• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Can't create ruler guides while transforming a layer

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always found it helpful to be able to drag new guides from the rulers while the Transform function is active on a layer/object. This was particularly helpful for object such as logos that have built-in white space. If I try to create guides before transforming, the guides only snap to and center based on the drawn pixels. If I do Edit > Transform, then the object's full artboard size is shown and allows for better centering and edges for snapping ruler guides to. This was always available until the recent Photoshop CC 2019 release.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019
This issue should be fixed in the current version, Photoshop 2020 v21.x or later. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate
27 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matthew, I've asked engineering to take a look at this. As a workaround, you can hold down any modifier key (e.g. Command key) to drag out a guide while in transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they add a toggle to turn off auto-commit, that would be two problems fixed at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now whenever I use rulers/guides to find the center of an object/text box while it's in transform mode, it exits out of transform mode so i can no longer see the center of the object for the guide. I'm assuming this probably happened since the last update when auto-commit was introduced. Can we please bring back this ability? Quite annoying when i'm trying to get a center guide for objects not in the center of the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing applies to crop tool.  Very annoying, especially with Transform.  Spending 5 minutes transforming something and deciding a ruler is needed only to find that clicking on ruler accepts the transform, and only recourse is to undo and redo all the work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur. I've been searching for a solution and really miss this basic function that has been around since the dawn of layers in version 3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is to use the Shift key while dragging out your guides. Finding the center point of an object involves turning on the checkbox next the the transform reference proxy in the Options bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the middle of Transforming an image, I often need to bring in a new guide to see if I've transformed it enough or too much. This is particularly true when using the Skew, Distort, or Warp options. As soon as I go to drag in a new guide, the Transform is accepted. I then need to do a new transform to correct the change. Please change this to allow you to hold down the Command, Shift, Option, whatever key during Transform so that you can bring in new guides with committing the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding the Shift key while transforming also works when you're trying to stretch the image in only one direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You now have to hold Command key when you drag a guide from your ruler while in Transform mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem whilst transforming here, trying to drag out a guide will commit the transform.

Pressing shift when dragging out the guide does allow to do drag out a guide, but Shift needs to be released after dragging so the guide doesn't move in stepwise fashion.

Also, clicking outside the transformed bounding box will often commit the transform, this is annoying when trying to grab corner handles, and clicking just outside etc. This didn't use to be the case.

The same thing happens with Crop tool, in Classic mode. I like to add guides as reference using crop tool (as opposed to comitting the crop). This can't be done anymore.

I hope we can get the previous transform / guides functionality back as this is a downgrade in functionality.

I'm using 20.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they tried to make transform and commit easier for beginners to understand and then simultaneously made both behaviors more difficult for everyone to use.

sounds like a 'fix' is in the works and hopefully they'll get it right this time so that we can get back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can already hold the cmd/ctrl down when transforming to bypass the click to commit mess... no change needed. What used to be an intuitive transform process is now incredibly frustrating, with hidden keyboard toggles which prevent time loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmd/ctrl works too for non-commit... super-intuitive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fingers are going to get all tangled up trying to add and subtract modifiers as I do all this. I'd rather a preference, a toggle on the Options bar, something besides changing up all my modifiers. How much easier have we just made it by changing behavior in the first place, rather than making giving us all options?

But thank you for the Cmd key to prevent click to commit. It works with type, too, which has been the bane of my existence—before they added Transform to the mix.<G> I might get used to it because I'll be using it ALL the time now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update of PS has been a major bungle for long-time users. The inability to bring out a guide from the ruler while transforming is a core-basic function (IMO). A simple option to re-enable legacy functions such as this would be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legacy functions would be wonderful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe Adobe would call dragging a ruler out easily a 'legacy'. This has to be a bug, and not an intended feature.

Plus the auto commit when transforming is a major slow down. Any stray click and the wrong transform is committed. I've gone back to 2018 version for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2019:

When I'm using the "warp tool", at the same time I can't create a new "guide line" by moving from the ruler. When I'm clicking on the ruler - my warp manipulations are automatically committed. I think it's a bug.

for example:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving the image closer to the ruler. It's an alternative workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above works, but it's a major hassle to move your images or objects near the ruler if they aren't there already. And in addition, this really only works from the top ruler, because if there is a large space between ruler and canvas (such as above screenshot from Taras Kotulskyi), you cannot drag the guide from the side into the canvas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I used to use the croptool by placing symetrical guidelines in my photoshop documents.
While holding the alt-key I set the crop exactly on the place where I liked to place the guidelines and then placed the guidelines. After placing the guidelines I tapped esc and moved on. Perfect workflow for me.

Since I installed CC 2019 something changed. 
After setting the crop where I like to place my guidelines the crop automaticaly applies at the moment I click my mouse at the guidline section. Actually the crop automaticaly applies whereever I click my mouse.

Is there anybody else having the same problem, or does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they made a very bad decision which negatively impacts most Ps users with this added "feature."

Until an update is released which fixes this new behavior, you'll need to hold down alt/opt if you click anywhere away from your crop or transform. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and a little workflow tip... if you use a rectangle shape layer instead of a crop, you can select View>New Guides from Shape to automatically apply guides. 

sure would have been nice if this applied to any selections, included the crop tool...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

auto commit can now be disabled (as well as the default proportional transform) with PSUserConfig.txt

details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2019 Aug 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This way guids still do not snap to the side or center of the transform-box (Or selection) like hey used to unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate