• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crashes when generating a normal map from diffuse (Windows 10)

LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My Photoshop keeps constantly crashing whenever I try to create a Normal Map from Diffuse in the 3D mode. So far I have found out that the crashing occurs when working with any higher resolution images. I tried several different sizes of the same exact picture, and the crashing didn't occur with 1024x1024 px picture, but did happen when the size was 2048x2048 px.

I have saved the crash report logs, if they can be used to fix this issue.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too.  Photoshop CC 7 crashes when I try to create a normal map, either from a flat dds, or from the PS file source itself, and my file is 1024. Crashes instantly when I try to normal map.  Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got what sounds like the same issue on 13th Feb 2018 with a brand new, first-time install of Photoshop CC (which was a trial version that has now expired).  I had 100% reproducible crashes, all of which I sent via the crash report mechanism.  I'd posted my findings on the community forums here -
https://forums.adobe.com/message/10190862
since that's where Adobe Creative Cloud's 'Help' ended up taking me, but I'm told it's better to post these things here.

Although it looks like the issue still hasn't been fixed in 12 months, if any devs need any more information from me in order to fix this issue, feel free to let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets have a look at the System info we just need the first chunk:
Menu > Help > System Info

Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.0 and so on ...
... all the bits of info...
to here > Required Plug-ins folder: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018/Adobe Photoshop CC 

If you can post a portion here then we can have a look and see if we can find a solution. Or you can email it to me daniel at adobe dot com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many that have this issue are using a Dual-monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! Disabling my second monitor fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that valuable feedback!

I'll create a bug ticket here so that we can address that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the hint, Daniel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue on this however, i do not have dual monitors. I do have a laptop mounted to a docking station which in return is hooked up to a monitor. This crash happens 100% of the time no matter how i go about making normals Filter / 3D or but going into 3d workspace. Both ways fail 100%. I am running the latest CC. Any word on possible cures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
There's definitely a problem with the normal map generator. a bit ago, I had a problem that I thought was related to my graphics card, but it cropped up again. For me, Photoshop doesn't crash, it just jiggles a bit, and then happily applies the Filter>3D>Generate Normal Map as transparent setting, without allowing any adjustments. Right-clicking the effect on the smart object to edit the blending options displays the filter as the correct colors, but it's all blurry and shallow-looking, but there's no way to edit or change the effect. Just last week it was working

Votes

Translate

Translate