• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CTRL+S overwrites original PNG without warning after converting to Smart Object and adding filters

New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applies to Photoshop 24.5 and 24.6 (beta)

To replicate:

1. Open any PNG file, this is a single layer file.
  2. Convert the layer to a Smart Object
  3. Apply any Smart Filter
  4. Press CTRL+W to close the file
  5. Press Yes to save changes
  6. Photoshop will NOT show the "Save As .PSD" dialog window, but instead overwrites the original PNG file without warning, flattening the Smart Object layer and destructively applying any Smart Filters.

Issue does not occur with JPG files.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, the bug is that the Save As dialog is not coming up, to let you save this smart object file as a new psd.

It does not "overwrite" the original, it is just closed as would be normal, since the png format doesn't support this. So the original just goes back to where it came from, entirely unchanged.

So yes, there is a bug of sorts - but not a very serious one, and with a very easy workaround: Save As, not Save. Which is what you would normally use anyway, since we all know that this is unsupported in png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does overwrite the original. For example:

1. Open any PNG
  2. Convert layer to smart object
  3. Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur
  4. CTRL+W > Save or CTRL+S and close
  5. Reopen the PNG. It is now blurred.

I use this workflow to post process rendered images from Blender. These are saved as 16 bit PNG's. In Photoshop I use a Smart Object created from the image to non-destructively apply a Camera Raw filter. Subsequent renders can have the exact same filter applied by replacing the Smart Object. I lose my Smart Filter settings when closing the file and forgetting that Photoshop does not show the Save As dialog as it should. All I have is an image with the filter applied. It's a simple bug, but a very annoying one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right (finally got around to trying it).

Definitely a bug. Not only should this not happen - I can't even wrap my head around how it's possible. It's discarding data without asking. That has never happened before.

It seems this only happens with smart objects. If you try with regular layers - also not supported in a png - you get the normal Save As prompt and it refuses to save to png.

And just to be clear - "Legacy Save As" is off here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines