Bug - Clipboard problem - Sometimes can't Paste images into existing canvas

0 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, sometimes I get a weird bug where I can't Paste a copied image into an active canvas in photoshop. To fix the problem I have to jump through some specific hoops (hoping this is helpful to you guys for fixing the bug, too)

The problem:
Sometimes when I Right click (in my browser for example) > Copy image > Paste into my acvtive photoshop canvas > The previous/wrong/cached file from the clipboard is pasted in. No matter if i use Ctrl+V or Edit > Paste, same result. 

The solution:
I have to goto File > New (note this is actually the wrong canvas size, it should be the copied file dimensions like it normally is) > Create > Paste now works > Close this new file > Paste again in my canvas and NOW it does work.

It's bizarre. Note this doesn't always happen. Maybe 50% of the time only. 

I'm on windows 10, and I keep my photoshop up to date (subscription)

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using any system utilities on this system? Sounds like there is some sort of clipboard utility installed.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing that doesnt come out of the box with photoshop.

This has been happening for months, and i just reinstalled a fresh Windows this week but am having the exact same issue. So its not a windows system problem (especially because paste will work everywhere else, except photoshop)

It seems like there is a caching bug within photoshop. Because the issue resolve itself once I create a New document and paste the same file from the clipboard there. It's almost like doing this clears some kind of cache bug within photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser are you using? Where is item that gets pasted that's before the item you just copied from your browser from? Was it also copied from the same browser? or a different app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually copy the 'current' image from chrome - where the 'previous' copied image is from is usually copied from chrome as well.  I'll have to pay attention next time if it happens when the 'previous' image is copied from within photoshop - or if the 'current' image ever gives me problems when copied from photoshop as well.

I can paste into MS paint or other programs just fine, like I said this only happens in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to this, I'm currently experiencing this bug again and I get the same result when testing in other browsers: I went to the same image url > copied image > and photoshop is pasting the previous file from photoshop (which was in fact created/copied within photoshop)

That got me thinking maybe its an issue when I copy to clipboard from within photoshop - but nope because I just tried this: New > Create > Paste (works now) > going back to browser and copy/pasting several images works totally fine >  so im testing my theory now and made a selection within photoshop > copy > paste > then back to browser copy / paste but everything still works fine (so my theory is a dud). 

HOWEVER, it just started happening (again again) BUT ONLY on the "large" selected image on google search. The featured image of sites like shutterstock this happens with too. Meanwhile, if i copy/paste from thumbnails it works fine. Super super weird. 

I am 80% certain this is some kind of caching issue within photoshop. Cache is the root of all evil. 

Would it be helpful if i get a screen recording of this maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good clues. Definitely.  A screen recording could be incredibly helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have clipboard history enabled in Windows 10? I think that's what causing this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my settings and I do not have clipboard history enabled. When the bug is happening I can open MS Paint and it pastes fine. If I create a New document in photoshop it pastes fine. When the bug is occuring I cannot paste in my current photoshop file, though. Is there a clipboard history setting within photoshop that might be getting bugged? Or some kind of caching system?

Also, the whole comment I added about "more detail" is irrelevant because it turns out it happens in all kinds of situations and they are not always the same or replicable. When the bug is occuring, the example I gave can sometimes happen, sometimes not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I was able to reproduce something similar to what you describe but only with Clipboard History enabled: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-wrong-image-is-sometimes-pasted-with-clipb...

Underneath the hood, they may be related. Will need engineering to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1) But when you replicate it in photoshop with the clipboard history, do other programs work fine? 
2) Also, curious if when you replicate the bug, that you can fix it with File > New > Paste

This is what leads me to believe its photoshop, and not windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate