• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crash on using Select Subject or Object Selection Tool on Windows

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the new update for Photoshop v23.0. I cannot use the object seletion tool anymore without Photoshop crashing after a few steps.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Ok final data point.. disabling of SMT was having a performance impact on other activities I need to accomplish with higher multithreading requirement. Re-enabled SMT and spent about 10 minutes opening up about various images and used the object selection tool and others. 

All things are stable now. 

Looks like the crashing was a result of the MSI gameboost function within bios being turned on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Hi all,

Please update the Nvidia Graphics drivers to the latest version, which came out last week, and let us know if that helps to resolve the crash issue. For steps, see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#app-crash-with-tools

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

@carlo.molinari Thanks. It's crashing in DirectML.dll. Engineering is looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 236 Replies 236
236 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop 2022 crashing when i use object selection tool !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system.

If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system.

If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're tracking a couple of crashing issues with the Object Selection tool. Be sure to submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html so we can confirm you're hitting the known issues, or hitting something else we need to investigate.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have something you need to investigate - TESTING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version 23.0.0 installed and using a Nvidia GTX 1050 TI graphics card, 16 gig ram, and scratch disc on the same drive. Everyting runs fine except when I click on the "select object" tool, the entire computer crashes. restarts and come back. Everything in PS2022 was lost if it wasn't saved. The file doesn't even show in the opening window as having been open. 

I renamed the select file. 

I was on line with an Adobe tech and showed him what happens. He said it was my graphics card. 

This is a "repeatable" bug. It is like the coding for that button is to shut down the computer. There is no way I can use the "select object" tool. 

I downloaded the previous version 22.x.x and it crashes now too using the same tool. It seems that all the other tools are working. 

This version seems to be the worst that I have seen from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this happen also in 22.5.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.0.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 11/10/2021

When you hold the left click down on the magic wand tool, to the drag it over in the drop down menu to select the "object select tool". Once you let go of the left click to select the "object select tool" the program will close out automatically. Please fix this. It's super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue 2023 crashes with selection tool. I have a geforce-gtx-650ti  graphics card just in case. Then When I try to roll back a version same issue as usally "Instalaltion Failed". This cost me a job Interivew Yeseterday when I had a timer count down to do a design and Photoshop said " no no no no no" Really need to better test your software before release. This isnt the first time you've done this with Photoshop.

PhotoShop crashes when I use selection tool. I ca'nt work!  Then when I try to roll it back, i get "Installation Failled". You guys really need to fix these issues. The installation is one been going on and off for 5 years!

My Graphics Card is: Geforce-gtx-650ti.

MyProcessor is a: I-7-3770K 3.5GHZ

Memory is 16 GB Ram

Ok so Photoshop 2030 crashes out so bad its non-usable. Lost a Job Interview for this and now I'm trying to roll back Installation and I cannot download any version of Photoshop I get the ERROR 113 - AND it is not any network error on my behalf since I just redownloaded like 8 programs the other day since I moved my installations to another drive. Why the hell for the past 5 years this application constantly doesn’t allow downloads without removing the entire application and reinstalling? Seriously man I’m a programmer as well and I feel you have some terrible programmers and testing in the company. Stop releasing the next version until you test it with beta testers in the real world!

Guess what? I can’t work and make money and I’m paying you for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alfadoctor and @markh44156571 I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system. If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system. If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen the release of version PS 23.0.1 today and tried upgrading to it again today after reading of fixes to 23.0.0.  After upgrade PS opens OK and does not crash when I open a Tiff file (which it was doing before).  False hope!  Sadly after opening a tiff file and selecting the Object selection tool my computer crashes into a full reboot again like before.  I repeated this again and whilst stable in all other ways it crashes the instant I select the object selection tool.  So sadly I have uninstalled this version again and staying with version 22.5.3 which remains completely stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Photoshop 2022 / 23.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using Object Selection Tool on small square of white canvas I waited 30 seconds to end of process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still experiencing this issue, I reverted to Photoshop version 22.5.3 and Photoshop has not crashed since. This might be the best option until they can provide a fix for this issue. If it crashes again for the same reason I will update you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I reverted down to 22.0.1 and that works fine for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scottm28807177 A computer restart usually means a low level failure such as a driver (bad video card driver, etc), failing hardware (hard disk, video card, etc.) or damaged OS installation. In this case, I would suspect your video card and driver. 

First, prior to opening a document, go to Preferences > Performance and click on the "Advanced Settings" button. Uncheck Use OpenCL, restart Photoshop and try your steps to see if the problem persists.

If that doesn't work, go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@graysonv14194099 @markh44156571 Is your whole computer crashing or just Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453  Just photoshop is crashing for me. And unfortunately no crash report dialogue appears either. I have tried the trick listed on "https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html" to force the dialogue box to appear, but that doesn't work either. PS just closes without warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 23.0.1 insta-quit/closes "crashes" for me as well - immediately on clicking on the object selection tool.
All other functions in PS seem to work sofar.
Windows OS does not crash nor does the PC, just PS.

It does not seem like crash reports are generated (if they are I have yet to be able to find them).
Brand new i7-12700K PC with 64GB RAM, win 11 pro, and an Nvidia GTX960 GPU. All drivers and software are up-to-date (have November 2021 dates).

After finding this thread and doing some troubleshooting I have found:

• Photoshop v22.5.1 works fine (thank you to @Kukurykus for the suggestion), no issue with the same object select tool (I am using this version as a workaround until v23.0.x is fixed).
  • On v23.0.1 with very small 50x50 pixel files, the object select tool does not crash PS. Once I get up to a ~250x250 pixel, blank new file, the object select tool starts to crash PS to the Win 11 desktop.
  • The crashing behavior happens regardless of all of the existing troubleshooting steps (mostly around video card setting and drivers).

So, in short - with 2 versions of PS installed at the same time, and one works but the other crashes, it seems to be an issue with v23.0.1 that does not exist in v22.5.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Да действиттельно, и у меня такая проблема, мой microsoft surface laptop 3 прекрасно работает, а программа зависает намертво, ОБНОВЛЕНИЕ У МЕНЯ НЕ РЕШИЛО ПРОБЛЕМУ... ау разработчики и модераторы... работайте лучше и решайте проблему... зачем платить деньги за некачесвенный продукт...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Да действиттельно, и у меня такая проблема, мой microsoft surface laptop 3 прекрасно работает, а программа зависает намертво, ОБНОВЛЕНИЕ У МЕНЯ НЕ РЕШИЛО ПРОБЛЕМУ... ау разработчики и модераторы... работайте лучше и решайте проблему... зачем платить деньги за некачесвенный продукт...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alexey Nosov Your issue is something different. A freeze and a crash are completely different. I'll reply to your other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steph218128400la1 Are you seeing a crash or freeze where you need to force quit. If the former - I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system. If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

Couple of things to try:

1. If you restore your preferences using this manual method does it work correctly?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.

2. Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate