P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

44 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022
You'll need to run in Rosetta for now. Native support is coming in a future release.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021
If you're on a new Apple M1 processor machine, video isn't current supported. It's coming in the future. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html Run in Rosetta until native support is available for video.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 668 Replies 668
668 Comments
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video features are incomplete on M1 Macs and many of them simply won't work. You have to use other programs/ tools to at least convert your clip to an image sequence that can be imported.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. If there is a solution, please share! Thank you!! 

I'm running:

Photoshop version 22.4.2

Mac OS 11.4.0

MacBook Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, just got a new work computer with the M1 chip and am having this exact issue. Can no longer use the timeline feature to create .mp4 files as the button is greyed out and there is no way to toggle to the "video timeline" from the Timeline window, which means there is no way to export as a video file. Huge bummer. After Effects is too convoluted for the kind of simple GIF videos I need to make... Adobe, please fix ASAP! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case it helps anyone else, you can actually disable the current version and download the oldest available version of PS from CC and that has re-enabled this feature for me. Hopefully they fix it before I am forced to update to a newer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least with M1 Macs, in my experience this is not a viable option. I downgraded to the pre-M1 PS and it was completely unstable. Had 4 crashes in the course of a day. Moved back to newer the non-timeline M1-native version and crashes stopped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

blc2021, you deserve the nobel prize for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is photoshop going to fix this on subsequent releases of M1 optimized versions of photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I changed it back to the updated version after I finished that project. The new PS is super glitchy on my new computer too.. :'( The whole screen glitches constantly and oftentimes I can't even see what i'm working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How can i run Rosetta? Photoshop is working. Just not the import part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you fix it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* Ésto funcionó para mí, al final son de las cosas que ADOBE tiene que corregir para el M1 y ya va tarde para ésto. 

* This works for me , this is the kind of thing that ADOBE has to fix for the M1 , Adobe is going slow with this adaptations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you are running on a Mac.  Does anyone have a solution for those of us running on a PC?

Thanks,

Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @lindseyjo1102 you're a life saver. I was losing my mind for a sec

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Open with Rosetta" option works! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@photogal11 wrote:

It appears you are running on a Mac.  Does anyone have a solution for those of us running on a PC?

Hi Janet,

You added to a thread about the M1 chip, which does not apply to Windows. Can you please start a new thread and explain your issue there?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/bd-p/photoshop

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shameful ! After the hassles with Adobe Muse, and Adobe Dimension not even being available on M1 chip anymore ... now this ?!! Adobe is shooting itself in the foot !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I was shocked to find it missing. I couldn't believe such a useful feature was gone. Will have to use the timeline on the pc instead but I have been enjoying all the other features on the M1 Photoshop. I would love to see even more options included on the timeline such as smart filters, now that would make it 10,000 times more useful (I know, I could use After Effects but there are some things in Photoshop not in AE) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timeline still not working for M1 apple computers. Can't export or make simple animations 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay it's almost a year later and I still have this issue. Can't Adobe fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while trying to create a timeline on your M1 Mac. Would you mind sharing the version of Photoshop you're using along with your computers macOS version?

You can try running Photoshop under Rosetta to check if that helps. Please check: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

You can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed this and my info shows no option to run in rosetta... anybody have any luck figuring this out when they don't have the option to run in rosetta?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fix this..... now i can't do 80% of my work / income?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm using photoshop 22.4.3

and i dont understand why whene I open the timeline window he onle give me thre option of create frame animation.

can someone help me 

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate