• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Brush Panel keeps resetting [2019]

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, why does my brush panel keep reverting to default? I can't tell what's causing it, but I keep having to reload my brush packs. Not a problem in CC2018, same machine specs.

(And just because I'm here again. Please fix that aweful new smaller hitspot when you Transform. It sucks so bad. Release a patch or a 19.1. Legacy Transform please!!!)

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020
Hi all,

This should be fixed in the Photoshop 21.1.3 update released this evening. 
Please update to 21.1.3 and let us know if it's resolved for you!

To update Photoshop to 21.1.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
47 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though it was always fine before? I’ve actually removed loads since having to load them back in every time. Yes so frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you probably had less that 2 gb before, but once you got over 2 gb it would reset everytime you started ps again.  

I have one file that is 1.9 gb that has all of my brushes, the folder format saves with it, so if i ever need to load it, then it is easy.  When i need extra brushes that are not in that 1.9, i can load them also, but must remember to remove them before I close PS so that it does not revert to default again because of the size.

the PS techs even contacted me to get details of the issue, once I gave them all of the details I never heard back from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see. So it could be 1 thing I’ve loaded that is particularly high? Do you know then if there is a way I can format the folder so it loads all of of the brushes together. At the moment I’m having to do one at a time. It also resets my gradients, patterns and shapes!!! I have also tried several times to contact adobe and the trail just dries up. It’s not fair when we pay to use a system that has such a blatant issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, you can load all of the brushes at once.  

1.  get all of you brushes and folders set up just like you want them
2.  make sure it is under 2 gb. 
3.  select all of your brush folders
4.  click on the menu in the upper right hand corner of the brush window
5.  choose 'export selected brushes'
6.  this will put them all in one file
7.  select where you want to save the file, make sure it is somewhere easy to remember.  may want to add a new folder just for brush backups.
8.  save the file
9.  go to the folder and check the file size to make sure it is under 2gb

when you need to load the file, just open brushes window, click on the menu in the upper right hand corner and choose 'import brushes'

if you have more than 2 gb of brushes and you want to load all of them each time, when you are doing the export process, only choose half of your brush folders for the first file, then choose the other half of the brush folders for the second file.  So you will end up with 2 files (make sure they are both less than 2gb).  Then when you start PS if you want all of the brushes you only have to import those two files and you will have everything, and it will already be set up in the folders that you made.

does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This is so helpful, thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hope it helps, it was seriously driving me bonkers before I came up with this work around.   

The real mystery is, how is this still an issue after years of people complaining about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see there are two similar threads, I posted in the other but I'll post here as well:

We have identified the issue and we're testing a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, and someone who has a lot of Tool Presets and Brushes...  is is the size of Texture Tips, Patterns, quantity of brushes or something else that drives this over 2GB?

For example, I can easily simulate and (re-create) test the issue with as little as 3 Brushes and some massive texture brush tips.

Thanks
🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thanks for the good news, Daniel! Nice name btw!

If you don't mind me asking, is there any plan to add new features to the PS's Brush engine? Some features that I think would be amazing are Angle jitter on dual brush-- not specifically angle jitter, but more of a controlled gradual jitter where you can choose an amount and it will rotate gradually throughout the stroke-- not randomly jumping from like 30% angle to like 53%. Boro basically goes over some amazing stuff that ArtStudio Pro has that Photoshop doesn't in this video: https://youtu.be/JM3PKMhwE9A. ArtStudio Pro has has every brush setting from Photoshop but then adds a bunch of fantastic features on top. Is there any chance that PS's brush engine will get these kinds of features? Especially the blending options, and the dual brush stuff.

Also it'd be super cool if the brush's blend mode was scriptable so that we can assign them to keys or buttons more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news Daniel Presedo!
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - that's Cool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will this be a 'hotfix' per version ie i have to use a particular version for certain plugins to work. this version is the highest i can use Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.1.9 20190724.r.451 2019/07/24: 1207350  x64 so i would be grateful if i dont have to upgrade to 20+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This should be fixed in the Photoshop 21.1.3 update released this evening. 
Please update to 21.1.3 and let us know if it's resolved for you!

To update Photoshop to 21.1.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh well no fix for me then 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A note on this fix:

Fix to Brush, Style, and Tool Preset formats to support greater than 2GB files in Release 21.1.3

Photoshop Releases 21.1.2 and earlier can only save Brush, Style, and Tool Preset formats files up to 2 GB in size.
In order to fix this issue we have created an updated Preset format. The new Photoshop Release 21.1.3 can read presets in both new and old formats. We will only write Presets in the new format IF we detect that the current Preset will be over the 2 GB limit. 

Please keep in mind, if users switch back to an earlier version of Photoshop, it will not be able to read the new format. It will load Default Brush, Style, and Tool Preset formats since it doesn't know how to interpret the new format.

How to get started:
1. Please back up your Presets.
2. Update to Release 21.1.3 or later
3. Import your Presets, they can now be greater than 2GB for Brush, Style, and Tool Presets.
4. You may now Quit and Restart to verify your changes have been saved.

Performance on Launch and shutdown:
Your performance on launch and quit will be slowed due to the extra time to Load and Save out Presets. SSD hard drives will help mitigate some of this time while older types of hard drives will take longer.

Brush, Style, and Tool Preset that exceed this threshold of 2GB is now going to need extra time to Save these assets on close. It is also possible in this scenario that the Patterns Presets is also going to exceed 2GB. If you have saved the Pattern in the Preset or Tool you do not need to keep the Pattern in the Preset Panel.

We encourage to explore the Import and Export options in the Preset Panels to help maximize your workflow experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today's date is 08/20/20, three months after  the Photoshop 21.1.3 update... and the problem still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. its 2021 and I am starting to have this issue were a week ago I didn't have. So yeah, paying for a service that's affecting my workflow significantly. I really wish this could be fixed so I don't have to load and place each brush into its place every time I start Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has it been patched YET?!!!  This is a year later and the same issue has been happening to me.  I never had this problem with Creative suite 3 that I paid 600 bucks for, but when my computer died and I could no longer download the product I loved and owned outright because they shutdown the servers I've been forced to rent this inferior product that consumes my work time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it has been patched, it no longer has the 2gb limit on brushes, however whenever PS updates it resets the brushes, something in the update resets mine every time, so I just reload the backup copy, takes about 60 seconds to reload the backup copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, just now a year later. . . . I have been using PS since the 'dazes' of disks and still consider myself a novice. recently, it seems like the brush issue is gone, goodness. 

I  won't stop using PS, but fequently 'thing'some happens and then whatever goes back to where I had it. take for example the 'paint bucket tool'. one day it was gone and I just reset it, but what a bummer. one other example that may be of interest, related to Adobe, is all of a sudden I was not receiving comments from users of the PS product, all of a sudden, gone. now, that is okay for now. . . 

good luck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit of a thread Necro, but today after an update my brush panel "Reset" in that whant I loaded PS, all the brush groupings were collapsed instead of expanded...

It didn't unload the brushes, just closed all the groups (Which is incredibly annoying). Has anyone else seen this in the latest 25.1.0 Windows ?

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Denyerpro please start a new thread for this new issue not post on a 4 year old thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate