Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Arrow keys stop working in type tool / text in CC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

sometimes the arrow keys for moving the cursor in a text field do not work so I'd have to use the mouse to reposition the type cursor. After a restart of Photoshop everything works fine again.

There were some people with this issue in PS CS6 but as I use CC I decided to start a new topic.

System Info:
Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.2.1 (14.2.1 20140207.r.570 2014/02/07:23:00:00) x64; Operating System: Mac OS 10.9.2

Would be pleased if anyone knows a way to fix this.

Cheers
czery

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015
This should be fixed in the Photoshop CC (2015) update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
43 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not embarrassed about anything, but you can't swear on this site. Like I said, the original issue that was 100% reproducible with consistent steps was fixed. We'll need consistent steps to reproduce to try and fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried looking into this bug several times.  I was working on this just yesterday, in fact.

I cannot reproduce it using either the shipping or development versions of Photoshop on Mac OS 10.10 or 10.9.  

My machines are, admittedly, very "clean" -- that is, they have very little additional software installed other than Photoshop and, sometimes, other applications such as Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Firefox, Chrome, etc.  My hardware is all standard -- keyboard and mouse, but no tablets and nothing "fancy."  In this configuration, I cannot reproduce the bug you are describing or any problem with the arrow keys and text.  That doesn't mean that I don't believe there's a problem, only that that I do not believe it's is caused by Photoshop alone -- there CLEARLY is some sort of interaction going on here that causes the arrow keys to fail.

Jeff is totally right -- this problem might have similar effects to the previous bug, but that one was reproducible AND solved several years ago.  This one still lacks a "smoking gun" needed to figure out the cause.  I will again ask people with this problem to:

a) supply as much detail as possible about their setup and what they were doing during the session that caused the bug.  If this really is a simple or frequent bug, it should be fairly quick and easy to reproduce from launch, right?  Please share this information, so I can try and track down the cause.  What Timo did, above, was awesome and is tremendously helpful.  Unfortunately, this does NOT cause my system to hiccup.

b) I will again offer to do a web-hosted screenshare with anyone having this problem in order to try to diagnose your system, application, etc.  This is free, safe, and easy.  I do it with users LITERALLY all over the globe, every week.  All you need is an internet connection, a phone line (the call is toll-free in most countries), and you might have to install an Adobe browser plugin.

We really do want to solve this issue, but without detailed clues, it's darn near impossible to solve.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your complete and detailed response. I was frustrated earlier because it seemed like this was a nonissue based on the responses that have been posted. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

It seems like I overlooked something. I just encountered something new:

Interacting with another windows input text is _not_ causing the bug. Instead it happens every time when I change the application focus out of Photoshop and change the focus back into Photoshop with clicking somewhere on the Application Frame. So for example I click the Layers Panel, or the Navigator, or the Tools section, to change my focus back to Photoshop.
It won't happen when I change the focus back into Photoshop with clicking the Photoshop Icon in the App Bar or clicking into the empty space of a document.

Sorry for confusing you with the Chrome Input thing – it just worked every time because I change focus back into Photoshop with clicking on the Navigator. It's an habit.

If I can help fixing this bug with a screenshare, I'd love to help you.

Best
Timo

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition:

Let's assume the arrow keys don't work anymore because I clicked on the Application Frame.

Deactivating and activating the Application Frame is not the only solution to make the keys work again. It kinda work's vice versa.

So when I change focus to another window and back into Photoshop without clicking somewhere on the Application Frame, e.g. with clicking on the Photoshop Icon in the App Bar, the arrow keys will work again.

To clear all confusions, here's what I do:

0. Application Frame is activated. New Document, make Text with Text Tool, arrow keys will work.
1. Change focus to another window.
2. Change focus back to Photoshop with clicking a Panel/Window in the Application Frame of Photoshop. I like to click the Navigator, but it works with every Panel.
3. Select Text with Text Tool, arrow keys won't work.
----
4. Change focus to another window.
5. Change focus back to Photoshop with clicking into the open document or with clicking the App Icon.
6. Select Text with Text Tool, arrow keys work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timo, thanks. I can reproduce with those steps. I'll work with David to log a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem, it occurs randomly from time to time.

Photoshop CC 2014.2.2
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
MacBook Pro with external Apple keyboard

>> Timo Mämecke wrote:
>> Simply deselecting View > Application Frame and selecting it again seems to do the trick, too

Yep, this 'hack' helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Timo,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Yes, your steps are perfect and I can now reproduce the problem. I've gone ahead and logged a bug against this.

Thanks much for your steps and sorry for the trouble this error has caused,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I could help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often I double-click a text layer to edit and while I can type to replace all the text, I cannot use the arrow keys to move the cursor to edit just part of it. When this happens the Enter key also fails to commit the changes. Does not happen all the time. Is a productivity slower-downer.

This happens in CC and CC2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information.  We're aware of the problem and working on a fix for an upcoming release.  The new version of this bug, however, is actually unrelated to the previous incarnation.  Hopefully, the next update will solve this for you.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in the Photoshop CC (2015) update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey. I wish it was. It Isn't.

See this screen recording, you'll hear some thudding sounds, that is me hitting my arrow keys trying to move the cursor after double-clicking the text layer to edit it.
http://www.screencast.com/t/WG5PIEPt6

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to CC 2015 and tested it directly: the originally reported bug is fixed, the arrow keys will work. BUT what you are experiencing is correct, this still seems to be a small failure. (imo very small failure in relation to the original bug)

If Photoshop is *not* in the foreground and you jump straight into the TextEdit mode by clicking the Icon in the Layers Panel and bringing Photoshop back to the foreground, the arrow keys won't work directly. *But* if you leave the text editing and edit the text again, the arrow keys will work. At least for me, I tested a few scenarios.

This means they will work again without switching application frame off and on again.

The only scenario where the arrow keys won't work are by double-clicking the Text Icon in the Layers Panel, if Photoshop is not in the foreground. If it's in the foreground, it'll work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean, that if I am in another app and 2x-click the text layer in the layer panel while PS is in background you're right, I cannot navigate inside the text layer via the keyboard.

However, I still have the problem the next time I try to 2x-click a text layer now that PS is in front.

I also sometimes have the problem if I 1x-click PS to bring it forward and THEN 2x-click to edit the text.

So for me it is worse than it is for you.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wes and Timo,

I've investigated what you mentioned, Wes, and you have identified an issue which appears to be Mac-only and which is actually different than both the original issue and the one we just fixed.  It appears to be a workflow bug where focus isn't quite right once PS goes into a modal state for type after gaining focus from another app via mouse-click on the app frame.  I've seen it on 10.10.2 -- if you're seeing it on other OS versions, I would love to add that to the bug report.  I can see how this would be annoying, though I don't think this is a high-traffic situation.  I will go ahead and see about getting this fixed too.

I think this issue should be spun off as the original bugs are resolved at this time.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great conversation that's separate from the main one, so I created a new conversation to continue the discussion.

Please reference the new conversation here: Arrow keys don't work and all text selected and cannot be deselected on Mac after...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
David, I'm on Mac OS 10.10.3.

I am sure I'm one of a small number of users fighting this, but unfortunately for me this is a big part of my work in Photoshop so I get hit by this a lot.

Thanks for trying to get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate