• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Brush size and hardness shortcut not working anymore

LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I am not able to use the control/option brush shortcut anymore to control the brush size and hardness. I am running Photoshop CC 2017.1.1. I am using a Wacom as well and have tried using the old driver and the latest driver to see if either one would help with this issue and no luck. The keyboard is working fine as well, I have even tried two other keyboards and still nothing. Has anyone had this issue recently and found any solutions? It has really affected my workflow 😞

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018
I was able to reproduce this issue and logged a bug.  I initially was going to suggest updating to Photoshop 2018 but it looks like there a different bug there where opacity is adjusted instead of hardness and there is no rubylith preview - logged and hoping that gets fixed in the next release.

Assuming you are talking about the shortcut: 
Ctrl+Alt+rightclick and hold (with pen or mouse), moving the mouse up/down/left/right to adjust size & hardness

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Bianca,

I heard of similar problems in other threads.  Those users reported that the updated driver solved their problems.  Nothing has changed on the Photoshop end of things, so if a new driver doesn't help, you might need to disable your tablet until a better driver is available.

Probably not what you want to hear, but hopefully helpful nonetheless,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It dosent work for me...it worked perfect on my mac but not in win 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to reproduce this issue and logged a bug.  I initially was going to suggest updating to Photoshop 2018 but it looks like there a different bug there where opacity is adjusted instead of hardness and there is no rubylith preview - logged and hoping that gets fixed in the next release.

Assuming you are talking about the shortcut: 
Ctrl+Alt+rightclick and hold (with pen or mouse), moving the mouse up/down/left/right to adjust size & hardness

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have multiple languages (keyboards) set up, and you've switched from one to the other (e.g. ENGLISH to SPANISH) this will produce the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Javier,

If you are using the Spanish app with a Spanish keyboard and Spanish shortcut file, everything is fine, right?  It should be...if not, that's a(n unreported) bug.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just appeared on my iMacs yesterday. Mouse works fine but tablet will not work with HUD. Also cannot invoke contextual menu to choose brushes pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to change brush size/hardness via keyboard shortcut Cmd+Opt+drag keeps popping in and out. Sometimes it works, other times not. Mostly not. (Or is it right-click+drag? I just learned about the shortcut so I still have to try both.)

Resetting all tools hasn't had any effect. BTW, I use a Magic Trackpad (large trackpad) rather than a mouse, so right-click+drag isn't a picnic.

Using Photoshop CC on Mac Mojave 10.14.5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing all functions on the pen buttons. I think it’s related to the R click option on the pen, but I’d start by removing all functions on the pen buttons and go from there.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me, I was painting and using this work flow of Option, Command to change the brush size and hardness. One day it stopped working and was cutting and duplicating instead. I later found out the Hot keys changed to Control, Option to change the brush size and Hardness. Dunno Why but thats how I'm working now

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue! I though it was something with my keyboard because the shortcut I used to use to have my emoji keyboard pop up isn't working either. How can I restore the same shortcut in Photoshop (brush size and hardness)?

Votes

Translate

Translate