in the crash reports and include your Adobe ID email.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add that I'm having the same issue on a 2020 iMac and it's only started within the last couple of days for me, after updating Beta. 

3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4 GB

40 GB 2133 MHz DDR4

Really hope this can be fixed in the next update as some of the beta tools have really sped up my workflow and I don't want to go back to regular PS haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Photoshop Beta will take up all available memory until my RAM is nearly completely used. I have to kill Photoshop every time because my entire PC is lagging/freezing/locking up. It doesn't matter if I have a big file open or a small file or even if I close all files (but leaving Photoshop open); the same issue occurs.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 3.70 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

32.0 GB 26666 MHz RAM

Windows 10 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, please share your sysinfo so the team can see what might be the issue on your different machines/OS setups.

Also, please make sure you have the newest Ps beta that came out yesterday: Adobe Photoshop Version: 24.7.0 20230718.m.2245 afb5f03 x64

Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same thing is happening with me. Especially when using generative fill. Everything freezes and if LR is also open it crashes. 

I am up to date with updates and my laptop is also up to date.

DELL Inspiron 15 7000

16GB RAM

6GB Graphics (NVIDIA GEFORCE)

1TB HHD + 500GB SSD

INTEL CORE i7

Started to happen recently. Thought the update would fix it. It made it worse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you do me a favor and send me a screenshot of task manager with all Adobe processes shown + CPU usage? I just checked a number of different systems and am not seeing this so wondering what's different with your configuration. Also any 3rd party plug-ins loaded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

나도 동일한 문제가 발생합니다.

나는 베타, 정식버전 모두에서 발생되고 있습니다. 증상발생 후 열려있는 프로세스를 보면 문제가 생겼던 파일명의 프로세스가 메모리를 엄청나게 잡아먹고 있으며, 해당 파일은 포토샵에서 종료 시켰지만 여전히 프로세스 상에 남아있으며 많은양의 메모리를 차지하고 있습니다.

windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22631.2199) (KB5029352), 32gb, i7 9700k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me too

I installed Clean My Mac, delate almost 70GB, and 2 minutes after using PS Beta... Ran out of storage again.

So i uninstalled, and instaló PS 2024 (the blue one), and then i a checked my free storage:

272 GB OF FREE SPACE, only for uninstall PS BETA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines