• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: A way to change the shortcut Alt+Right Click to the much better Mac verision of Ctrl+Alt [2017]

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pc shortcut to quickly change the brush size and hardness on the pc is very counter-intuitive. Is there any way to change this to ctrl+alt as it is in Mac. This works so much better.

I have looked in Keyboard Shortcuts and it just seems to give they option to change the [ ] and {} shortcuts.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Elizabeth,

The keyboard shortcuts to change the brush size and hardness are the same on both Windows and Mac.  They are easily customizable via Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and then selecting Tools and scrolling down.

There is also a Heads Up Display (HUD) method to set all of these (plus color too!).  On Mac, hold down OPT+CMD and click to do this.  On Windows hold down ALT and right-click to do the same.  Add Shift in too and you can set your color.  Hit the Spacebar and you can isolate the color, so you can play with the Hue.

Hope that helps,
Enjoy!
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello David,

I think what Elizabeth was asking is whether it is possible to change the command (Alt + right-click) to something else, like (Alt + left-click). That's what I would like to know, because that command would make more sense for tablet users.

- Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I meant. Thank you for explaining it better! It's very annoying isn't it.

Lizzy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Elizabeth and Sean,

I can ask, but I believe that would be an architectural change, requiring some non-trivial work.  It would be helpful to have some user testimonials about how such a change would (positively) impact their workflow.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt left click is good for picking colour as always. I would suggest alt+ctrl+ left click for changing brush size and hardness. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the keyboard shortcuts in photoshop should be user customizable.

A big reason is an awful lot of the default "unchangeable" keyboard shortcuts do not work on any keyboard other than US English keyboards.

A big help, at least on the mac side, would be to allow the photoshop keyboard shortcuts to be changed/added using Apple>System Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts. Adobe Bridge allows this, but why not photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JEA,

I actually agree with you.  Could you share how this impacts your workflow, so folks unfamiliar with non-US-centric expectations can relate?  I believe this is an issue of perception.

As for using Apple's method, yeah, for a huge product like Photoshop, that's neither easy nor a good idea.

Thanks,
David

p.s. -- this already has a feature request -- I'm soliciting more arguments for the importance of this effort...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

I am a professional retoucher who has spent my entire career on a mac. I am now also using a pc because I have added 3d rendering to my skillset, and wanted to take advantage of Redshift renderer. I use a wacom tablet and the control+option then drag on a mac to change the size/hardness with a pen, was so quick and efficient. On a pc the alt+right click then drag, is very cumbersome while using a pen. I constantly spin the wacom pen in my hand and thus change the position of the two buttons on the wacom pen. Having to spin and find the buttons to use this shortcut is very frustrating and slow. Being able to change this shortcut to something like ctrl+alt and then drag with the pen would be huge for speeding up my workflow. With how often I use this shortcut on a mac across various tools, not being able to change this possibly means strictly retouching professionally only on my mac. 

Hope this helps and makes sense as to the importance of being able to change this shortcut for my workflow! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bingo! that's the primary issue here... brush size changing with a wacom on pc is a nightmare to set up. And the shortcuts should also be consistent between the two platforms for those users who have to switch back and forth for their jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bingo! that's the primary issue here... brush size changing with a wacom on pc is a nightmare to set up. And the shortcuts should also be consistent between the two platforms for those users who have to switch back and forth for their jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeremy, for your detailed answer.  I'm going to use that to submit a feature request to customize this shortcut.  If others have similar stories, please, chime in, as user stories help us rank the importance of various issues.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example of another with a French keyboard
(very last reply)

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/Photoshop-CC-shortcuts-for-to-rotate-clone-stamp/td-p/60402...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another with German keyboard that needs Tilde for photoshop cc 2020.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/Tilde-for-Photoshop-CC-2020-on-german-keyboard/td-p/1071428...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's worse is the photoshop help manual in the German language says for
Wechseln Sie mit derselben Pinselspitze zwischen Malen und Radieren (Change between painting and erasing with the same brush tip) it says to Halten Sie ~ (Tilde-Taste) gedrückt. (Hold down ~ (tilde key). That would be great except the fact that German Language keyboards don't have a tilde key.

https://helpx.adobe.com/de/photoshop/using/default-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Jeremy described earlier, tying this functionality to the right-click on PC is extremely cumbersome when working with a Wacom tablet, especially if you prefer to set up the buttons on your pen for switching between layers like I was taught. An option to change this keybind should really be added to the Keyboard and Shortcuts Menu. I too would love to have it set to Ctrl-Alt similar to how I use it on Mac. I'm two months into my switch from Mac to PC and I'm already losing my mind trying to make this fit my workflow and I'm coming up short, hence spending an evening googling for solutions. David, it would be great if you could pass this on to the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this needs to be updated as there is no reason this should be locked to a right-click or specific modifier key.  That being said, as a current work around I set one of the express keys on my Wacom to be Alt - Right-Click which allows me to hold down the key and hover the pen to set size and hardness with relative precision and then just release the express key to lock the setting in.  I would rather not be using an express key for this but it at least is better then using a pen button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this needs to be updated as there is no reason this should be locked to a right-click or specific modifier key.  That being said, as a current work around I set one of the express keys on my Wacom to be Alt - Right-Click which allows me to hold down the key and hover the pen to set size and hardness with relative precision and then just release the express key to lock the setting in.  I would rather not be using an express key for this but it at least is better then using a pen button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, shortcuts that use right-clicks aren't customizable, nor do they work well with some third-party devices, often due to driver issues on the hardware side.

Tom and Michael, if you could share some user stories about how this change would be valuable to you and other's workflows, I can try and get some eyes on the issue.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elizabeth, CTRL on a Mac is a right-click; the equivalent to CTRL is CMD on a Mac.

Also, many functions use the CTRL key, it is a (tremendouly useful) shortcut to the Move tool, so you would be breaking other shortcuts along the way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, digital painters use the brush resize feature constantly . While the standard shortcut keys are there, they are very cumbersome when trying to switch brush sizes quickly, or extremely (e.g. from really small to really big). Other popular programs like Clip Studio Paint and Corel Painter allow you to do this with Ctrl-Alt + and a drag of the pen.

Right click is very inconvenient with a pen, and the pen customization software (Pentablet used by XP-Pen, or WinTab for Wacom) do not easily allow for a shortcut setting of Alt + Right Click. Normally we would have to use 2 hotkeys to get Alt and right click, and if we accidentally touch the screen it considers that a left click and decides we were trying to use the color picker.

The simple ability to adjust this like the rest of the shortcuts would really help a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Right click is very inconvenient with a pen" 

This is so trueeee, I can't believe there wasn't that many people complaint about it more!!!
This is definietly bugging a lot of digital artist using Windown 

Well...  Clip studio, Medibang,.. have the Ctrl+Alt+Drag (left drag) since so long and Pts still have change their shortcut till now... Shame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 11/27/23. Has there been a fix for this? I've been trying to find a solution for weeks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updated: So I managed to change my pen button function to right mouse click and that's how I've deal with Pts. 
So if I hold the button I can freely change the brush size/density by draging pen on air right/left, up/down.

tMing_Ng_0-1701128196977.png

Votes

Translate

Translate