• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Arrow key's stop working in type tool / text in CS6

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using a type/text area in PS my keyboard arrow key's sometimes just stop working. There's just no more feedback and I have to restart PS to 'fix' the problem. This is a very annoying bug which really degrades my productivity!

Please help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013
We've released an update to correct this issue:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 129 Replies 129
129 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Sander,

When you say that the arrow keys quit working, what do you mean? Within the text layer itself? You're no longer able to move your cursor? Or in other pars of the app? What OS are you running? Can you get this bug reliably? Could you share more detailed steps?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks for replying!

When working in a paragraph text layer (copying, selecting, pasting etc.) the cursor stops responding. I can't move it through the text. This happens most of the time after making some adjustments in the character or paragraph settings window. I can reproduce the bug when adjusting the leading:

1. Create a paragraph text 'box'
2. Add some text and confirm with the enter key (bottom right of numpad)
3. Select text again (just some words)
4. Adjust leading
5. Enter to confirm
6. Select text again and the cursor is refusing my commands :-(

I'm running OSX Lion and Creative Cloud. Before installing CC last week I did a full clean install of OSX so there's absolutely no clutter from previous Adobe versions or questionable software.

Thanks,
Sander

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I and a colleague have exactly the same problem!

Look forward to a fix from Adobe soon.

Thanks,
Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this problem as well. Usually have to confirm the text, then switch apps (e.g. - from Photoshop to FireFox). Once I return to Photoshop, I can use the arrow keys within the text box to move the cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christopher (and others - especially David),

There's still no satisfying answer from Adobe about this issue which I find very frustrating. It already made me pretty angry a couple of times when working on a deadline, and I'm a 'never-angry-kind-of-guy' :-s

Please Adobe, fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, can you please give us some feedback on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Sander,

I cannot reproduce this problem at all. I've tried on multiple machines, but everything is running smoothly for me. I've tried both the Creative Cloud version as well as the Perpetual install (there really shouldn't be ANY difference, but I'm just trying to be thorough). I'm guessing there's either some little step missing or another app triggering this. Do you get this all the time? Could we do a connect session to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem. Had it in the beta, too. It's unbearably frustrating.

While in this state, Photoshop also will not respond to shortcuts, such as fn+return (to commit text and leave text editing mode)/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to be able to reproduce it fairly consistently:

1. Focus an existing piece of Paragraph Text (by double clicking it in the Layers panel)
2. Resize it

Boom. Broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by paragraph text?
How are you resizing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing you mean a text box, and you're using the handles on the text box -- until you commit, the text is still selected and keys contribute to the type in the box.

I've just tried everything I can think of around that scenario, and can't reproduce a problem.

Can you give us more exact steps, and information about your platform, etc. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To commit text you can press:

The Enter key on the numeric keypad
CONTROL/COMMAND+Enter
The Check Box on the Options Bar

Until then, Photoshop is in a modal state and therefore most shortcuts and commands are disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Paragraph Text", as oppose to "Point Text".

I'm afraid there are no more steps to give. This happens at least 50% of the time I interact with a text box, whether I resize it or not. It's frequent, intermittent, and frustrating.

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4
MacBook Pro, 15", Early 2011
2GHz i7 / 8 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't say how you were resizing, and we need enough details to the steps to reproduce the problem.

Do you have any screen recording utilities (like Jing) so you could record the process and show us what you're seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue in Photoshop CS6 where you have some text, in my case most times it is paragraph text, you click into edit it and place your cursor somewhere with the mouse then make an edit, the keyboard cursor keys stop working altogether so you can go forward or back or up or down in the text box. The only way to get around it is to mouse click somewhere else in the text string then try and see if the cursor keys work then - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Also the DELETE key has the same issues, it doesn't work either sometimes, same as the arrow keys. This is super annoying as a full time graphic designer - it is driving me mental. Please fix this ASAP Adobe. I'm on an iMac 3.4Ghz i7 10.7.4 Build 11E53 Lion OS and all updates installed, just installed CS6 about 1-2 weeks ago, happening since install. CS5 is not having these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the previous discussion -- we need to know steps to reproduce this, because we have not seen this behavior at all within Adobe.

Is there some other app or utility involved, or are there certain steps needed?
We really need all the info we can get to reproduce the problem, then we can figure out what is causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what more detail I can give,my comment is specific in description of how the problem occurs, and it happens all the time. A simple text edit causes the problem. Taking a video of it isn't going to help either as nothing happens, you place your cursor in a spot to edit text, then try and use the arrow keys but they are disabled. If you want to do a remote session with me or to Skype me to chat about it happy to do that, just email me on my account address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other people can't reproduce the problem - so there is most likely some factor that you've missed. Maybe another application open at the time, maybe an OS setting, maybe a Flash Panel or third party plugin -- something that would cause this odd behavior that happens for a few people, but not most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my version from CS5 which does not have the issue. Other than that, I have Outlook, MS Office 2011, Dropbox, Skype, Final Cut and about 20 other applications installed, but not all open, usually only Skype, Dropbox, Safari and Outlook with Photoshop. Closing any of these does not eliminate the issue, makes no difference. CS5 works without a problem, so it isn't my machine, it is the CS6 software failing from within the program itself. What should I do here - it is somewhat unusable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running CS6 on OSX Lion and I am having the same issue with the arrow keys and delete buttons. I hope Adobe fixes this ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem now in CS6. Nothing's changed on my machine from when I had CS4 and went to CS6. I'm on OSX Snow Leopard, and have no external plugins for Photoshop. It happened right from the first time I used CS6, even in the beta version (which caused me to stop using the beta). Happens all the time using Photoshop now, I have to switch to another application and back to make it usable again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few people have reported similar issues, and exiting their browser solved it.

Most people aren't seeing the problem - so that rules out a simple bug in the application. Most likely it is something else interfering, or some other factor that you left out of your description (like running a third party plugin, or some particular operation before this) that triggers the problem -- and we need to figure out what. But since we cant' reproduce the problem, and you can, we need you to help troubleshoot it on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the preceeding comments -- we can't reproduce this, and most other users aren't seeing it.

We need to know what you are doing, or what else might be interferring with Photoshop CS6. Until we know that and can reproduce it, we have no hope of finding the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem with no other applications running, so not sure what you want me to provide. I'm sure everyone is willing to help to get this resolved - please provide step by step instructions for what we should be looking at and what to do and how to report to Adobe.

Is there a menu we can look at for third party plug-ins or a dump we can provide Adobe - where do we look for this? What do you want to know, please be very specific. If you need more info, guide us to look for what info you want to know and exactly where to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to reinforce what the others are saying that this is massively productivity-killing but difficult to say how to reproduce as it happens all the time. I don't think there are any designers in our office that aren't are having this issue (at least 4).

In my case for what it's worth, I'm running a completely up to date OS X with CS6 web premium (just PS and AI installed). I removed every trace of CS5.5 which had been previously installed. I often have Chrome, Firefox, Coda 2, Illustrator, Keynote, iA Writer as well as menu bar apps such as backblaze, colorsnapper, snapruler, droplr & sparrow open at the same time.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate