P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

48 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022
We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here.   To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating   Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 868 Replies 868
868 Comments
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteIs Open (Intel) item available only on M1 macOS systems?

That’s right. The option is not displayed on Intel-based Mac systems because on those, Intel is the only mode…you’re already always opening the application using the Intel code. There’s no other choice.

On M1 Macs, Open (Intel) is available if the application contains code to run on both Intel and Apple Silicon. The option is not available if the application contains only Apple Silicon code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need Rosetta. Open your Photoshop (Intel) version on M1 Mac from the Creative Cloud window, via the three dots button next to the open button under Photoshop.

By @kaanbeyhan 

Technically, yes, you do need Rosetta. The Open (Intel) option works only because the Rosetta translator is installed and available to open the application using Intel code.

Just to avoid confusion when others read the post, what you are actually meaning to say is that you do not need to use the “Open Using Rosetta” option in the macOS Finder.

The long explanation is:

Use “Open (Intel)” if you want to open Photoshop using Intel code through Rosetta, only the next time you start Photoshop.

Use “Open Using Rosetta” if you want to open Photoshop using Intel code through Rosetta, every time you start Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

ich habe schon einiges gelesen und getestet, aber keine Lösung gefunden. Bei dem Öffnen von Video Dateien in Adobe Photoshop kommt die Fehlermeldung:

"Der Vorgang konnte nicht ausgeführt werden, weil Photoshop diesen Dateityp nicht erkennt."

Das hat sonst immer problemlos funktioniert. Könnte das mit dem Umstieg auf ein neues Macbook Pro mit M1 Chip zusammenhängen? 

Hat jemand eine Lösung?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to run in Rosetta for now. Native support is coming in a future release.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it 'the future' yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a reply to an earlier comment in this thread, from somewhere September 2021. Trying to delete, but can't. In short; nevermind my snarky comment as the latest post talking about a future release is from two days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the job. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked for me. M1 Max, Ps 22.3.2 on Rosseta mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing worked except installing older version i used 22.2. Wasted my time reading and trying useless solutions, fustrating when you have deadlines to meet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loll You don't know if anything will help until you try it. This info may be important for engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that this is happening, is the fustrating part. When you upgrade the program shouldnt downgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What To Do if "Render Video" in Photoshop is not Showing Up

I've had the same issue, and I followed Apple's instructions on using Rosetta. For M1 Mac users, you'll need to use Finder to go to Applications, find the Photoshop app, then click "Get Info" under the File menu. (Make sure you're clicking on the actual app and not the folder for the app.) You'll see a checkbox for "Open using Rosetta" which you want to be checked.

After quitting and reopening Photoshop, you'll now have the old option to Export>Render Video. However, you'll want to make sure you select "Adobe Media Encoder" instead of "Photoshop Image Sequence" to export your frames as an mp4 instead of a zillion jpgs.

Hopefully, I've saved others some time chasing down what "open in Rosetta" really means! Google "installing Rosetta" on the Apple support page if you need more visuals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible d'importer ou d'ouvrir une video sur photoshop 2022 mac mini m1 et de ce fait impossible de créer des gif animé venant de after effects 

{Thread merged by Moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same problem here on a brand new MBP M1 Max, the above solution did not work for me but I found a really helpful thread on Reddit with a working solution complete with screen capture. https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/m35jj3/import_video_frames_to_layers_gone_in_223/

Right click on the Photoshop app, click Get info and check "Open with Rosetta". Thank you Reddit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with Photoshop. We're here to help.

Currently, mac M1 machines are seeing some issues. Our team is investigating this and would suggest you use the workaround until it's fixed.

Please try using  Rosetta emulation mode. Have you tried that option? If not, please try it.

To learn how to run Photoshop in Rosetta, see About Rosetta.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work on PC. There is no intel option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this still not solved? I've learned a new software (2d animation) in the time that PSD has lost the ability to handle video timelines on the M1 platform. And I am pretty dumb. So, I would expect that the leading graphics software company on the planet could adopt a fundamental tool given unlimited resources (that's how perpetual rent works).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👍 Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish this was clear, in literally any way, so that I didn't have to spend an hour googling solutions, changing system permissions, reinstalling Photoshop, restarting.

Please consider changing the error dialog to "this functionality is not yet supported for M1 Macs, please boot Photoshop under Rosetta". It would save an incredible amount of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.28.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.28.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.28.56 AM.png

 Hi, i am unable to play an image sequence in photoshop. I tried image sequences in all naming formats (Main_0000 / Main-0000 / 0000) in both words & number formats & as well as in JPEG, PNG & TIFF formats as well. Not only does it remains in 1st frame only, also the "Play, mute, previous frames & Other" options are not activated to use it. 

If you notice closely, a "?" in red appears below the thumbnail of the imported file. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.41.01 AM.png

 Also, I am unable to find "video layer" option in "Layers" section, so that i could import video file as image sequence. 

Please do let me know the solution as its very important for my upcoming feature film project.

Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You may need to run Photoshop under rosetta, more info

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Urgent!
I have a MacBook Pro ChipM1. In layers, the video layer option does not appear. Does it have something to do with Rosetta? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use video functions open Photoshop under Rosetta.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never cared for the links to adobe support pages. They look like whitepages written by and for university professors and usually require a fair amount of disection to understand the answer. This is a common problem and I'm not sure why I have to degrade my photoshop experience to access the video feature. And if running PSD in rosetta isn't a degredation, then why not have it function there by default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, because the framework that provides the video ability can't be converted to Apple Silicon code.

Votes

Translate

Translate