• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Raw as a Filter (not the plugin) freezes Photoshop on use

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop is getting stuck whenever I try to use the camera raw filter; nothing opens up after I click on it, and I can't even close my photoshop. everything gets stuck and a sound like a notification comes up, but still, nothing shows up 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Update: May 1 2024

The PS team has reopened this bug due to a small number of reporters on this thread who say the issue is not fixed for them. 

Critical to getting a fix for this is more information from those of you for whom the release did not fix your issue.  Exact Reproduction steps would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Previous:
Adobe has released Photoshop 25.7, which contains a potential fix for the PS>Filter> Camera Raw Filterā€¦ freezing Photoshop. Please install the update from your Creative

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Hi. Thank you everyone for the patience regarding this issue. Photoshop 25.9 has been released and while it does not contain any additional changes to address this issue, it contains a diagnostics mechanism aimed at helping us better understand the root cause so that we can fix it.

@Marshela37315835hi27@absolute_cooks, @Amy247863851ryi, and anyone else still seeing this issue, it would be helpful if you could do the following for us (it involves enabling the new diagnostics mechanism, reprod

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
121 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update on how things have progressed. I AM still getting intermittent crashes with Camera Raw, again with no crash dialog, BUT it has happend A LOT less frequently for me since turning off "Export Clipboard". I know this might not be the solution for everyone, but hopefully it helps saves some aggrevation with it...and again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly, this is happening across the board. Adobe, you need to step up and fix this, please stop denying it. If you attempted to recreate this in any systematic sort of way, you would encounter this bug. Please take this seriously and put some effort into testing. You've been given the problem, there is NO CRASH LOG!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned by everyone, there is no crashlog. Technically Photoshop and Camera RAW don't crash. It is just that the Camera RAW Filter dialog/progress bar pops up and stays there making it unable for you to do anything else but force quit.

I checked with the Photoshop Edit Log on and even this log does not register anything.

I know it must be harder for Adobe to fix something without a proper crash log but over the last 7+ years there must be 1 developer there that could find a way for that Camera RAW Filter dialog/progress bar to stay away, right? If there still isn't enough information for you at least respond here and ask proper questions or contact users to work together with you for a proper solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME ISSUE! 

I have to keep force quitting PS

M1 Macbook Pro

Ventura 

PS 2024 25.1

Latest Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like everybody else, I've been having his problem for years. I don't know if this is the solution, but here is how I fixed it today:

• Clear all the caches
  • Click on the smart object that I want to apply the camera raw filter to and remove any existing smart filters
  • Launch camera raw and immediately click on the gear icon at the top right and clear the cache again
  • Immediately apply one random camera raw setting ....

At this point it let me continue to edit the image in camera raw and save it. I've not had the progress dialog box issue after this.

The hanging progress bar issue happens for me only on embedded smart images in PSD. I can use the camera raw filter without problems on standard image files.

Hope this helps somebody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally hit the key-combo for Camera Raw .... and as usual, it completely freezes Photoshop. It just hangs on the Camera Raw progress loader window.
Adobe??

Camera Raw Freeze.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is SICK!!! Still not fixed! I keep on losing hours of work becuse of this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling this happens when using 2 monitors, does anyone experience this with 1 monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry, with Firefly you can create whatever you want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen this across multiple Macs with multiple OS and PS versions -

2015 iMac

2015 MacBook Pro

2019 MacBook Pro

2020 M1 Mac mini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand new computer, everything is up to date, and this is STILL HAPPENING in March of 2024!

I've seen threads on here as far back as 2017 with this issue. How can adobe STILL not be addressing this?? 

It is so unrealistic to expect us to save psb files constantly when even though I have 128G of RAM it still takes my computer a good 2 minutes to save a working file. But then if I don't save constantly I run the risk of this happening losing hours of work.

I, like many other customers, am SO ready to ditch Adobe at this point and move over to something else. MY workflow is at a snails pace now, especially since Lightroom can't process Canon R series RAW colour profiles properly. Otherwise I would use it instead of Camera Raw to begin with!! You've really created a slew of unhappy issues here, Adobe, and you're just BLATENTLY IGNORING THEM. 

Shame on you for charging so much for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new Mac, 128GB of RAM, an empty harddrive, and I restart my system at the beginning of every session, and STILL my Camera Raw freezes up every 5th time I open it, forcing me to force quit PS and lose all of my work. 

I've read through every thread about this and none of the fixes suggested work. I've tried messing with my cache, etc and that's no help either.

Some of the threads complaining of this issue date back to 2017 or EARLIER. And still, Adobe has not fixed the issue. And this is an issue that happens to me at least once every day. The amount of work I lose is on another level. And of course, I can't just save my psb files constantly because that in itself takes a full 2 minutes (even though I have an unimaginable amount of RAM) since it rewrites the whole file from scratch.

This is simply UNACCEPTABLE. Why is Adobe ignoring the hundreds of users with this very common issue? 

Why would I pay an incredible amount of money for a program that crashes daily- ESPECIALLY when the company is blatently ignoring the issue?

I am looking for a solution to close Camera Raw WITHOUT having to force quite Photoshop. Any suggestions, or do I just need to switch to a new program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone sold you an obsolete GPU. Return it and get an RTX series card, which can properly handle Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me today for the 1st time ever, as I don't use the Camera Raw filter much. However, it seems to be related (in my case) to dual monitors. When my laptop is connected to a monitor for a 2nd display, it appears fine. However, when I took my laptop on the road and used it by itself, Camera Raw froze, like everyone on here. To test, once I got home, I launched photoshop on my (2nd) monitor, and it showed fine. I then moved my Photoshop Window to the laptop display, launched camera raw, and it opened on the (2nd) monitor. So, my assumption is that somewhere in memory is saved as to which window to open Camera Raw in. Perhaps people with new laptops somehow have something in their CC account that has Camera Raw thinking there is a 2nd monitor it should open to. It's a long shot, but at least somewhere for the DEV/Test team to start experimenting with to re-create. Hope it gets fixed, as I obviously won't always have multiple monitors at my disposal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just left a reply as I didn't see this response. I had it happen when I disconnected my monitor from my laptop. Works fine with the monitor attached, but freezes when just using my laptop (ie single monitor).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw continues to crash a few times a week. Nothing has changed? Continuing to lose work. We're looking at alternatives to handle Camera Raw in our shop, does anyone have recommendations for an Adobe alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some clarifications are requested: 

The reports in this thread are widely scattered and do not necessarily all describe the same issue. If you would please answer the following questions:

1.  Are you experiencing the problem with Camera Raw as a filter (Filter>Camera Raw Filterā€¦) or with Camera Raw - the plugin? (e.g., opening a raw file)  This is a very important distinction.

2. Some people reference crashing - and some people reference freezing.  Which is it?  See the next two items for descriptions.

3. Crashing means the app completely closes and does one of the following four things:  Restarts the computer,  Closes the App without warning,  Closes the app with an OS Dialog, or Closes the app with an Adobe Dialog. Which of these four behaviors are you seeing?

4. Freezing means the app stops moving, becomes unresponsive, or acts like a hidden dialog waiting for a response (normally denoted by an audible system warning tone). You then kill the application manually via the OS. If you are not crashing per the description in step 3, does this describe your failure mode? 

5,. If you are experiencing Freezing as described in step 4, do you occasionally but not always connect to multiple monitors?  If so, does it ever happen when connected to multiple monitors or only when connected to one?

Please answer these specific questions so that we can collate the answers and determine the following:

1.  If you are in the correct thread with others who are similarly afflicted or belong in a different report
  2.  Additional information to pass on to engineering. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Filter I guess. Camera raw when opened from photoshop.

2. It's freezing

3. Yes, always when using multiple monitors. I rarely use laptop on it's own.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

For me it's when trying to use Camera Raw Filter

It acts like a hidden dialog waiting for a response (with an audible system warning tone when clicking around)

I had it on both - my desktop (M1 iMac together with a second monitor), and on my leptop (M2 MacBook)

It doesn't happen every single time, but every other day it does, and I have to force quit and restart photoshop multiple times until I just give up and try again the next day...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Filter

2. Freezing

3. Yes I connect to a separate monitor mostly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default2shj846cn8ee @Baruch220614570sop @nunog44246703 

When in the failed state, go to the Photoshop Icon in Dock, right-click, and select "Show All Windows". 
Does this action reveal the Camera Raw as a Filter UI? 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to clarify: The camera raw filter ui window shows up as I click it, but then all the filter options are greyed out, and whatever i try to click, it makes a system tone like if there is another window opened on top of it, and even if i click show all, there isnt any new windows showing up

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Stage Manager/Mission Control to display all windows, can you see any dialog boxes open? And what happens if you press Escape or Enter? That would dismiss any hidden dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, none of this works (Else people wouldn't be complaining about it for 7 years). You just get this progress bar window(see the screenshots that people have posted before) that does not respond to anything. No mouse clicks, no pen click, no key. 

1. It only happens with the camera raw filter. 

2. it is "freezing" (although it is not the same as a regular app freeze)

3. It happened when I had 1 monitor(imac) and it happens with 2 monitors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

1. Camera Raw in Filters

2. Freezing. There is no actual crash, but it can't be shut down unless I force quit.

3. No actual crash, just Camera Raw freezing open (as seen in screenshot) with no way to close.

4. Yes, Camera Raw is freezing and unable to close without a force quit.

5. I always use 1 monitor- I have a 2019 Desktop IMAC- everything is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate