• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Black window - Home screen and New Document dialog

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upgraded to Photoshop 2020 and when opening or creating a new document it shows up as black. Just black.
If I create another layer and (for example) color it white, it's still black. If I open a picture, it's black. you get the idea.
Thankfully I still have CS5 on my machine.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019
Thanks for reporting. We're investigating.

See this document for troubleshooting: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-home-screen-issues.html

You can also workaround the issue by going to Preferences > General... and unchecking "Auto-show the Home Screen" and checking "Use Legacy New Document Interface"

Votes

Translate

Translate
15 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart PhotoShop with Command-Shift-option keys held down. The dialog will appear allowing you to reset prefs. Do it. You’ll be good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting. We're investigating.

See this document for troubleshooting: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-home-screen-issues.html

You can also workaround the issue by going to Preferences > General... and unchecking "Auto-show the Home Screen" and checking "Use Legacy New Document Interface"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help, when i go to log in to photoshop 2020, everything is black except for the top bar (File, edit etc). I am on a mac. But a weird thing also occurs, when i click to open my saved work on my desktop, it works fine. But when i don't that happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try restoring your prefs like the customer's above who said it fixed it for them? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I'm new to this! I am having the same problem as Ads, and yes, I have tried the fixes above. Rather than go through the whole ordeal again, may I provide a link to a separate attempt to resolve the issue? https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-is-a-complete-mess/m-p/10837307#M295014
I just now uninstalled 2019; I had no other version installed, then installed 2020 from the Creative Cloud menu. Same issue: Still just a black screen with tool bar across the top. I can file>open an image from file explorer (I am using Windows 10, latest version, whatever that is), but if I click on file>new nothing happens. If I click window>workspace>reset essentials, I get a normal work space, but from here, again, I can file>open from file explorer, but I still cannot create a "new" file (file>new)! I want the app to pen to the home screen like 2019 always did. I just graduated from university, graphic design and media arts, so I REALLY need this software to work!!!
If you need any further information, I'll be ready to reply.
Thanks! Looks like a great community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround would be to go to Preferences > General... and enable "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface

Just to confirm, you reset your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I'm new to this! Rather than go through the whole ordeal again, may I provide a link to a separate attempt to resolve the issue? https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-is-a-complete-mess/m-p/10837307#M295014
I just now uninstalled 2019; I had no other version installed, then installed 2020 from the Creative Cloud menu. Same issue: Still just a black screen with tool bar across the top. I can file>open an image from file explorer (I am using Windows 10, latest version, whatever that is), but if I click on file>new nothing happens. If I click window>workspace>reset essentials, I get a normal work space, but from here, again, I can file>open from file explorer, but I still cannot create a "new" file (file>new)! I want the app to open to the home screen like 2019 always did. I just graduated from university, graphic design and media arts, so I REALLY need this software to work!!!
If you need any further information, I'll be ready to reply.
Thanks! Looks like a great community!
PS. Just allowed new update, 21.0.3; same issue. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I reset preferences. No matter what I do, all I get is the black screen w/tool bar across the top. I went to Preferences>General, and checked 'Use Legacy "New Document" Interface' (also, "Auto Show the Home Screen" is checked), then clicked Reset Preferences On Quit just to be sure.  I clicked OK, clicked off Photoshop, and when I opened it back up, same black screen. When I got the black screen, I even tried windows>workspace>reset essentials so I could get the work space, then performed all the other functions "preferences>general>use legacy... and reset preferences on quit. Clicked "Exit." Then I opened Photoshop from the CC Cloud desktop...wham, black screen. Now, from this black screen, I can neither "File>Open" nor "File>New"...nothing happens. If I go to window>workspace>reset essentials (or just essentials), whereas I used to be able to at least "Open" a document, now nothing happens at all; I cannot "open" or "new".  And when I go to the preferences> general, "use legacy "new document' interface is unchecked. Photoshop just sits there; I now have 21.0.3 installed, no other version, and it's worthless. I have to install back to version 21.0 to get anything that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 doesn’t work on my macOS catalina 10.15.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem with Photoshop 2020 on a Windows 10 PC. When I open a file called map.jpg the screen is black, as in the top panel. If I minimize Photoshop and then reinstate it I can see through the window onto my desktop (bottom panel). It seems that the Photoshop window is directed towards/looking at nothing.
I have restarted PhotoShop with Command-Shift-option keys held down and checked "Use Legacy New Document Interface" in preferences. Help would be be appreciated.  Thank you.
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely a Graphics Card driver issue. Try disabling "Use Graphics Processor" and restart Photoshop. If the problem goes away try the troubleshooting steps - updating the driver is usually the answer: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#DisableGraphicsProcessor

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I seem to be unable to disable the home screen. I have updated the preferences as above several times and reinstalled and tried again and it just won't seem to work.
Hope you can help.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just updated to Big Sur (big mistake) and I can't open Photoshop anymore. I get a black screen without menu bar, so I can't attempt any of the possible fixes through PS preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate