Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Background Transparency Composite Issue

LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Problem:
Photoshop historically renders transparent differently with and without background, It is usually stronger than it should, that makes working with translucent color harder than it should.

Workaround:
So in my past experience, I have a workaround, that is toggle color setting's "Desaturate Monitor Color" by 0%, and turn off checkered background. That will make it's background composite back to normal, or the way it should represent across all softwares.

New Issue:
But then CC 2019 this method will cause it to glitch out. Since it wasn't able to render transparency, and result a blocky 1 bit blocks. Reverting to Legacy Composite engine doesn't help either. I even tried disable GPU acceleration, still no avail.

I hope the included screenshot could explain better. Tell me if I need also include other image software's result like Preview, Xee, or ClipStudio Paint. This is very photoshop specific issue since decades ago, and that workaround is broken now.

Thanks

System Spec:
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
iMac late 2013, and external Nvidia Geforce 970

What you'll see in photoshop checkered/white background. I have no idea why the same white background will result different alpha render. Did photoshop render transparency twice?

Toggle desaturate monitor colors and set to 0%. Then turn off grid background.

Using this method, CC 2018 display corrected alpha, but 2019 is broken here.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019
Thanks. That file was extremely helpful. I can see what you describe. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cy, curious, did you restart Photoshop between setting the "Legacy Compositing" preference? Could you please post your original source PSD file from above? That would help be debug faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did that too, it's only happen in CC 2019. But the double transparency on checkered background is something Photoshop always had (Been using it since ver6). Is there a reason why does transparency appear stronger than usual? 

I never do transparency works with default checkered background, since it's just too inaccurate. I often instruct my peers to create a solid background layer to error proof any transparent related works. It'll be really inconvenient if this trick doesn't work anymore.

Thanks

Here's the PSD for you guys to test it out. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsTjyy5G0mgJAekD223VHdeXV0bpbBjh/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That file was extremely helpful. I can see what you describe. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a full year, the issue is still not resolved... any progress?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, the issue are carry over to Photoshop CC2020 21.1.0.106 too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I too am wondering if any progress has been made. I just spent a full day trying to figure out what was wrong with my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate