• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Artboards and Cropping

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever artboards are made in Photoshop, the crop tool no longer works. I made a document with about 5 artboards and I needed to crop a selection for a moment that I would undo shortly after. However every time I select the Crop Tool I instead get the Artboard Tool.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016
Documents with Artboards don't have a traditional canvas. The canvas of the entire project auto grows or contracts when Artboards are added or removed from the file.

If you need to crop an Artboard, click on the edge to reveal the handles to redefine the bounds of an artboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Mentor ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you need to trim a layer on an artboard, use a marquee/mask and not the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Documents with Artboards don't have a traditional canvas. The canvas of the entire project auto grows or contracts when Artboards are added or removed from the file.

If you need to crop an Artboard, click on the edge to reveal the handles to redefine the bounds of an artboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry That is so backwards. Once you have the artboards you want to have the ability to throw everything away that is not within the bounds of the artboard. You need this function to keep your filesizes manageable. So why the crop tool doesn't work on artboards is beyond me. 

I don't want to bother with 6GB psb's. I want to be able to clean up and throw everything out I don't need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gud point @hilbrandbos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I'm digging up this old post to add some information. I see that there's a suggestion to use the marque/mask tool to trim a layer on an artboard. However, the problem is that you can't select with the marquee tool outside of the canvas bounds (which are automatically set to the outside bounds of all the existing artboards). That means that I'm unable to select areas that go beyond that bound, resulting in incomlete trimming of layers. It makes for a messy attempt at clean up that is almost worse than leaving all the information there and having a giant file.

A feature suggestion to help alleviate this situation might be to create an option to select an area and then delete information outside of the selection. Or maybe allow a layer crop option that has some kind of bleed around the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate