• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Can't access some network files on Apple Silicon M1 Mac "because the file is locked"

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 15 Mac computers that are all connected to a NAS via SMB. Four of these are the new Apple Silicone computers which are great except that we're having an issue that is isolated to these new computers and Photoshop. An error prevents us from opening some PSD files on the NAS: "Could not open "file name" because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file." 

We can access these same files from the Intel Macs without any problem (including using the same network credentials). I've verified it is a problem that is limited to the Apple Silicone computers and only when accessing some files. There doesn't seem to be any ryme or reason as to why this is happening.

Most of these computers are running MacOS version 12.3 or 12.3.1. I've verified that all the available permissions are granted in the Privacy preferences pane. We've been trying everything to find a solution for this but haven't any success so far. Is anyone else having this issue?

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
45 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new Imac running Big Sur 11.5.1 with the Photoshop 22.5. When working from our work server, occasionally I Photoshop will display "Could not open "xxxx" because the file is locked, you do not have permission" etc. Or "Could not open "xxxx" because of a disk error" - these are files that I have been able to open previously in the same day or even hours before. I have to drag the files to my local desktop, and resave them back onto the server. The files are not locked, they are files created by myself. InDesign and Illustrator are fine - it seems to be a compatibility issue with Big Sur + the M1 Chip - but it's not listed in the Photoshop for Apple Silicon list of known problems. It's very frustrating! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not support working directly off a server. You would need to talk to your network admins because we have no way to troubleshoot your network and server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, are you opening the file directly from PS or from the PSD file it self?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've tried both of those methods and both have the same outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac M1 you maight need to connect to the SMB share providing user name:

smb://[username]:*@[servername/ip]/[share]/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smb://username:password@[server_ip]/share/

For example:

smb://john:pass123@[192.168.1.1/projects/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the a PPPC profile in our Apple MDM platform (see screenshot), and it seems to be working at the moment. We'll give this a shot and see if it makes a difference. The Network Volumes option is not available in the Privacy preferences pane but it seems that it can be added through a profile configuration. I'll keep an eye on things and reply back with results in case this is useful to someone else.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 2.25.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever have any success in troubleshooting this? 

I have similar issues running latest versions of Monterey and photoshop on Macbook Pro (M1 pro). No issues using same software version on intel based mac.

The symptoms varies a little bit but most times when connecting to the network drive I'm able to open .psd files once but but when closed it will no longer reopen until the network drive is unmounted and remounted. This regardless if I save the file or not. 

Sometimes the error occures out of the blue.

Working off a server is not supported but it doesn't mean Adobe cannot fix it if possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a temporary workaround it seems that the files do open without issues if you open multiple files at the same time. If opened individually it produces the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App: Photoshop 23.2.1

Hardware: Mac with Apple M1 processor required to reproduce, Intel systems are not affected.

Files: .psd files stored on smb-fileserver, smb server system requirements not yet known.

Issue : When opening files from the server, occasionally Photoshop will display "Could not open "xxxx" because the file is locked, you do not have permission"  or "Could not open "xxxx" because of a disk error"

Occurance: Can be random but most times let you open files once but not again until network connection is re-established.

Workaround: Tt seems that the files do open without issues if you open multiple files at the same time. If opened individually it produces the error. 

Source, credit and more info:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-intermittently-cannot-open-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe cannot fix server interaction issues. I have worked in IT for years and it can very complicated in a hurry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for replying!

I have worked in IT for 20 years as well and I'm well aware of the diffculties regarding issues of this kind 😀. My intension is nearly to document the issue for other users and (if lucky) Adobe to see!

Then if we get extremely lucky we may see a fix some day. After all it's seems like a glitch in the software that is related to the M1 processor since it does not occur on intel systems. It could be an easy fix at best...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look back through posts, you'll see it happens on Intel systems. I recall complaints way back on PowerPC and Classic MacOS and Windows XP about working off a server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do know, it has been a common hurdle especially for photoshop during 2-3 decades when new versions are released. This type of bugs and compatibility issues between software and platforms are very tricky and always comes and goes. The "goes" means that things also gets fixed from time to time.

As I stated earlier, I just wanted to document it for others to see if they are experiencing similar issues. I'm neither complaining nor expecting a fix from anybody at this point. No harm intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Mac OS Big Sur, Apple has a known bug with SMB shares.
One work around that seems to work is to access the Share using credentials like:
smb://john:pass123@192.168.1.1/projects/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there are general issues with SMB and MacOS, this issue is specifically related to the Apple Silicone Macs. We’ve been using an SMB server workflow with our Intel Macs for years without any problems whatsoever. It’s interesting to me that Photoshop seems to be the only CC App that doesn’t play ball with servers on the new Macs.

I can confirm that the workaround posted by a user above is a viable solution for the moment. It seems that if the first PSD file opened is kept open, you can access any other files on the server without the error message. I might upset some people by saying this, but it seems like this might be a bug. And yes, I understand that the official Adobe answer is that Photoshop doesn’t support network drives, but that hasn’t seemed to present any unsurmountable problems until now. I’m trying to use highly qualified/diplomatic language here because this seems to be a touchy subject for some reason.

I’m looking into a hybrid workflow for our server setup where projects users are working on are synced between the client and server. An initial test seems to show that this is a potential solution as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go check on Spiceworks, you'll find that SMB issues are common and its not just M1 Macs by a long shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go check on Spiceworks, you'll find that SMB issues are common and its not just M1 Macs by a long shot.

As I said in my previous post, we've experienced the common SMB issues on all our machines, but the specific issue described in my original post is confined to the new Macs. Believe me when I say I've spent hours on the Spiceworks website researching the SMB issues related to Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem with our M1 Macs – thanks for reporting it and for that dirty workaround!
I'll keep you posted if it is of any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, started after switching to a new Mac (M1 Max) from Intel.

Before no problems, after it al started.... real bad experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but found a workaround. It's additional work but it's the only way that I've found to be consistently successful in opening network files for my workflow.

Try copying the file to your local drive, then open it from there. You may get an error popup after it copies stating "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.". Click "OK" and try opening it. So far for me, I've been able to open them regardless of the error message. Then when I'm done with the file, I save over it on the server and delete it from my local drive.

I work with GB sized psb files daily and this process slows my workflow down but I'm at least able to continue working. I hope it gets resolved soon.

System:
Mac Studio (2022), Apple M1 Ultra Chip, Monterey v12.4 – Photoshop v23.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here: 

App: Adobe Photoshop 23.5.1

Hardware: MacBook M1 Pro 

Network: QNAP NAS using SMB

Issue: Photoshop randomlly can't open files it has opened just seconds before hand. 

Error: Could not open “file_name.psd” because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder. 

Adobe Official Response: Adobe Technical Support only supports using Photoshop and Adobe Bridge on a local hard disk. It's difficult to re-create or accurately identify network- and peripheral-configuration problems. 

Recomended fix: Give Adobe Photoshop "Full Disk Access" via System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access. This does not resolve the issue. 

Other Adobe applications, such as Premiere Pro, Bridge and Indesign have asked for access permission when oppening files. Under Privacy > Files and Folders we can see that: 

Adobe Bridge 2022.app has access to:

• Removable Volumes
  • Network Volumes 
  • Downloads Folder 
  • Documents Folder 
  • Desktop Folder

Adobe Premiere Pro 2022.app has access to:

• Network Volumes 
  • Downloads Folder 
  • Documents Folder 
  • Desktop Folder

Adobe InDesign 2022.app has access to:

• Network Volumes 
  • Documents Folder 

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 6.50.10 pm.png

If we remove all Photoshop access and restart the M1 and try to open a file we will be prompteted to grant access. But even after giving access permission Photoshop only ever has "Documents Folder" and never "Network Volumes"

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 6.51.12 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 6.52.16 pm.png

Photoshop unlike other applications never asks for permission to "Network Volumes". This is the issue and is entirely fixable by Adobe Photoshop (and Illustrator) if other Adobe departments have already resolved the issue. 

Note that the same issue happens with Adobe Illustrator. 

App: Adobe Illustrator 26.5

Hardware: MacBook M1 Pro 

Network: QNAP NAS using SMB

Issue: Illustrator randomlly can't open files it has opened just seconds before hand. 

Error: Can't open the illustration. The file is locked or in use. ID: -5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of old thread, but I have the same problem. 
@Daniel_ADB Is this the case if I can't connect, or will this actually fix this problem? I had no issue connecting via SMB with the normal method asking me for username and password. Besides PS I don't have problems with SMB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I noticed today, would be great if somebody could confirm it.
My error was a bit longer and said that the file is either locked, I don't have permission or that another app is using it right now.
All of them wasn't the case. I noticed that my finder shows a preview of the file and that maybe this is counted as another app using the file (which is stupid, and never happened before apple silicon). I unselected the file to have no preview, dragged and dropped the file in PS and it actually opened.

It's annyoing as hell, but at least I can open stuff.
Can somebody confirm this, or is it another issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can also observe the behavior described by @jonalange.de. If a file is selected in the finder, it cannot be opened via drag and drop. As soon as the file is no longer selected, everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate