• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Arrow key's stop working in type tool / text in CS6

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using a type/text area in PS my keyboard arrow key's sometimes just stop working. There's just no more feedback and I have to restart PS to 'fix' the problem. This is a very annoying bug which really degrades my productivity!

Please help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013
We've released an update to correct this issue:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 129 Replies 129
129 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already heard a couple of complaints about the Magic Mouse. There are some settings which take control of keyboard input which cause problems for Photoshop as well as other applications. If you would like, I can walk you through it via a connect session.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, try closing Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Imran,

Did you read the previous comments? Are you running Chrome? Are you using a Magic Mouse? Have you checked your third-party pointer/mouse/keyboard utilities. We've heard about this problem several times, but each time the cause has been one of these. If you have clear steps indicating Photoshop, however, we'd be happy to walk through it with you.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you specify which Magic Mouse settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't have that setup as I was helping a user via a connect session. There is a command under the preferences which takes control of keyboard shortcuts. When we tested it, there seemed to be a lag when that command was enabled. If you would like, I can try and walk you through it via a connect session today. I'll follow up with an email.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the EXACT same problem.

Brand new machine, MBP running Mountain Lion.

First time ever using CS6, first PSD from scratch in CS6, noticed this problem right away while running a bunch of other crap.

Went back, tested, closing things arbitrarily and tested again to reproduce the problem. I was able to see the problem go away by some of the following: >> Closing Firefox, Closing Microsoft programs, Saving the File within PS CS6,

Short of it is this: it's not consistent.

I can boot up from dead, with a couple of things running in the background. Dreaded Symantec Antivirus. A Novell client for some shared drives. That's it. And still reproduce the problem while running only Photoshop.

A sequence of operations that I've performed to BOTH produce it and not produce it: >>

Open Recent> select file
Move tool> Select Text Box Layer
Nudge>Keyboard Arrow Up>nudge nudge nudge
"T" Text Tool
Click Select anywhere in the same text box.
Keyboard arrow to Navigate the Paragraph is non responsive. Cursor remains still.

Sometimes I may change the leading or kerning on a line of text and then try to unselect it by the arrow key, and it will have become non-responsive.

Sometimes the behavior will appear only after I've selected several text boxes and modified text at least one of them.

The font for this file is, indeed, Helvetica Neue, but it came with the install, I thought? It's also the standard publication font for my work, so, I can't delete it. Nor can I disable Symantec. Nor can I downgrade from Mountain Lion.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics Processor, which I disabled, by unchecking the GPU box. But I can still reproduce the problem and it sucks.

My personal workaround is going to be InDesign, for whatever I do next with heavy text, with the hope that this problem is limited to PS and not CS6 broadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem with the unresponsive arrow keys, but restarting the open browser seemed to fix.

Details:
Photoshop CS6 Extended 13.0 x64
Safari 6.0 (8536.25)
OS X 10.8.1
13-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Air, 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read all the comments and have exactly the same problem. However, I've had CS6 installed for quite a while now and the bug only just started appearing after I uninstalled an old version of Growl. No idea if this is the cause or helpful at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jason,

Just so you know, there have been some problems with various tablet devices on Mountain Lion, the version of Helevtica Neue which ships with the OS has had some problems, and Chrome can trigger keyboard interception as can other programs which "sit on top"/go semi-modal or monitor input. That said,
I'd like to follow up with you via a connect session, so we can get to the bottom of your problem. If we can isolate it within Photoshop, then we can fix it otherwise hopefully we can figure out a workaround.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's interesting that you mention that, Anders. I've work with two users yesterday alone that had Growl installed.... Hmmm....

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem and it all happened after CS6 was installed. Please fix this Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening and it's still affecting my workflow. I got a new computer (a retina) and it's happening on this machine as well.

So far, I haven't heard anyone from Adobe even admit to the issue.

AGAIN: The Command, Option and arrow keys will intermittently stop working while using the type tool. This means I can not move through the field with the arrow keys, I can not commit the text changes with Cmd+Return, and I can not type certain characters, such as a right-angle quote (»).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't been able to reproduce this.
We still suspect it's interference from other applications - but we don't know because we can't debug what we can't reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand this being a complicated issue, given that the Adobe Employees are not able to reproduce it, and the numerous system configurations possible.

My thoughts are this though. I have had this same problem on two machines, both iMacs – one a 2007 and the other only one refresh old. So given that most of the responses have been about interference from other applications, I decided to do an entirely fresh install of Mountain Lion on both machines and, aside from the OS, install only Photoshop. Bam, still happens on both machines.

Since I have used these exact same machines to run CS5 (as well as having used Photoshop since version 4.0) and never had this issue before, I'm having a hard time with the idea that a clean install would still leave the ball in the users court.

I've seen responses saying that closing the browser solves the issue. I've seen responses saying that the magic mouse is to blame. Perhaps it's Mountain Lion.

My question is this, if I've done a clean install with Photoshop as the only application on the Machine, what are my options as a user? Safari is the default browser on the Mac. Magic Mouse comes with every new desktop Mac – as well as Mountain Lion.

If you were able to reproduce this issue you would understand exactly how frustrating it is when working in Photoshop eight to ten hours a day, five days a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet only some people see the issue, and we can't reproduce it on clean or dirty systems despite using Photoshop many hours a day everyday.
Yeah, we're frustrated that there's something we can't explain or solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The frustration is understood. I spent two days doing a clean install (which involved replacing all of my other settings and applications after the failed attempt at solving the issue) simply to try and overcome this issue with Photoshop.

I wasn't trying to be critical in my message, just expressing the frustration that I get paid to work in Photoshop, not on Photoshop, and genuinely asking what I, a user who has done a clean install on machines that have not had this issue prior to CS6, can do to help the debugging process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try just watching what you do: what steps did you take just before things go wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Derek,

I'd be happy to follow up with you and try to walk through the problem with you. I'll send you an email so we can set something up. Truly, we would like to isolate the problem and solve it for everyone; I think I can speak for Chris when I say we take user complaints seriously!

I'm not saying that this is the case with this problem, but it's been my experience with similar problems that it's usually a focus or workflow issue. But I know that new OSes can wreck havoc on widgets and sometimes the most bizarre constellation of apps can cause crazy stuff.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon,
Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yeah, and nice kitty pic too! 8-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share some more specific examples of how you get this problem? Does it happen reliably? What other apps do you have running at the same time? If you have an easily reproducible case, I'd love to see it and can set up a connect session via the Internet to do so.

We do want to get to the bottom of this, but like Chris said, we can't fix what we can't see.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue since CS6, using Creative Cloud on OS X 10.8.2 - MBP Retina. Hopefully it will be worked out soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I am editing text in Photoshop CS6, my arrow keys do not work. I cannot move the text cursor around the text with my arrow keys. This starting to bug me a lot and I would like to know why it doesn't work, or how to fix it. They worked fine in CS5, it was since I updated to CS6 that they no longer work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are things progressing with a fix for this? I also find that the same issue applies to using the delete key, but not the backspace key (which stupidly on my Mac keyboard is also called Delete... genius) - I mean the one that deletes ahead of the cursor, next to the end key.

I can reliably reproduce the issue, then fix it, every time by doing the following steps:
1. Go into a text box, select all the text, then change something such as the font size, line height, or any character value.
2. Hit Enter to commit the text changes.
3. Click back into the text box. Cannot use arrow keys.
4. Exit the text box (esc)
5. Click out of Photoshop, into another app, Chrome for instance.
6. Go back into Photoshop, can click into text box and use arrow keys ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dan Harvey: YES

exactly... one important thing I'd like to point out about this that may help Adobe to hone in on this bug is that you need to press 'Enter' while the font size field is still selected. for instance you select some text, click on the font size field, and then hit the up arrow a few times to increase font size.

now at this point if i simply click on the text somewhere to deselect first and THEN commit changes everything is fine. BUT, if i hit enter while immediately after changing font sizes, while the font size field is still active, that is when the arrow keys (among other things) will lock up.

at this point the only thing to do is to switch to another app and back to photoshop and voila, everything is fine.

These steps reproduced on a Macbook Pro, early 2008, running 10.8.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is what's happening with my version. Except I don't have to click away from photoshop.

I found that by clicking on the font-size text field in either the character palette or the options bar then clicking back to my text box also fixes the issue.

Pressing 'Enter' from the font-size field is what's been breaking it consistently for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate