• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Alternate Type Glyphs Not Working in 2023 (v24.x)

Contributor ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 24.0.0. When I use the font Leander Script Pro Bold (a script font), alternate letters show when I rollover the letter, but when I try to choose an alternative, it doesn't change. I opened the file in Photoshop 23.3.2 and it worked just fine.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

This issue should be fixed in 24.0.1

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amy Pace Thank you for reporting the issue with Pauline Didone Variable font in Photoshop. I was able to reproduce the issue. It seems the alternate glyphs with this font have never worked with any past and current versions of Photoshop. I will report this as a bug so that our engineering team can investigate the cause and solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ktaki I'm having the same issue with the same font. Is there any fix coming? If not, Adobe may want to either pull the font from their catalog or contact the creator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amy Pace I think it may just be that font. I'm having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually posted my 'reply' in the Fonts forum and the moderators moved it to PhotoShop. The moderators must know that there is a larger issue affecting more fonts. I have experienced a couple other Adobe fonts with glitches like this but this is the first time I paused and reported it. Usually I just find a workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. This suddenly started happening to me in June/ July 2023. Cannot believe this glitch was reported s long ago and is still occurring. No matter what I do the alternate character will not turn back to the standard character once changed (and yes I have the related preference checked in Preferences.)... I also have the issue that no glyphs show at all for several fonts which DO have alternate characters within the font.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 19.03.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

September 2023 and this issue has STILL NOT been resolved?

Shame, Adobe.

Shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they ever going to fix this? I just dropped twelve bucks on a font specifically to get the alternate glyphs and I can't use them. I tried an older version of PS as well and same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem across all Adobe apps with many fonts (Adobe and others, but not all of them). In InDesign, I have had some success duplicating my character style and naming it "alternates" then assigning the Opentype features and Stylistic set I wanted to that style, then using it wherever I want the glyphs. But it is so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off a remote session with Adobe and because they found other fonts that were *not* affected by this issue they told me to contact the type creator.

I explained that this is affecting multiple people and multiple fonts and that this font worked a year ago, so there's no excuse for it to not be Adobe's fault.

I read out Amy Pace's reply above me to them.

They hung up on me.

If anyone knows of any good free typesetting alternatives let me know :') I cannot do my job while this is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting customer service approach if that was on purpose. Let's hope it wasn't. Some of the fonts affected are from the Adobe repository so if it's the font author, Adobe should now be communicating the issue to the authors under contract. I'm working on a publication at this moment using Adobe's distributed Montserrat. In order to use the alt glyphs, I have created 2 character styles, "fancy" and "plain" (you can guess which is which). I highlight the letter I want to fancify and click the style name in the character style window (sometimes I have to click PLAIN then FANCY for it to work). Then I apply any other font characteristics like size, leading, weight. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not fixed at all. Anything I type turns into glyphs after using one single glyph in any font. Maybe in 10 years the bug will be solved....until that, what should we do if we cannot type regular text inside photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@nicoles67567231 wrote They hung up on me.

Did you happen to get a case number at the very start of the call?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate