• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Can't open Tiff files

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open Tiff files in Photoshop CC 2018, I get error message "Could not complete your request as it is not the right kind of document". I am editing the images for a friend and they don't want to convert them to jpg. Please can anyone help with a solution.
Thank you.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020
This issue should be addressed by the 21.1.1 update. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate
46 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears PaperStream Capture uses JPEG compression type with TIFF format. This means your TIFF files will be 8 bit lossy compression. For the widest dynamic range you should be using 16 bit TIFF files or simply create 8 bit JPEGs.

https://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/fi/faq/psc-specificati...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd...

I absolutely agree with you. BUT, in Tiff format under certain settings it gives me the option of "No Compression" but when I use the function wherein I scan photos in color on the front and B/W on the back to see faded writing it removes the option of zero compression, and then from what I've gleaned online it defaults to what you're saying. 

The difficult part is when I scan with no compression the scan will open in Photoshoot or Gimp. As soon as I do the above scanning method of both styles it will not open in PS. BUT, if I take that same file in Paint and immediately save it as a .tiff it will then open PS. That leads me to believe it's a Paperstream conflict or some issue between application and the driver which I don't understand. I was on the phone with product support for an hour, he was puzzled as well. In the supporting help columns it shows 2 different versions of what settings are possible. Listen, thanks for taking the time to help me sort this out. I have to find a solution to this or this is a going to be a long slug......Cheers amigo!!    Greg

(BTW....I aplogize for repeating myself, I thought this was coming from Amazon. I do want lossless as these are family pics back a couple generations. Any suggestions I would be grateful to hear Todd.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on the phone with product support for an hour, he was puzzled as well.

If Fujitsu can't figure it out I doubt I can. What model scanner are you using?

Another option is to purchase Vuescan if it supports your scanner model.

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/fujitsu.html#scanner-drivers

Two versions are available:

https://www.hamrick.com/purchase-vuescan.html

I use Vuescan with an old Microtek scanner and it works quite well. The developer Ed Hamrck provides very good tech support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd....

I have a copy of Vuescan, that is today's research project but it appears that it only scans at 300dpi according to what I've read. But, I find that hard to believe.

I have a FI-7160 I am dealing with in this case, doing photos. Here is what is strange about the Paperstream Capture and IP driver. I'll try to be clear.

In the driver is a feature to set wherein you can scan both sides of a document in different profiles. It is accessed by going to feeder, selecting "both sides" then going above to the small gear icon and setting to "use separate settings for front and back side". I am using color on the front and B/W on the back to bring out faded notes.

The issue of "compression selection " comes in when in that mode and only that mode. Single settings allow me to select "no compression". 

In the explanation you sent me the link stating the "administrator" connection was really helpful. 

I am still in touch with this support person via email as we attempt to maybe get the engineers to resolve this, UNLESS.....there is a legitimate reason like a conflict between profiles when using this feature.

You have really helped me to affirm my suspicions of what is going on here with this software and it isn't an issue with Photoshop or Gimp.

have a great week....and anyone else reading this like Jeff feel free to chime in here...     Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using color on the front and B/W on the back to bring out faded notes.

You'll actually get better scan results using Color mode for both sides, which as you say has no issues. This allows you to use the separate RGB channel data inside PS to reduce the notes fading. You can then convert to grayscale inside PS if you want it B&W.

https://scanspeeder.com/blog/articleid/43/scan-black-and-white-photos-in-color

I have a copy of Vuescan, that is today's research project but it appears that it only scans at 300dpi according to what I've read. But, I find that hard to believe.

If you can't find a solution send a message to Ed Hamrick. He's usually very helpful. Keep in mind you'll also want to use Vuescan in RGB Color mode on both sides of the duplex operation.

https://www.hamrick.com/problem-report.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Todd, I have my research to do today so it seems. 

I did do a check yesterday and the Pstream software is indeed reducing the file size by a significant amount, therefore the quality. 

Since I'm new to all this photography concepts just knowing WHAT to get educated on plus the scanner and software details gets daunting I have to admit. I did some research on RGB last evening and will read your links today. I also fiddled with PaperPort  as well. 

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and contributions.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your scanner has 600 dpi optical resolution. You should be able to output a 16 bit TIFF file with 600 ppi resolution using color mode and no compression settings for both sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm shooting for now. I spent part of the day learning about Adobe RBG vs sRBG because of you mentioning that. I also did a test batch on sRBG and it is going in the right direction Todd. I will go further with the RBG format and see if i can get similar results. 

Something I am also puzled about with PStream is what/how to use Meta-Data to leave comments about the photos for later generations. Since I don't quite understand how M-D fits into the scheme of things I'm not sure where to ferret out info. The "help" columns are very scant and it appears they assume someone reading it knows far more than I do. I also have been reading Dummies books today about these topics.....my brain is starting to hurt!!  LOL     

Cheers All 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe RGB color profile has a wider gamut (more colors) than sRGB and should be used for your scan capture and for working in PS. For posting to the Web or sharing the processed image files should be exported to sRGB color profile.

Concerning adding metadata you can use Adobe Bridge, Lightroom Classic, or Lightroom Desktop (Cloud version). A good book on the subject is The DAM Book 3.0 by Peter Krogh, but you'll need to decide what application you want to use for adding metadata. What applications and workflow are you using now?

http://thedambook.com/the-dam-book/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd & the lurkers out there...

First, I want to say that I appreciate this back and forth and am highly cognizant of how these things generally turn out, as the questions become more specific and cumbersome. I am looking for "overview" and consider it my responsibility to sort it out. The things I am having issues with is simple conceptual application of these features. In the case of Metadata and PSC (as an example) I glean that there "may" be more to this in the Pro version but what? Who knows?

Having said that:

1.) Because of your "RBG" comment I watched several Youtube vids and read a lot on sRBG and Adobe RBG. I have a good handle on that now and why they are used as such.

2.) The metadata concept: I also watched a lot of vids and read last night about the concept and have a pretty good grasp of what it does and the various types such as 'descriptive'. What I don't understand or am missing is the next step in how to apply that. I am ordering the book after I'm done here. Gracias

3.) So, "what application I will use for Metadata"? I am currently using the Paperstream IP and Capture and if that will work somehow I'll use it. I have read and reread the help columns in that software and it's too vague to a novice without experience in the concept. I also have been reading Dummies books on Photoshop and Elements as well as "The Bible" on Vuescan. I visited the link you sent at the ScanSpeeder site but I just can't connect the dots. i suspected Photoshop would have this feature and it's on my list today. If I can enter descriptive text as I scan these photos it would save a LOT of time. Am I making sense Todd?

3.) "Workflow"....I will plead ignorance on what you are looking for exactly. I can tell you that I have a new FI-7160 and a new Epson V600 and have copies of ALL the help columns easily referenced. I will save us both some time and answer the workflow question when I get a better idea of what you are after. 

4.) I'm off to Amazon to get the book. 

If admin considers this to be getting cumbersome please say so. 

BTW....Fujitsu REALLY needs to get more supporting data out there about this stuff. I have an IX500, IX100 and the 7160. I like their products but the support is weak for guys like me who want to learn. I digitize all my books and now this stuff as well as music. As a boat liveaboard it has set me free having personal libraries that can be transported in an EHD.

Thanks again.....I look forward to your reply(s) and anyone who wants to chime in.

Greg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pls back my photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zara....can you elaborate on what this is about? Is this a application?

Greg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3.) "Workflow"....I will plead ignorance on what you are looking for exactly. I will save us both some time and answer the workflow question when I get a better idea of what you are after.

What I'm looking for is all of the apps and steps you currently use for scan capture, Image Editing (cropping, tone and color adjustments), and adding metadata such as keywords, and other descriptive IPTC and EXIF metadata. This should include a DAM (digital asset management) app for cataloging and organizing your scan files by project. You should be using one or more of the below apps for this purpose. I suggest you post this same question in the Adobe forum for the below app you want to use since we are going off topic. The below links will take you to the Help content for each app for more information. Copy & Paste a link to the post and I'll follow you there.

e Adobe Bridge, Lightroom Classic, or Lightroom Desktop (Cloud version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this getting off topic, this will be about the end.

Since I last wrote I watched a number of videos by Peter Krogh and have gained knowledge about MetaData and what Lightroom does. I also am reading books on the three sources you mention above.

My "workflow" right now is elementary. I have available to me the PaperstreamCapture, Paperport and Vuescan software. My main goal is to get my photos scanned, on my computer via an EHD and then learn lightroom and organize. The question then becomes does Photoshop, Elements or Lightroom make sense for direct download of scans and it does not appear so if I just want to accomplish getting them scanned? My limited knowledge, at this point, of the softwares is why I ask of someone with more experience with them.

I also did some reading on the EXIF and IPTC protocols and understand what they are, I'm not working in a professional environment yet though Todd. 

I did do experiments with RBG and sRBG yesterday by sampling and I can actually see the difference.  Making a scan into Lightroom was the closest to original but I'm not ready to tackle that program yet in depth. (Is the use of Photoshop, Lightroom or Elements, based on your knowledge, appropriate for simply scanning and acquiring images at this point?)

Bottom line so I understand: Is a good approach for me (with 300 or so pics to scan) to scan them into folders on my computer and use DAM afterwards as I learn Lightroom? My other question still remains about Paperstream Capture and that is "how is Metadata in that software used/applied". Do you know?  

Thanks again for your help, I can see this all starting to coalesce for me, and i'm excited about it.

Na zdravi,

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question then becomes does Photoshop, Elements or Lightroom make sense for direct download of scans and it does not appear so if I just want to accomplish getting them scanned?

You can simply "save" the TIFF output file to a folder on your HDD without using any other app except your scanner software or Vuescan. I suggest doing this in groups of photos that have have common metadata (Original Date, Event, or Person). You can then add that metadata as Keywords and/or IPTC/EXIF filed data as I outlined using Adobe Bridge, Lightroom Classic, or Lightroom Desktop.

I do a lot of film scanning and initially remove dust spots, scratches, and cropping in PS since its tools are better than LR's. Once these destructive edits are applied and saved to the original TIFF file I perform all other operations (tone, color, sharpening, and metadata edits non-destructively using LrC.

My other question still remains about Paperstream Capture and that is "how is Metadata in that software used/applied". Do you know? 

You'll need to read the Help documents available inside each app or in the PDF manual. If you can add Keywords with one of these apps during the scan process that would be helpful. However, when and where you add metadata is unimportant as long as you do it in an organized manner (The DAM Book 3.0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this all still about TIFF files not being read properly by Photoshop? I ask because every time someone posts in this thread I get an e-mail notification. I do not want to turn these off, because the original issue can still be important to me, while discussions about other topics should be held elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We got off topic, but this should be the last post here on his issues. Datapuncher you can send me a PM in the Adobe forums for further discussion.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/9983072

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not mean to be rude, but the number of notifications coming in were a bit high. Thanks for offering help to Datapuncher, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timur....thanks for your comment and I agree with you and Todd. I have my work ahead of me now and I know which way to go. To answer your question, I now know WHY they aren't being read but there really isn't a satisfactory solution. I will be moving over to the other community at this point as per Todd's suggestion. Have a good weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry

I'm having the same problem. It  

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to open two different TIF files and appears the same message  "Could not complete your request as it is not the right kind of document".
I'm trying in Photoshop 2021 and in the oldert version CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Write me at grogjm@outlook.com so this doesn't generate bad mojo again. I am happy to discuss it with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate