• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Color swatches in Library no longer changes color of shapes?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the beginning of Adobe CC, I've been using Libraries to set brand colors for clients and quickily select those colors as I make new shapes/text/etc. It seems as though since the latest Photoshop update (with support for Apple's M1 Chip) the ability to pick a Library color swatch and see a live preview of the shape change doesn't work. 

What used to be an easy process now seems to be completely...gone? Is this a graphics performance issue with the M1 Chip? Is there some new random button toggle I have to click to make this work like it used to (one of Adobe's favorite hobbies)?

How it used to work:

You could select the shape (also worked for text layers) you wanted to change the color on.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 2.41.46 PM.png

With the shape selected, you could pull up a Library and select one of your saved color swatches.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 2.43.05 PM.png

And this would automatically change the color of the shape on the artboard.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 2.45.40 PM.png

How it works now:

You have to first select the Library color swatch to change the Foreground color.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 2.47.39 PM.png'

Then you have to double click the Shape layer on the layer you want to change the color.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 2.49.05 PM.png

Then – using the eyedropper on the Foreground Color – the color will finally change on the shape.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-21-at-14.54.31-PM.jpg

Altnerate way it works (less than ideal):

And to keep anyone from wasting time replying, "you can select the fill or border color from the 'Appearance' section of the 'Properties" window – yes I know you can do that. This is even worse because I have to switch back and forth between Properties and Libraries tabs every time I want to change the Library color.

––––––––––

Does anyone know what's going on? This process takes a lot longer and is far more cumbersome than before. My team is wasting a ton of time on quick, production-level work that used to be easy and straight-forward.

Thanks for the support.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Thanks. Engineering is working on a fix for this. Libraries uses an asynchronous update method, meaning it streams to your computer outside the regular update method in the Creative Cloud desktop app. If you look under Help > System Info... you can see Libraries listed near the bottom among extensions. When the version bumps to 3.14.x, that will include the fix. I can't give a specific date but should be sometime mid September.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

There does seem to be another way by right clicking on the color swatch in the Libraries panel and clicking on Apply Fill Color.

FC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to still work with photoshop 2021 (22.5) running on macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

It's possible that's an issue only in the M1 photoshop versions.

Have you tried running photoshop using Rosseta 2 and/or resetting the photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There does seem to be another way by right clicking on the color swatch in the Libraries panel and clicking on Apply Fill Color.

FC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Engineering is working on a fix for this. Libraries uses an asynchronous update method, meaning it streams to your computer outside the regular update method in the Creative Cloud desktop app. If you look under Help > System Info... you can see Libraries listed near the bottom among extensions. When the version bumps to 3.14.x, that will include the fix. I can't give a specific date but should be sometime mid September.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey. I'll be on the lookout. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jeff Arola – your method of selecting 'Apply Fill Color' used to work as well, but I tried that under these circumstances and had the same issue. I appreciate your feedback. Looks like Adobe's working on a resolution. All will be well.

Votes

Translate

Translate