Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crashes on applying color lookup adjustment layer

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 21.0.2 crashes on applying color lookup adjustment layer:

1. Apply a color lookup adjustment layer to any image.
  2. In the color lookup properties, select Abstract. Chose any value from the dropdown
  3. Save the image as jpeg. Once you click on the JPEG options window, photoshop crashes. It also creates an image of 0 bytes size
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020
This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate
24 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm. Mac on Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. I missed the OS part. Mine is Mac Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 7
2. Selecting Abstract opens a File window here. And the dropdown has no choices. Maybe because I've never loaded something before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that, too. Click cancel in the File window, then with Abstract still targeted, you can click on the downward triangle and select a named preset.  If you still have no presets there, let us know. Something else is wrong in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing there, but it's the same in PS 2017. I think it's normal when you have never loaded one through there? The ones you loaded may then appear in the dropdown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not normal if you don't have the shipped presets in the Abstract dropdown list. I hadn't loaded an Abstract preset, either, and you never have to load one of these from the disk. In fact, it can be difficult to find the ones that ship with the adjustment layers. Do you have any of them? If you click on 3DLUT file instead, do you see the list? The fact that the first time you enable the  button for Abstract  it immediately opens the File window may itself be a bug. The other buttons don't.

Here's what you should see after dismissing the window and opening the drop down list:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Not sure I've ever seen these. I do have the LUTs and I know how to add to them.
Does this have a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only "fix" I can think of would be to a) remove Preferences, making sure you're covered (https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html, and if that fails, b) uninstall and reinstall, since it appears there's a problem with everything getting installed in good working order. I can't think of any other reason. Adobe Staff might have a better idea, although generally speaking, these procedures aren't too awful to run through.

But if both of these efforts fail, it's really up to someone who knows the code pretty well or has come across this before. Looking in the Package Contents on my Mac, I don't see anything about these presets—others, sure. I don't have the expertise to identify all the files in the multitude of folders that are all over the hard drive, but nothing obvious is showing up in any I know to look at.

I really don't know if it could be a Win 7 problem. But it was fully supported, as I recall, in 2017. Have you been carrying your preferences forward? Because if you have, you've also been carrying the problem forward, so starting over with new preferences sounds like a good idea by this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to turn off PS taking over preferences (or trying to import everything), so that could be a good tip. Just not in my case, I think, cos I had to reinstall Win 7 a few months ago. Meaning, it seems neither PS 2017 up to 2020 is doing this right -- these are missing everywhere for me, and a search on one of those names doesn't turn anything up. These may sit in some Common folder somewhere though... May try and look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you appear to do scripting, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you did better than I at finding these things. Good luck with it.

If you uninstall, the Creative Cloud app asks if you want to keep Preferences. You can say no at that point and that should be all you need to do. Don't say yes to migrating anything if it asks if you want to after you reinstall. The new Creative Cloud app is much more open about this feature—it used to hide everything important from users during the uninstall/reinstall process.

To trash Preferences without uninstalling, on a Mac with PS not running, press Cmd-Opt-Shift and click on the app icon. That should be Ctrl-Alt-Shift and click the icon to launch it on Windows—if it's the same kbsc. The link I put in probably has the right kbsc.  '-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 🙂  I mostly do very basic "3-liner" scripts, but even these can make things way cool.
I think I found a solution through this thread. I see I still have the Abstract files in my old install, so now gonna copy them over and see...
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2018-color-lookup-abstract-profiles-blacklight-et...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I threw everyting I had into a new folder, to see what it would recognize...
c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\Photoshop Color Lookup\

I seem to have less than you, but it works (maybe a correct install of 2020 adds some new ones).  Some may not belong to Adobe, not sure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of these are in here too, just not all of the ones you showed...
c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Color Profiles\

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Persistent of you to find them. I finally found the Mac equivalent. It's our System Library> Application Support> Adobe> Color Profiles. Both the Device Link and the Abstract .icc profiles are in it in one list. As you pointed out, the list isn't identical. It's possible, though, that some of the names are the filenames, while the preset is called something else, one file stands for more than one preset, or those HDR and P3D profiles are used  somewhere else.

They aren't making it easy on us, are they? <BG>

So now you get to crash your system testing this? LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's literally a fulltime job getting things in order, trying to improve your workflow and finding bugs everywhere... The main positive: PS has not crashed here all by itself.
Can't confirm this bug on PC Win 7 either. Works fine and file saves ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you saved as a JPEG and when the dialog opened and you were asked to choose compression and format options, clicking okay just saved the JPEG for you?  Maybe you fixed something broken for us when you went through all this to get those presets. <BG>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*CRASH BUG CONFIRMED*  i usually use Save for Web, which works. Indeed, the other one crashes PS. The file saves fine but then it crashes. It also seems to replace all layers with just one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my hope that your weird situation held the clue for this is dashed. <BG> Ah well. Thanks for trying again. There's nothing quite like crashing our programs on purpose.  '-}

>It also seems to replace all layers with just one.<

If it saves as a JPEG, that is precisely what it should do automatically. So no bug there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If it saves as a JPEG, that is precisely what it should do automatically. So no bug there."
> That would be bad...  In 2017 it does give you that impression, but layers are restored after saving. Not in 2020...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you mean it flattens the PSD you made the JPEG from? It doesn't do that on Mojave. It always "saves a copy," because I've got layers, whether I saved first as a PSD or left it unsaved as Untitled."

OTOH, it's crashing or not depending upon what I'm saving. If I create a new document and either leave it as Untitled or save it as a PSD, add the Abstract CLUT and then choose Save As JPEG, it doesn't crash. If I open a JPEG image, add an Abstract CLUT, then choose Save As JPEG, it crashes. I get a 0byte JPEG. So in this case, I've nothing to open and my original JPEG is unaffected.

I can't seem to replicate your issue where you say it's replacing all the layers with just one. I can't save it "just fine" as you managed to. I now wonder how dependent this all is upon the original format of the file we added a CLUT to. It wasn't sitting around long enough to have auto-recovery kick in.

And as weird as it's behaving, I rather expect it could be all different again tomorrow. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hardly ever use the normal Save as... (jpg) (manually) so I couldn't remember ever seeing the dialog making the layer setup appear as just one (which could be a bit scary), but it restores right after saving (in PS 2017 on PC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These were 6 layers, but the moment the dialog opens it displays as one (which in some way could make sense, I guess, showing you the merged version that will be saved) ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes..its fixed now.

But the weird folder dialog still appears when I click on the radio buttons. not an issue but not sure of its usability.

Votes

Translate

Translate