• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Brush Panel keeps resetting [2019]

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, why does my brush panel keep reverting to default? I can't tell what's causing it, but I keep having to reload my brush packs. Not a problem in CC2018, same machine specs.

(And just because I'm here again. Please fix that aweful new smaller hitspot when you Transform. It sucks so bad. Release a patch or a 19.1. Legacy Transform please!!!)

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020
Hi all,

This should be fixed in the Photoshop 21.1.3 update released this evening. 
Please update to 21.1.3 and let us know if it's resolved for you!

To update Photoshop to 21.1.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
47 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone with the brush panel reverting to the defaults. V19 and V20 are doing it to me. I am beginning to 'stir the pot' again because I am so disappointed with Adobe and these latest version of the Photoshop product. Both of them have slowed my 'work' down by about 50 percent. When I click on the brush panel I have to wait 20 seconds before the brushes display, if they indeed are even mine. Then another 5 seconds for the brush to show up once clicked on. There are many other things too. You know how those surveys pop up from time to time? I can tell you they are looked at, really! Put some comments there too, but you are limited on space and time (another complaint). Good Luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you post a couple screenshots please?  1- what your brushes panel looks like before it reverts and 1- what it looks like after it reverts?  I have not been able to reproduce this problem and wish I could, because then we could fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chad. Left of the screenshot is what I use. Now, on a random open of the software, it reverts back to what's on the right on the screenshot. I wonder if the size of the brush pack could be an issue? It's 843Mb, although I don't feel that's unreasonable.
RackMultipart2019012377787yvp7-f80204cb-e338-4287-8582-af8c1c3b8465-58115010.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eh. This and the transform and undo changes are my biggest gripe. Also, the latest is such a a system hog. I run an older Mac and the performance on this one is just slow as hell. Also RAM greedy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly what I am constantly having to put up with.Its not only on macbook running mojave, but on a windows 10 machine. Getting pretty p***ed off with Adobe to be honest. no help on their chat box. handed from one clueless wonder to another and then told they know about it and will fix it. How about bloody fixing it before you bring out the next version of photoshop Adobe because we are totally sick of paying a monthly subscription for the privilege of being your underpaid and under valued bug testers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too and it's super frustrating and never use to happen in previous versions of Photoshop. As others have stated my Photoshop (most up-to-date version) will randomly not retain my brushes in my brush panel after closing and reopening. It reverts all brushes back to the default ones. This happens constantly to me. I mean all the time. I use to think it was if my computer restarted while Photoshop was still open but in my testing it occurs randomly when you correctly close the program.

This needs to be fixed.

While I'm on the topic of the brush panel. Though I do appreciate that we can finally organize the brushes into folders can we get the ability to color code and 5 star our favorite brushes? It'd also be really helpful if there was a search function whereby it only lists brushes with text that matches what you typed into search. For example if you searched 'pencil' and brush with the word 'pencil' in it would remain visible in the brush panel. Can we also have the ability to tear off favorite brushes and make smaller quicker brush shortcut windows? Like if for a certain piece of art you are primarily using 3 brushes but they were all spread out in your panel couldn't you add the ability to like tear them off for quick access pinning them anywhere on the screen?

Right now the brush panel seems half baked devoid if many smart and useful options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time my Photoshop closes, whether by closing it down normally, terminating it, or restarting the computer while PS is open my Brush panel resets back to default brushes. This is extremely frustrating and really there's no excuse for this to be happening. Photoshop is a well established program and this is a big bug.

I'm using the latest version of Photoshop and I've had the same issue for a while now (even on the previous version).

P.S. I know there's another thread on this topic. I just really want this fixed fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.. I have a few users on Photoshop CC2019 Version 20.0.7 and their Brush preferences keep resetting as well. Has this been patched?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!!! I am actually shocked having to read about an issue that was already reported over a year ago! And obviously Adobe still have not addressed this big, annoying and time consuming bug yet, how poor is that?!

I have actually thought that this is a new thing, that came with cc 2020, as I have not had any issues before! This morning I was so fed up that I thought I was clever deinstalling 2020 and going back to 2019.

HA! Was I wrong, now this same bug is making it's appearance in  PS 2019, too! My brushes panel resetted itself!

Btw., this is the link to the thread I opened yesterday. https://bit.ly/2H97eh9

I seriously can't get over the fact that Adobe haven't fixed this yet, or even addressed it. 

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well hello there. It  has been a year for me too with this issue and I have a few things for you guys. It still is happening to me as well, but not every single time. No reason for that, that I can see. One thing that I did to help me out was create an 'Action' to load the Brush Groups that I use regularly; it is a band aid. 

I have just noticed that PS does things like that from time to time and it is frustrating. 

Good Luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found out something rather interesting.  I will pass it along and hopefully it will work for others.  As I was reloading my brushes for the zillionth time, I thought about the size limitation for importing brush files.  You probably already know about the 2GB limit for importing any saved brush files, and that got me thinking.  So I ran this test about 40 times and it worked as expected each time.

1.  I made sure to export my brushes in 3 files that were about 800 MB per export.  When I restarted PS it of course reverted back to default.

2.  I cleared the default brushes and imported two of the saved brush files, about 1.6 GB.  With that done I exited and restarted PS, MY BRUSH FILES WERE THERE, IT DID NOT REVERT!!!

3.  I imported the third saved brush file (bringing the total of the imported files to 2.4 GB), I then exited PS and restarted and it had reverted back to default.

4.  Did the over  2 GB / under 2 GB trial runs about 40 times, each time I exited PS with more than 2 GB of brushes loaded it would revert back to default upon restart, if I exited PS with less than 2 GB of brushes loaded they would all be there when I restarted PS.

It appears that the 2 GB limit on importing saved brush files also affects reloading the brush files that are showing up fine while you are using PS.  So if you have less than 2 GB of brush files loaded when you  exit, they should load up fine upon restart.  At least that is the result that I have been getting on all of my test runs.  Adobe should obviously already know about this if that is the actual problem and they should fix it and stop playing dumb.

All that I can say is that I am happy not to have to reload the brushes each time I start PS now, I have pared down my brushes to the ones that I actually use and have not had a problem with them loading since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it reverts because at the brush toolbar, next to opacity value is the icon "ALWAYS USE PRESSURE FOR OPACITY" or flow or anything, so, you need to set them OFF and the settings in brush panel will work with your settings... it wont revert changes... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you read my comment? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to test this but am still not convinced this is what's going on. I say this because I always have the same brush size loaded (not sure of size, I'm not at my computer) and it stores the brushes most of the time. It's been storing them for a good while now. Occasionally it will goof, and reset... But that hasn't been for a while now.

Also, I've never heard of a file size limit on brush files. Is there any documentation for this?

I know there's a maximum number of brushes that you can have loaded at a single time (which is stupid). I'm not exactly sure what that number is off the top of my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with the problems in this thread. The problems that we are talking about are pertaining to custom brushes being deleted upon reopening Photoshop being replaced by just the default brushes. If you haven't backed up your brushes anticipating this happening it can be a real issue (because you may lose a lot of brushes forever).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahaa okey sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah it's okay. Thanks for trying to help! Your suggestion is definitely helpful for people having issues with their brush settings seemingly not working they way they planned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a problem Adobe have known about since 2017...ive reported it often. they always say it will be fixed in the next update but it isnt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would have to backtrack to find where I saw the 2gb limit, but it apparently is a known issue.  if your loaded brushes are close to that limit, i guess its possible that loading one or two more could push you over and cause the reset.  since I limited my brushes loaded to 1.8 gb, I have not had any resets since this original post.  If you back up all of your brushes and check the file size I think you will be able to recreate this with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Besim,

I was seriously about to go postal on this thread. Because I have been experiencing this all night and was going to be ticked off if this was an unaddressed issue  But, your response. I think solved the problem for me.  It's a shame that some of these functions cannot remain persistent through multiple means. But, I guess it's a good thing too.

Thanks again.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I am using the PS CC 2020 version 21.1.1 and have found the following problem:

If I import several brush or picture brush packages, the size of which is more than 2 GB, PS seems to update the "brushes.psp" file incorrectly when I quit!

Now the "brushes.psp" file has a size of e.g. 2.6 GB but after restarting Photoshop again all of my imported brushes are disappeared. Only the standard brushes are visible.

If I only import several brush packages that are smaller than 2 GB together, it still seems to work!

Has anyone noticed anything similar here?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open photoshop it has deleted all of the things I have imported. I have only started to have this issue with the last two updates. It’s almost like it resets it back to a new uploaded app every time. It’s very frustrating. Please can somebody help

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it is a known problem.  over 2gb and it resets.

Votes

Translate

Translate