• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Can't open PNG files

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can to view the png file in finder mode.
When we try to import png file, in the Photoshop, we receive the message:
"Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file."
Mac OS. Maverick
Photoshop CS6
CapturadeTela20140328C3A0s11.1-75d35570-ac61-41e4-8fb2-60b2893fb83b-2126930524.pngCapturadeTela20140328C3A0s11.1-75d35570-ac61-41e4-8fb2-60b2893fb83b-2126930524.png

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018
This should be fixed in the Photoshop CC 2018 (19.1.4) release which is now available. 

Please update Photoshop CC 2018 via the Creative Cloud desktop app and let us know if you continue to have trouble!
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/update-app.html

Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
88 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will see if I can recover one...kneejerk reaction, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just open that image in PAINT and save as .jpeg or .png it will work..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have several png files for which this is the case. Saved from Photoshop using Save (not Save for Web) and then imported into Unity. It's possible that Unity may be making tiny modifications to the files, but I've never encountered this before. The Offending files are linked via the upload in this form (though they don't seem to appear, possibly because they're white & transparent).

Image is not available

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly because that is not a PNG, but a PSD file.

Make sure you don't change the extension on your files to something that won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but this keeps happening to people & Adobe always says the same thing- it's a corrupted file. They aren't listening- we can't open ANY .png files. I'm a cumputer science major & have been a web designer for 20 years- it's not a corrupted file & not something I've done wrong. Something happens to certain versions of Photoshop & Adobe won't even admit to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to post one of the PNG files that won't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then in your case you might be missing some of the required plugins installed with Photoshop.

But most of the time the files have the wrong file extension, or are corrupted on disk.  (customers send me a lot of these files to examine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issues with several .PNG from the web that wouldn't open in Vegas either yet perfectly visible in windows and all browsers. EVERY single one opens in paint and saves and a PNG that does work in Photoshop and Vegas. Who'd a thunk paint was actually useful for something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the files somewhere so we can take a look.  Most likely they aren't actually PNG files, but something else with the wrong extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and I fixed it 🙂 Rename the file and at the end try ".jpg". Write .jpg as a part o the name. E.g. "sky.jpg". I my case it was still png file (transparent), but I could open it in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means it wasn't a PNG file at all, but a JPEG file (which can't have transparency) with the wrong file extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extension in my file is still .png and right, jpg can`t have transparency. So I don`t know what is this, but it works for me and maybe works for others either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, when you normally save a PNG file, you're using full 24-bit truecolor (8 bits per channel) plus an alpha mask that stores the transparency info (basically another 8-bit channel). When you use palette colors, it indexes the colors as 24-bit RGB colors and keeps a separate 8-bit alpha mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem and it is with any png files that I try to open from the internet or ones I have saved over the years. It says it cannot complete my request because the file cannot be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like you are missing the required plugins that install with Photoshop (which includes the PNG format plugin).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a couple of "flle format module cannot parse the file" messages with PNGs the other day, too.  CS4. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenberg - which means that they are corrupt, or aren't PNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is so crazy. I am able to open them in photoshop elements or in gimp.
I opened the files in Gimp, did a save as to jpg and was able to open them in Photoshop. Unable to open them in photoshop if I simply added the extension, .jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements and Photoshop share their file IO code.  So the only real way for them not to open in Photoshop is for the required plugins to be damaged or missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this helps me a lots

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I came upon this thread in an attempt to resolve this same problem I have. I do a lot of scrapbooking and purchase .PNGS graphics from reputable and safe designers. All of these have worked absolutely fine in CS4... until 2 weeks ago when I installed Windows 10 on my machine. Since then I have had no end of problems and am unable to open .PNGs (and a few glitches with other apps I use) and I put it down to the OS. I have opened the .PNGs in Paint and followed the recommendations in this thread to save as .JPEGs or .BMP but I lose the transparency or my machine will not let me open in up in CS4  I am not terribly technical so am loathe to start messing about with the plugins but I wondered if anyone else thinks it could be Windows 10 based on the timing of the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably need to reinstall Photoshop to pick up the missing plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG FILES DO NOT OPEN WITH PHOTOSHOP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All png files or just specific ones? Have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided on this thread to reinstall Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate