• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crashes when using the filter Lighting Effects

Engaged ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just not happy with this version of PS - it's buggy and frustrating. 

• When using Filter, Render, Lighting Effects PS crashes every single time. 
  • I've also reported on this forum the problems with the Adjustment Layers and using Blend  modes. They are not working as they should. 
  • The Constrain Link doesn't work. It's a bug. . . and yes I know that you don't hold Shift to maintain aspect ratio now but when you un-check the Maintain Aspect Ratio constrain link on the toolbar and then use transform it still maintains aspect ratio. . .  un-checking the link should disable aspect ratio shouldn't it? The shift key + transform disables aspect ratio but doesn't correspond with the constrain link on the tool bar.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cc-2019-blend-modes-not-working

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cc-2019-layer-blend-mode-color-isnt-working-c...

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/free-transform-maintain-aspect-ratio-broken-a...

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.0 20180920.r.24 2018/09/20: 1193433  x64
Number of Launches: 1225
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.17134.1
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 4
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3 MHz
Built-in memory: 32627 MB
Free memory: 19421 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 29878 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 65 %
Alias Layers: Disabled.
Modifier Palette: Enabled.
Highbeam: Enabled.
Image tile size: 1024K
Image cache levels: 4
Font Preview: Huge
TextComposer: Latin
Display: 1
Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1200, right=1920
OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced
OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

RackMultipart20181019272791xlo-d4e64875-396d-4c5a-91c9-d2048bc7405e-518027296.PNGRackMultipart20181019272791xlo-d4e64875-396d-4c5a-91c9-d2048bc7405e-518027296.PNG

Rosa
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019
All is working how it should.

I used the Lighting Effects on both a normal layer and a smart object and no crashing whatsoever after updating to 20.0.2 . I'm quite pleased at how quickly the filter rendered also.

Thanks Jeffrey

I must mention that I tried the Lighting Effects on 50% grey layer as well. 

All exports as should and can re open psd and all Lighting Effects are as normal. I noticed on another forum that there were issues with the Lighting Effects filter when saving.  Hope this helps.

I h...

Votes

Translate

Translate
67 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to the heads-up from Mark and Rosa I tried the old version (19.1.6) and lo and behold the crash is not there.
Here's what I do in current and previous version of Photoshop:

- Create a new document 1000x1000px 300ppi sRGB 8bit
- Use Filter - Render - Lighting Effects

After clicking OK v20.0 crashes but v19.1.6 does not. Also I have to mention that v20 boots slower and feels a lot more sluggish all around, both apps use the same GFX settings (advanced)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome Wim. I think v20.0 is sluggish too. 
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug with the constrain link on the toolbar which I've submitted as a separate issue. It doesn't work in V20.0 
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v20 feels like I have just downgraded my hardware.
v19 feels a lot faster, snappier, for starters boot time went from 3s (v19) to +10s (v20)
I trust though they get things fixed with an update. A few things (amongst others) that should receive priority is the Lighting Effects crash bug because many of us use this on a daily basis in our work and the Transform issues that hopefully will receive a prefs setting that allows us to use the old method. With time I'm sure we could all adapt to the new transform method but Adobe please imagine it's almost like putting our gear stick on the other side.
As an engineer I would be all over this btw just so I could receive all the love after fixing these issues.
Anyway, I'll stick with v19 for now until things are more ironed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I want to change the default "Edit In" app within Lightroom to the previous version of Photoshop (having both installed obviously) how would I do that? I know my way around so I am willing to edit a prefs file. I've already changed file associations for PSD, TIFF, JPG and RAW files to the older version in Bridge.

Update: since I use Lighting Effects on a regular basis and because I don't know how to solve the above issue I have uninstalled Photoshop v20. Lightroom went back to v19 (2018) as the default Edit In app, so did all file type associations in bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop CC 20.0.1

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. 

See what’s fixed

To update Photoshop CC to 20.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop CC. More detailed instructions for updating

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup the crashing is no more so let me be the first to say thanks to technical support for forwarding this and keeping us updated and many thanks to the Adobe team of course for fixing this issue in such a short timeframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, had another crash which did not happen in v19 performing the same steps. Back to v19 for me guys, I'll stick with this one for a while. The new Content Aware will be missed but I do prefer stability over new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lighting Effects? Did you submit the log with your email? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes with Lighting Effects. I did not provide the log mate, I might do so in the future.
Thing is, my time is better spent on creating imagery rather then beta testing so v19 will do for now.
It's not so much the hassle of sending the log, it's more the hassle of experiencing the crash which puts a halt on my workflow. It seems with v20 a crash (or other issue) is just around the corner. It's as if they switched engines instead of upgrading/refining the old one.
I have uninstalled v20 because it seems Lr gets confused running both versions.

Thanks though Jeffrey, take care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll see if I can dig it out and figure out what you're hitting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I am playing with Ps 2019 Version 20.0.1 running on a fully updated version of Win7 Pro. I am still experiencing crashes when using the 'Lighting Effects' feature similar to what Wim reported earlier. I can make edits using the tool and all seems to be working as expected. When I commit my changes by clicking OK all looks like it's going OK for a few seconds, then Ps crashes. It is very repeatable. I've submitted a crash report. This did not happen with version 19.

There is some good news however; it appears the blend mode feature is working correctly again with the new compositing engine in the latest version. So some progress. If I run into other issues as I use the new version I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm asking engineering to keep an eye out for these to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean "keep an out for these to investigate."

By the way all the other 'Render' filters seem to work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks, as I said it's repeatable on PS 20.0.1 on my system. I watch to see if other are seeing the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffery,

I've done some additional experimentation. I found that if I apply the 'Lighting Effects' filter to a 'smart object' PS does not crash. So, prior to using the 'Lighting Effects' filter on an image converting the image to a 'smart Object' first may be a viable workaround for some users. If I don't do this PS will crash every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under macOS 10.14.2 and PS 20.01 the problem is solved.

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 2 months and still same behavior!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I'm using the latest updates to both Mojave and Photoshop, and the problem with Lighting Effects remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem persists 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed it does. A workaround is to convert to a Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how????

Votes

Translate

Translate