• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here.

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 860 Replies 860
860 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with Photoshop. We're here to help.

Currently, mac M1 machines are seeing some issues. Our team is investigating this and would suggest you use the workaround until it's fixed.

Please try using  Rosetta emulation mode. Have you tried that option? If not, please try it.

To learn how to run Photoshop in Rosetta, see About Rosetta.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work on PC. There is no intel option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this still not solved? I've learned a new software (2d animation) in the time that PSD has lost the ability to handle video timelines on the M1 platform. And I am pretty dumb. So, I would expect that the leading graphics software company on the planet could adopt a fundamental tool given unlimited resources (that's how perpetual rent works).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👍 Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish this was clear, in literally any way, so that I didn't have to spend an hour googling solutions, changing system permissions, reinstalling Photoshop, restarting.

Please consider changing the error dialog to "this functionality is not yet supported for M1 Macs, please boot Photoshop under Rosetta". It would save an incredible amount of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.28.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.28.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.28.56 AM.png

 Hi, i am unable to play an image sequence in photoshop. I tried image sequences in all naming formats (Main_0000 / Main-0000 / 0000) in both words & number formats & as well as in JPEG, PNG & TIFF formats as well. Not only does it remains in 1st frame only, also the "Play, mute, previous frames & Other" options are not activated to use it. 

If you notice closely, a "?" in red appears below the thumbnail of the imported file. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.41.01 AM.png

 Also, I am unable to find "video layer" option in "Layers" section, so that i could import video file as image sequence. 

Please do let me know the solution as its very important for my upcoming feature film project.

Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You may need to run Photoshop under rosetta, more info

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Urgent!
I have a MacBook Pro ChipM1. In layers, the video layer option does not appear. Does it have something to do with Rosetta? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use video functions open Photoshop under Rosetta.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never cared for the links to adobe support pages. They look like whitepages written by and for university professors and usually require a fair amount of disection to understand the answer. This is a common problem and I'm not sure why I have to degrade my photoshop experience to access the video feature. And if running PSD in rosetta isn't a degredation, then why not have it function there by default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, because the framework that provides the video ability can't be converted to Apple Silicon code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hi, because the framework that provides the video ability can't be converted to Apple Silicon code."

Adobe are one of the largest software companies in the world. If they wanted to do it, they would do it (convert or rewrite from scratch). Technical difficulties, no, surely just an excuse. What we are seeing is Adobe's priorities. I strongly suspect Adobe want to remove video from Photoshop, just as they removed 3D, because they have other video products to sell. A debate may even now be raging about whether to do this work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine telling people you can't convert a frame work which has pulled all raster animation tools from all adobe products but yet free Krita has had no problem with it. It seems like adobe is where software goes to die, do they even have a dev team anymore or just feature set of coders. A good example of this is flash / animate they bought it and never fixed any of the timeline issues, ui, or add raster, they just feature creeped it. Another is the ability to view thumb nails in explorer on PC, they claim it's microsofts fault but when you look at other software like affininty they have no problem doing it. 

Maybe it's time we apes make a protest on adobe against this clear scam of a subscription. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two posts that commit to a future release, and I can tell that one VERY RARELY see that kind of mentions in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have the same problem with macOS Monterey and Apple M1 Max, PS 23.3.2. Photoshop no longer recognizes video data. Please Adobe fix this problem in the next update. I need this functionality in my daily work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Im trying to make a Video frame animation, my problem now is that I can´t switch from Frame-Animation to Video-Frame- Animation for some reason. Very greatfull for Tips on how to fix it. 

Ty for helping answers. :))WhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 14.00.30.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 14.00.31.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using an M1 Mac then you need to run Photoshop under Rosetta to use video functions.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kai,

The correct information has been shared by @davescm
Merging this with the primary/parent thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-convert-to-video-timeline-option-missing-a...

Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to reply to say thanks. The customer service online chat was no help. I didn't realize there were issues with Photoshop using an M1 Mac. Thank you a million times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I "run in Rosetta"?
I visited te "about Rosetta" link, but still have no idea what I shoukd do.
Is there a step by step guide? Alternatively, how do I downgrade to a previous Photoshop version?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861 — you should only have to do this once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too. I create thumnails for my YouTube channel and I just import the MOV file and take the images from the video. Never used to have a problem for years but now it starts to import to about 85% slows right down and then I have to just cancell it because it takes too long. I have a beast of a pc too. 64GB Ram i9 Processor and a 3090 GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that's not helping me.
I got my answer though -  I had to chose the Photoshop app on my computer, go to it's info and check the "run with Rosetta" box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Monterey

Version 12.3.1

Macbook Pro (M1, 2020)

Photoshop 23.3.2

When attempting to add an mp4 file to a timeline in Photoshop, I get the following error.
"Could not complete your request because the footage is not a recognized format."

Perusing the forums and web for solutions, I've installed Rosetta 2, allowed Photoshop permissions in Accessibility and Full Disk Access, and reset Photoshop preferences to default. None of this has worked. I would really appreciate help finding a solution so that I can move forward with a project I've been intending to complete.

I hope thats enough information. Thanks ahead of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so so much! I wasted so much time and finally found your answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate