• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Could not use the spot healing brush / fill because there's not enough memory

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this ever going to get fixed? After hours of googling all I find is more people having the same problem.
This is in no way actually related to not enough memory, I have 40% of my 16 GB RAM free, 8 GB scratch space on one disk, 200 GB more on another, and it happens even when I'm trying to content-aware fill a single pixel in <1 MB single layer file...

Persists after reinstalls or resetting preferences, same in 19.0, 20.0.1 and 20.0.2
Other people have reproduced the bug, given the steps.
Here's a sample file: https://ufile.io/a4fml
- zoom in to 300% (optional)
- select spot healing brush (default = size 19 px, mode normal, content-aware)
- click with it at the top here: https://imgur.com/a/oyfKPdh
Alternatively:
- click anywhere else, it does the memory message anywhere unless it's an empty area.
- select any non-transparent area, even if it's just 1 pixel, with the rectangular marquee, click it with the right mouse button and select fill (content-aware)

And yes, I know the intended effect could be done in other ways, but that's not the point here. I've been doing this in the past all the time, so it did work before (using content-aware healing spot on the borders or transparent parts).
The only change I can think of is that I desaturated (shift+ctrl+u) this layer.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019
This issue should be fixed in the current version, Photoshop 2020 v21.x or later. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
Mentor ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I can definitely reproduce this issue. Not sure why the transparency triggers the out of memory, but it's probably go something to do with not having enough pixel info to pull samples from. More than likely there's plenty of memory, but Ps just throws out that error because there's not one for not having enough to sample from...
If you put a solid color fill below your layer, everything works as expected, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1. I can also reproduce this. I hope Adobe devs will take a look and possibly solve other memory issues for PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a memory issue, it's just an error caused by a lack of image to use for the heal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or fill 🙂 I'D say Ivan's issue is closely related, as not only the error message is the same, but also tools used (healing brush/fill).

Also it's kinda weird to not have enough image if I select just 1 pixel, even in the middle of the ~95x17 non-transparent pixels area. Shouldn't transparent pixels be "image" anyway? Just with special color 🙂
Adding a solid color fill layer only helps if I check Sample All Layers - and when working on the borders, it would heal/fill with the fill color instead of transparency.

I'm just hoping that bugs like this will be easier spotted (and fixed) when dealing with as simple example as possible that still causes this to happen, contrary to the usual workflows, which usually means big files and lots of stuff open in the background which may make the causes harder to pinpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Those files were extremely helpful to consistently reproduce the problem. I'll have the engineers take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the current version, Photoshop 2020 v21.x or later. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few versions ago, PS 2019 wouldn't start up if I had less than 8 GB free on disk (moved to bigger disk now). I think (not 100% sure) that even with a 2nd scratch disk available, it still seemed bothered by the one with just 8 GB. Your problem reminded me of that, and it may still not be fixed, or considered fair. It is of course not much, but PS 2018 worked fine with that (and smaller pics).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, memory problem wise, the newest PS is even worse.
Now my PC clogs and stutters with black screens if I have LR and PS working together and trying to edit some images in PS.

It literally just falls apart. One solution is to close the LR Classic and continue working in PS with few hiccups, but at least I can work there.

The other route is to completely upgrade my PC that I will have to do. Mind you, my machine is nowhere near obsolete and SHOULD offer a working environment for both programs (i7-6700, 16GB ddr4 ram, 6gb VRAM GTX1060), but since ver. 2019 that was hard and now with 2020 version it's downright impossible.

But it is what it is - a completely non-optimized, buggy software, hungry for power "just because" - why should we optimize memory usage when memory modules are cheap again, eh?
Why? Because, guys, I don't mind slower speeds, slower loading times, but PS & LR should work with 16gb ram and almost unlimited scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yeah, there's a really bad memory leak with Lr taking up all available VRAM and causing issues when used at the same time as Ps.
Been that way for a few months now and they haven't yet acknowledged the issue, as far as i know...

Votes

Translate

Translate