• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Batch Convert PDF Bug (with Video)

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batch converting PDF or AI files causes the same name to be used when saving the files resulting in only one file. Here is a video showing the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su8idv...

The problem is that Photoshop is taking the "Name" field from the PDF Import dialog and saving it as part of the action. This cannot be overridden even within the Batch Dialog.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012
From Photoshop engineering: "This is "As Designed" - The reason PDF works this way is to avoid overwriting the original PDF, which may be a 1,000 page document from which Photoshop extracts one page or one image. This is by design, but unfortunately it has the side effect of causing this batching problem."

So, best bet is to use the workarounds and be safe about doing it:

Safest:

"In the Batch dialog, add number sequence to the file name and you'll get all files are converted. But the result ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the problem isn't in the Save part of the action or options in the Batch, but in the Open step of this action. You notice that each file actually opens as "Red" (not as Blue, Green, or whatever the file name may be). So when the files get saved, they are saving as the file name used when opened.

This is because you created the action by importing AI files that had to be converted. This import/convert doesn't get treated the same way as a simple Open.

If you create your action with a more generic open action (such as by opening a JPEG file, or using the Insert Menu Item command), you should be able to get the action to perform as expected.

If you like, I could create a video with the correct steps to create this action to make it work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for the reply Brett.

Yes, the reason it saves with the same name is because it doesn't open properly to begin with.

I'm working on a project where the files I was provided only came in AI format. One of my tasks is to convert them to TIFF. I've converted JPGs successfully in the past, but these AI files are causing difficulty.

That said, I do not know how to open an AI or PDF in Photoshop by using a simple Open.

If you have a solution for batch converting AI / PDF files, let me know! Even a textual list of steps would be great in case you don't have time to make a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, what I'm suggesting is to recreate your action, but use a JPEG as the the file that you perform the steps with (open, et al) when creating the action. Then Batch the Action against your AI and PDF files.

Additionally, have you ever worked with the Image Processor (File > Scripts)? It might do what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One sure solution, Use the Image Processor Pro:

http://russellbrown.com/scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually above i suggested the Image processor pro, but a co-worker just tried Brett's solution and it works perfectly.
Thanks Brett, that'll save the designers where i work ton's of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create your action with a more generic open action (such as by opening a JPEG file), then use Batch (override Action Open and Save commands) and you should be able to get the action to perform as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround:
In Batch dialog, add digital number beside file name, you'll get all files are converted. But the bad result is the file name is inconsistent with the original one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett / Yali,

I tried the first workaround which you suggested which was to use a generic open step (such as JPEG) when recording the action. While this did work on the PDF files, I lost the ability to specify the raster settings such as dpi, anti-aliasing, etc.

Because of this limitation, this solution is not an option in my workflow.

The second workaround that Yali suggested is better. Though I have to manually remove the serial numbers after-the-fact, at least I have the ability to specify the raster settings and save out multiple files.

Longer-term, I hope Adobe fixes this bug in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Image Processor Pro script works well, Dan!

Brett's solution above isn't feasible for me for reasons given below but this script you pointed me to does exactly what I need without having to rename the files after conversion... thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Photoshop engineering: "This is "As Designed" - The reason PDF works this way is to avoid overwriting the original PDF, which may be a 1,000 page document from which Photoshop extracts one page or one image. This is by design, but unfortunately it has the side effect of causing this batching problem."

So, best bet is to use the workarounds and be safe about doing it:

Safest:

"In the Batch dialog, add number sequence to the file name and you'll get all files are converted. But the result is the file names will be different than the original one."

Easy to overwrite the original file:

"Create your action with a more generic open action (such as by opening a JPEG file), then use Batch (override Action Open and Save commands) and you should be able to get the action to perform as expected."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an example of what you're seeing so someone can help? How did you import the photo? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possibly what you are seeing? https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/why-did-lightroom-ruin-my-photo.1285/
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've logged a bug for this. Thank you for the report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk, any timescale on the fixes for ACR at all? Sorry you had to close down the comments against 12.3, hopefully 12.31 will heal some wounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All dates are always subject to change soAdobe does not normally provide any time-scales, dates, etc on any issue. Announcements will be made on the parent problem thread when the bug is fixed and released. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t release the bug please. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Seems to be resolved in the 12.4 camera raw update.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate