• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo Restoration Neural Filter now available in Photoshop Beta!

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Beta Community!

We are excited to share that Photo Restoration is now available in the Photoshop Beta. Photo Restoration is a new Neural Filter that uses an AI trained model to help restore old or damaged photographs. Using the Photo Restoration filter, users can restore the quality of their images using the basic editing options or choose to further refine using our advanced options (adjustments). Once complete, there is always an option to export the image to the main Photoshop workspace for further refinement.

Main Editing Features:

• Photo enhancement - Improve color, contrast, and details
  • Enhance faces - Improve the detail on face specifically
  • Scratch reduction - Restore areas of the photo that have been scratched or damaged (off by default)

Advanced Editing Features (Adjustments):

• Noise reduction
  • Color noise reduction
  • Halftone artifact reduction
  • JPEG artifacts reduction

To access the filter, go to File > Neural Filters > Photo Restoration and switch the toggle to “on”. This will initiate the filter download and activate it for use.

NoelleShamroukh_1-1655761213236.png

Noelle5D22_1-1655760848508.png

Please share any thoughts and comments here on our community thread, or in-app through our Beta feedback panel (accessed via the flask icon in the upper righthand corner of the application). We look forward to hearing your feedback and seeing what you create!

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 161 Replies 161
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So i ve been using the neural filter for photo restauration and its great for somethings and yet for others not so much. So if we wanna keep the image with the features without damage, use remini its better, because with the filter you distort certain features. But if you wanna fix only the color and  the texture photoshop its the best. Taling about restoration the idea that i have its that all the ai filters damage the old images; because you have the texture of the clothes or the people and you have the texture of the photo so if you wanna clean the texture of the picture you damage the other one so we need to come up with a way to separate both like some plugins that already exist that clean images with patterns but leave the texture. The other point its that its useless to restore and old picture with ai if only the ai helps with skin and face we need to think like a database of clothing that ai could replace. I dont know maybe in a future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respect your message but I don't agree.

I restore old photos for over 20 years, and the fact that we have this filter does not force us to use it all the time, we can continue in some photos with traditional photoshop methods, but for people's faces that even families don't remember the physiognomy, this filter is awesome, and it's what many clients want, clean faces to expose their photos in a frame. I wait and hope that it works again perfectly, very, very good.
Sorry for my bad English...I'm French/Portuguese.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last update didn't fix the quality, it's still very strange, I hope it goes back to the adjustments of version 23.4, which was very good. I show another example of an initial restore that I had tested in version 23.4 and the result of the new update 24. You can compare.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesnt photo restoration show up in neural filters? I have downloaded the latest Beta update for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Photoshop Beta (Bugs) forum for you, which I think is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs, installation issues, or account issues such as subscription questions or billing problems, or generalized questions about Creative Cloud services.

* Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.
* Installation questions should be posted in the Download & Install community.
* Account issues, including subscription questions or billing problems, should be posted in the Account, Payment, & Plan community.
* Questions about the Creative Cloud desktop app or general questions about apps in the Creative Cloud should be posted to the Creative Cloud Services community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @VicRattlehead33,

Make sure once you've downloaded the Photoshop beta, that it's the one you're opening. If on Windows, you may need to quit the regular release of Photoshop then open the Photoshop beta (the one with the White icon and blue Ps).

That should give you the correct set of Neural Filters.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can download the filter but I get "We've temporarily disabled this filter because of an error" (see attachment). I followed the advice and deleted the 'PluginData' folder but it didn't work. I've tried with several photos and several resolutions. I'm not on any VPN or network. Just home Macbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can download the filter but I get "We've temporarily disabled this filter because of an error" (see attachment). I followed the advice and deleted the 'PluginData' folder but it didn't work. I've tried with several photos and several resolutions. I'm not on any VPN or network. Just home Macbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me in some photos that have several people, try with a photo of a single face, it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same result with 3 different photos with a single face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it works, some colleagues the filter doesn't even appear, they are working on it, let's hope it returns with the quality it had until version 23.4 because the filter of this version 24.0 shows strange results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the trouble with this one. Strangely, I copied the image from your screenshot and was able to get a result:

PeteGreen_0-1663794664517.png

Will investigate with the team on this one.

Regards,

PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, have a couple additional suggestions that might help. 

1. Make sure your GPU driver is up to date. This can affect the success of Neural Filters. See, https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#GPUandgraphicsdrivertrouble...
  2.  If 1 doesn't work, try disabling the Use Graphics Processor option in the Neural filter dropdown menu. 

PeteGreen_0-1663796559253.png

Let us know if either of those help!

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions Pete but I'm afraid they didn't work. I'm on a 2019 Macbook Pro fully up to date and running perfectly. Disabling the GPU also didn't work.

Very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any more suggestions on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, not at this time @Scott Readman, the team will be adding better error messaging in an upcoming build which might help us understand what's going on here. 

Do you have another system you can try it out on I wonder?

Do any images process successfully?

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have another system I'm afraid but I'm currently on Catalina and was holding out for a while before updating the Monterey so I'll let you know if it works after the update.

p.s. it doesn't work on any image for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it with the photo of your video, see how the filter got worse, a lot...

ps.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using this filter, I receive the "We've temporarily disabled this filter because of an error." message. This and Color Transfer are the only two Beta filters that seem to have this error. Is there any solution available for this yet? I'm most curious to use the Photo Restoration filter, as it will be of great help for an upcoming award ceremony that I'm a part of. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the errors!

We're going to be updating the error messaging in an upcoming version soon to hopefully help shed more light on what's going on.

Things you can try:

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error for me.  Using the latest version of Catalina on mac (10.15.7) and can't get the Photo Restoration filter to work after trying about ten different images of various formats and dimensions.  It's the same error that everyone else is getting "we've temporarily disabled this filter because of an error".  Also tried disabling the "Use Graphics Processor" option in the Neural filter dropdown menu, but it still doesn't work.  Very disappointing, Adobe.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete, 

I was able to successfully use the Photo Restoration and Color Transfer filters on an image earlier after updating my GPU and using Photoshop Beta. However, I attempted to use this on a second image and didn't have much luck. It processed the Photo Restoration filter but produced a pretty poor result. So, I increased the images DPI to 300 (probably should have started with that) and this caused most of the neural filters to not load, even though the image is only roughly 2,000 x 3,000 px. 

I'm glad to have at least made it this far. Hoping to have a better experience soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good that it already works, and it's normal for the pretty poor result, I think they're still in testing, and the latest version is worse. Let's wait for the next update to see if it's good again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the latest Beta, but the "EnhanceFace"-Filter still makes these artificial exaggerated Plastic-Faces 😞

EnhanceFace.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed.... I don't think they are going to improve it to be honest. I
think the idea was based on the earlier Beta method, but something happened
in the background for it to be removed. So this version is a pretty poor
second choice and is actually worse than not having it. But I will keep my
fingers crossed that the previous method gets used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines