• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Auto scrolling on layers panel when a layer is copied, deleted or added to a folder

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshops 2015 layers panel is constantly doing things I wouldn't expect and making me think more that needed. When I drag a layer to the new icon it copies the new layer to the top of my file structure. Now I need to grab it scroll back down and re-find the context I was in. This seems un necessary and I would expect the new layer to appear under the original one.

Every time an action is applied to a layer photoshop auto scrolls the layers panel so that my selected layer is at the very top. This is very distracting and chokes the context in favour of identifying the layer. Every time I do an action on a layer (add to folder, delete...) my very next action is to scroll the layers panel back to where it was. I would expect to have the scroll location stay the same so I can retain the same folder context.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015
This issue should be corrected in the Photoshop CC 2015.0.1 update which was released today. Details here: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate
45 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found info on how to reinstall an older version of Photoshop since 2015 automatically uninstalled 2014.

Follow this link:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-clou...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The automatic scrolling of the layers panel is a horrible feature/bug that completely over-shadows my appreciation for all of the other useful additions to PS-CC2015.

As mentioned above repeatedly: It completely interferes with my workflow and focus by requiring me to re-locate where I was, and where I am now, within the layers palette after every layer addition or move. Anyone on the Adobe UX team that thought it was a good idea to add to the end-user's cognitive load, needs to be doing something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello....Anyone there at Adobe?

Still no response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a bug introduced as a side effect of another change. We're looking into a fix. Thanks for letting us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking in Foster!

Hoping it will be fixed soon — as it stands, it's nearly impossible to stay oriented within the layer structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. Thanks for bringing this up. It is very distracting and significantly cuts down my productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE FIX this Adobe. Totally destroys my productivity and flow when I have to re-scroll up to figure out where I am in the Layer stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2015 - when deleting or adding layers, the selected layer is getting to the top of the layers window. It's very frustrating the blinking of this window with every layer movement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be corrected in the Photoshop CC 2015.0.1 update which was released today. Details here: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers panel - If I have a whole heap of layers (which makes the scroll bar appear) I get strange jumping of position of the scroll bar causing me to lose track of where I am in the layer stack.

So for example, I shift drag a layer mask from a layer near the bottom of the stack onto a layer near the top. The whole stack of layers jumps up and the layer I just dragged a mask onto has now slid up and not visible in the layer panel. I have no way of visually confirming that the mask I've added has been applied to the correct layer as I can't see it anymore!

It also happens both option-dragging layers and I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't jump around when option-dragging but then jumps immediately after I undo.

I really hope this is not somehow a feature as I can't think of a situation where this is useful.

This is OS X specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not completely fixed. When I Alt+RightClick and object on the canvas it activates that layer and scrolls to that layer in the layer-window – but it's still on top!.

Why whould I want this? I need to see up AND above the layer. This is a more complex thing than "just put it at the top because he clicked on it".
Most objects on screen consist of more than one layer, so there often might be some other layers I need to edit, but can't Alt+RightClick (due reasons). So everytime that happens (a lot) I go to a layer and immediately have to scroll just 2-3 layers higher to get what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2015.0.1, this behavior appears fixed for me (on OSX). Layers no longer jump to top of the list when dragging to change their order, or Alt+RightClicking (or command+Left Clicking, or RightClicking and selecting from modal list) a Layer on the canvas.

Thanks for getting this fixed, on Mac at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed.

- Photoshop CC 2015.0.0 (latest version for me, no updates available in the adobe updater)
- iMac (late 2013) with Yoesmite 10.10.3
- Adobe Updater 2.2.0.129

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2015.0.1 is the latest - you need to install the update.
Also, you aren't up to date on MacOS either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS-Updates are handled by the IT. But maybe that's why I have no available update for the Updater nor Photoshop? Right now I see no available updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, something is wrong on your system if you are not seeing updates and are still running 2015.0.0. And MacOS 10.10.4 has been out for a while now -- it sounds like your IT department might be asleep on the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, they're really busy – but I'll give them a hint – thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Has this issue been fixed yet? The layers panel still looses the context of the layers i am viewing when i use auto select/when i move a layer around in a group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Has this issue of jumping around, loosing layer context when a layer is selected, been fixed yet? The update i have done today to photoshop CC has not solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate