Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crash opening JPEG or raw file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there....

I use the Macbook Pro 16" Apple M1 Max with 32GB RAM.

After updating the macOS 12.5.1, I found out that I couldn't open/import the jpg and raw file in photoshop (but I can open/import jpg file in Ai...)
Once I open the photos with Photoshop, it will crash...

(and I even cannot open Lightroom...)

Can anyone tell me what's happen... I've tried to use previous version before but not work.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The February 2023  updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
20 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @chun hangl37448508 sorry to hear this. Thank you for supplying your crash report(s) on this, will have the team look into it to see what might be going on. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the exact same issue on an M1 iMac.Photoshop will open, but I cannot open any type of image file without the application crashing.

Used CC Cleaner, reinstalled the MacOS... Nothing will get Photoshop to open images. Spent hours on with Adobe remote customer service and even with them taking control of my machine... they could not determine the issue. Would sending my own crash report help with this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@veepeedeepee yes, please share your CR so the team will have more info as they research this.

If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html That will help us diagnose the crash. 

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How should I submit it if I don't have the option? All I have is an "Adobe Photoshop quit unexpectedly," and nowhere to submit the crash report to Adobe. Thanks for your help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for this @veepeedeepee.

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue about 3 days ago and still unsolved.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Anyime I open a JPG, Photoshop crashes.

Computer: 3 month old 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max w/32GB memory. macOS Monterey 12.5.1 (latest non-beta version).

Photoshop versions tried: 23.5 (current) & 23.4.2, BOTH Apple silicon & Intel Rosetta translated versions.

Creative Cloud says Camera Raw is up to date.

Regardless of size of JPG or extension (.jpg vs .jpeg), Photoshop crashes immediately. PSDs & PNGs open without issue.

I've uninstalled Photoshop compeltely, verified Photoshop is removed from /Library/Application Support, and reinstalled.

I'm at a loss at this point on what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert ....
I've finally received the updated version of Photoshop, and I can finally open the png file. But jpg and raw (like cr2.) still cannot open...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually gave up and this was fixed for me by creating a new user account on my Mac. This was a last resort, but I needed to get work done and didn't have time to keep trying to troubleshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sound stupid but if it is work, this is the only way to let me try....
But are you using the same Mac without resotre/ update the mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in both PS and LR. I've sent multiple crash reports, uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times but nothing works. I can open .png files fine but not .jpg. Has anyone found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe it's the latest version that's preventing me from opening jpg and other files and causing PS to crash. It also happens in Lightroom. I'm on Mac OS 12.6 with M1 Max processor. Opens psd  and png files without issue but bombs every time I try to open jpg.  Photoshop 23.5.1. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted preferences but nothing is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. 
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just quick reminder as a workaround for situations: you can roll back to previous working version.

rollbackps.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, that is not fun!
Is it only one JPG? is it stored locally? (I would not suspect the latest Ps update if Lr(classic?)  also crashes.)

Did you try launching Ps without plugins? Hold Shift as you start Ps.

Does the JPG show ok in any other application?

Where was it generated?

You stated other files: which ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Craig225732448xs2 Thank you. I found your crash reports.You are seeing the crash in this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. Changed preferences on the 1st reco without success. Not seeing the "GPU Compositing" option in advanced settings as seen in the screenshot below.

2022-10-04_17-58-17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an issue where Photoshop 2022 wouldn't open (meaning it would crash evcery time) a jpg or raw photo. I tried turning OFF GPU, threading and even tried installing older versions, all to no avail. I realized my installed version of Bridge was an Intel version, and the program itself wouldn't open. I uninstalled Bridge, Photoshop and LR Classic (manually removed Camera Raw folders too). Then reinstalled Bridge 12.0.3 from online (it didn't show up in the CC app, just the Intel version). Then installed Photoshop and LR Classic. ALL is working well now! Bridge gave me a message that it was installing some Photoshop files, so I believe there is an order of installation required (Brdige first!). Using a Macbook 16 inch M1 Max. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The February 2023  updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great news, thank you, Rikk!