• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Changing Artboard units does not change the number

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in 2015.1.2, and I noticed as I'm trying to add bleed to a document, that my artboards are not sizing properly. The document is in 1200px in height, and when I change to inches, it enters it in as 1200 in, alerts me that the max is 444.44 in, and stalls the program. This happens for the width as well. I'm on OSX 10.10.5. Sorry if this is a bug fix that was already released, but I'd be happy to install if it is.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018
This should be fixed in current versions of Photoshop. Let me know if you're still having issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
8 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 10.10.5, too. How are you trying to add bleed? Usually what? 18 points as a minimum for printer's bleed? If I'm in the New Dialog setting up the artboard, I can change to inches and it converts to the proper inches at 72 ppi. But I would just add another 18 pixels all around, if I've started in pixels. If I have created an artboard, I could use the Image Resize dialog. I don't see any problem with that, whether I switch to inches or points, but I have to do the math there and it's easier in pixels/points for me.

If I use the Artboard tool and want to make the artboard bigger, I can't switch to inches. This is the first time I've even tried it, but it won't get out of pixels, whether or not I originally created the artboard with pixels or any other unit. That feels a bit like a bug or limitation to me—but not as big a limitation as not being able to do the math inside the number field.

If I use Canvas Size, I can switch with relative turned on to Inches, then enter .125 both height and width, and it takes just fine. Of course, the artboard is still in pixels, but I can see it added the right amount.

If I add Bleed inside the Print dialog, it is by default inches, I add the amount, and it does the trick.

I guess this is the point at which I ask if you have thought of yet another way to resize using direct input — obviously you're not simply dragging the artboard larger — or if you've tried various methods and are always getting a screwy response, have you tried trashing Prefs and starting over there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artboard feature is great but definitely needs work, I was even trying to just add .25, but it seems that it only resizes from the top left, and this alignment is not what I'm looking for for bleed. Canvas size actually shows the full document including all artboards, and does not work for this, although I didn't try relative sizing. Also, CMYK does not support a darker workspace and only supports white, it should work the same. You should also be able to turn the transparency grid on and off, and paste 1 item into place on all artboards like you can in illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> You should also be able to turn the transparency grid on and off, and paste 1 item into place on all artboards like you can in illustrator.>

+1 to that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not following your steps to reproduce. Can you provide the exact steps you take from creating a new document and Artboard through exactly the command and steps you using are to change the units.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Create new document that is 2000 px wide
2. Layer> New>artboard from layer
3. Click on the title of the artboard to highlight it, you should now see width and height in your toolbar.
4. Right click in width, and select a different unit ex px if you're in inches or vice versa.

Your results will be as follows, the unit will change properly, but the number will not. If you were in inches, your arboard will convert to ~26 pixels, if you were in pixels your artboard will convert to 2000 inches, stall your computer and throw an error saying the max is 444.4 in

Let me know if you neee anything further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. We will investigate. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in current versions of Photoshop. Let me know if you're still having issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks! Yup I noticed it’s been fixed, but I hope artboards in PS get some attention soon. After 3 years they still perform with the launch functionality. They only size from the top left, they are unable to be reorganized like in AI, exporting still crops everything to canvas bounds, eliminating artboards can expand canvas to artwork bounds, and the drag and drop functionality can be buggy misaligning layers if multiple have been selected. I am glad to see background colors can be chosen rather than white canvas and white workspace. All I’m saying is artboards could use a little love.

Votes

Translate

Translate