Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document Window Visual Glitch

Participant ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Development Team, 

I have a show stopping issue with Photshop 24.4.1 on Windows 11 involving document windows inside Photoshop.

The problem is a flickering of the document window's top right corner icons - they rapidly change from gray to white with every brush stroke/mouse interaction - and the window's drop shadows as well as a coresponding flickering of the application window's top right corner icons. The flickering seems to be related to a rapidly repeating focus shift between the main application window and the document window.

I first encountered the issue when using a third party color picker extension. Photoshop behaves normal directly after start. When clicking into the color picker window, the flickering starts. Later I encountered that I can provoke a similar issue when using the native library palette. In that case, the flickering is only happening in the document window (and not the application window) and as an additional problem, the responsiveness of my Wacom pen decreases to an unusable level. 

I've recorded a video to illustrate the issue. In it you can see the normal behavior, the behavior after using the color picker extension palette and the behavior after using the library palette.  Here's a link to the video: https://wormworldsaga.com/PSWindowFlicker.mp4

The behavior can be temporaly reset to normal by clicking on the application icon in the taskbar, which seems to refocus the application. The issue then starts again after using the palettes.

I'd like to point out that the window flickering does not occur in the previous version 23.5.5. However, I just encountered that the performance issue on the pen also happens in 23.5.5. when using the library palette. Hower, in that case there's no window flickering involved.

I'd also like to point out that these issues render Photoshop 24.4.1 useless for me. 

I've attached my system info as a text file.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @daniellieske it appears you are using a third party color sampling tool, have you disabled that and restarted Ps to see if the issue persists? Does the maker of this plugin/tool have an update or any info on their site?

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Cory, 

first I thought that the problem would be exclusive to the third party panels I'm using and I actually contacted the publisher of the tools about the issue. However, he could not replicate my problem and I quickly switched back to an older version of Photoshop to solve the issue for me. After investigating the issue further today, I noticed that the issue is also caused by native Photoshop palettes. I haven't tested all the palettes but it happens at least with the Library palette (which also causes the horrible brush lag) and also the Properties palette and the Color Palette. Curiously, the latter two don't cause brush lag, only the window flickering. In these experiments, the third party extensions were disabled and Photoshop was freshly started.

Anyway, thanks for reacting to my post and I hope I can help to find and/or resolve the source of this issue. I've attached my system info as a text file to my original post.

Greetings, 

DanieL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update @daniellieske 

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and enable “Older GPU mode (pre 2016)” - Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to correct myself: the Color palette actually does not trigger the effect. Other palettes like History, Actions, Brushes, Layers, Channels, Paths, Info, Tool Presets and Brush Settings are also not causing the issue. Palettes that DO cause the issue are (not a complete list): Library, Properties, Characters, Styles.

I'm investigating as I write this and I'm making an interesting observation: All palettes that cause the issue seem to have pulldown menues as a common element. After understanding that, I tried the pulldown menue in the Layers palette and this DOES cause the issue although normal layer selecting in that palette does not cause the problem. 

So, my best guess is that there's a problem with certain UI elements and how they are opened. Presumably in a way that draws the focus away from Photoshop and from that point on constantly switches between the document window and whatever app is in focus when I'm not clicking into the document window. I can't quite believe that I'm the only one having this issue, to be honest.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: “Older GPU mode (pre 2016)” does not change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @daniellieske have you tried to reinstall a clean set of prefs?

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Cory,

It took me a while to find a good moment to perform the suggested reset of my Photoshop preferences. I started a clean version of Photoshop and the problem still persists. I've recorded another video to once again illustrate the effect, now in a vanilla Photoshop 24.4.1: https://wormworldsaga.com/PSWindowFlicker_02.mp4

In the video you can see how I:

1. Paint in a document without touching any palette before.

2. Paint after touching the Properties palette (notice the document window AND application window top right corner icon flicker)
3. Paint after touching the Library palette (notice the lag of the brush and the application window top right corner icons NOT flickering).

Please note that the soft shadow of the document window is also flickering, which adds to the annoyance. I'd like to point out, that the previous version of Photoshop (23.5.5.) does not display a soft shadow around the docoment window at all. For me that indicates that the new Photoshop version handles document windows differently and that might be connected to the whole issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update and info @daniellieske 

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank YOU, Cory, for sticking with me and my strange problem!

I tried changing the setting you suggested, but to no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@daniellieske 

Have you tried disabling your GPU?

Verify if GPU is causing Photoshop issues

Unsure if your graphics processor or driver is the cause of the issue you're facing with Photoshop? Disabling the GPU acceleration will help you narrow down the cause of the issue.

To do so, navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (macOS) and uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Then, restart Photoshop. To learn more about photoshop preferences, see Adjust preferences in Photoshop.

If the problem persists, continue troubleshooting by performing the GPU and graphics driver troubleshooting steps as outlined below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#multiple-gpus

Also, curious if you see the same thing in Ps Beta, you can download it and see if this might be an issue that is fixed in the upcoming release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @daniellieske quick question - have you tried uninstalling the third party color picker completely and see if the issue occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines