• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Create new window not reflecting right dimensions from clipboard

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having an issue with photoshop where File > New > is not auto-inputting the clipboard size into the canvas size for the new document. This has worked on every version of photoshop until this point. I sadly ended up on version 23.3.2 (photoshop just updated itself in the last couple days I guess without me noticing, and I am pretty sure I had that auto update turned off since I reverted back to 22.2 a couple weeks ago, sigh)

Have you guys considered testing your product before launching updates? I reverted back to 22.2 because of all the bugs I was experiencing with the latest versions. Seems turning auto update off cant even save me. 

{Thread title modified by moderator}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Hi everyone, 

The fix for this should be available to all now and will come from the Creative Cloud desktop app, and not through a Photoshop update. 

To update: 

• Visit the Creative Cloud Desktop app's "Updates" tab, and click Check for Updates. 
  • If that doesn't resolve it, try signing out of Creative Cloud desktop app, and signing back in.

If you performed this workaround, you may need to revert those workaround steps to receive the updated plugin. 

If updated successfully, you will se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Just switched to Legacy "New Document" Interface and it works fine that way.

Edit > Preferences > General > check Use Legacy "New Document" Interface

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 310 Replies 310
310 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've found a work around... SO when you copy an image or part of an image from another document, do the following:  Copy the image [ or marqueed area you want ], and go to NEW document. The default document in list is typically teh "Clipboard" option. This is the problem, as it is NOT the EXACT same size or rez as your copied image. What you need to do is cycle thru a few other sized "custom" document options WITHOUT actually creating a new document, just cycle thru by clicking on the other option, and then go back to the Clipboard option, where it will readjust the size to the correct image and doc size required. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solution (use "Use Legacy Document" checkbox) has worked for me on all our Macs (we run latest version OS and Adobe software) using just six key strokes... (on PC, substitute Windows key for Cmd key):

1. Using Cmd-C, copy source material, such as a JPG opened in Preview

3. In Photoshop, use Cmd-N to create new art file (or File > New)

4. New file dialog box opens — ours defaults Document Type to Clipboard

5. File attributes match Clipboard contents (such as width, height, resolution, color mode, etc)

6. Use the Return key (or Enter key, or click OK)

7. New blank file window opens correctly sized to Clipboard contents

8. Use Cmd-V to paste Clipboard contents - creates a new layer over a Background (white) layer

9. Use Cmd-E to Merge Layers (or delete the Background layer) 

10. Use Cmd-S to name the file, save to desired destination.

So it's six keystrokes and ten steps: Cmd-C source, Cmd-N in PShop, then OK, Cmd-V, Cmd-E, Cmd-S, done. Six keystrokes.

I'm NOT declaring that this will solve everyone's Photoshop issues — just relaying what worked for us here. Obviously, your mileage may vary... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agradezco a Adobe Support Community Mailer por el apoyo y la ayuda.

Pude resolver mi problema, gracias a uno de los consejos recibidos.

Abriendo la aplicación Photoshop, fui a Preferencias, entré a Generales, y allí le hic un click a Usar interfaz heredada “documento nuevo”.  Puse Ok.  Cerré la aplicación y la abrí de nuevo.

Ahora funcionó perfecto.

Tomé una selección de una foto, le hice “Copiar”, abrí un Nuevo archivo, y la imagen, al “Pegar” desde el portapapeles, quedó exactamente como la selección que yo había hecho.

Muchas gracias nuevamente por el apoyo, mejor que el directo de la empresa Adobe (me contacté por chat y no logré nada).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paul25217381yb3j & @jeffseaver 

I posted a script on page 1 of this topic as a workaround (we are now on page 8 ), which allows the "new" new document interface setting to be retained for everything but creating a new document from the clipboard where the script would be run.

Here it is again:

#target photoshop

try {
    // New Doc from Clipboard - Courtesy of the late Michael L. Hale
    var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
    var desc1 = new ActionDescriptor();
    desc1.putString(stringIDToTypeID("preset"), "Clipboard");
    desc.putObject(charIDToTypeID("Nw  "), charIDToTypeID("Dcmn"), desc1);
    executeAction(charIDToTypeID("Mk  "), desc, DialogModes.ALL);
} catch (error) {
    alert("The clipboard is empty or does not have suitable content to create a new document!");
}

Change  DialogModes.ALL  to  DialogModes.NO  if you don't want the interface.

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

And here is the original script that I modified for this topic, this original code includes the paste command which you may prefer to the above version as it should fully automate the process:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stephen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, Adobe. Fix this! Even with a workaround, it's a workflow breaker. Can't believe it wasn't fixed in the latest update. This is BASIC FUNCTONALITY. I get that things break with updates, but this is so essential/fundamental it should be at the top of the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! When I want to create a document by the size of the picture from the clipboard, the dimensions of the document are not updated automatically.

My version now:
Adobe Photoshop: 23.4.2 20220711.r.603 aa147b3 arm64
Mac OS 12.1.0

The previous version didn't have this problem:
Adobe Photoshop: 22.3.1 20210406.r.122 990be2c arm64.

But I updated the Mac, updated the PS, and everything became not so comfortable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS version 23.4.2
Windows 10

I've had this issue for several months now, but at the moment it's changed from annoying to unworkable.

Every time i copy an image or text I first have to paste said image or text in another application before photoshop updates it's clipboard cache.

If it's the first image I've copied since startup it just refuses to paste anything, and after that it always pastes the second to last images/text that was copied instead of the most recent one. Purging the cache doesn't seem to fix this.

This issue also seems to affect trying to open a new file in the size of the clipboard. It shows the size of the clipboard, but then ignores it when making the file. Double clicking on the clipboard creates a file which ignores the size of the clipboard.
Again using the size of the second to last file on the clipboard or last opened size

clipboard issue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@smeckdesigns does photoshop also paste the WRONG (previous) file as well? or is it just a clipboard sizing issue for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a work around that works, and it's just an extra step!

After copying, I hit Ctrl+N, Esc, and then Ctrl+N again.

Basically, the clipboard size is correct, however, the width and height of the new file don't get updated.

This workaround works 100% of the time for me. 

Annoying, but at least it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to create a new document, the "clipboard" document size is pre-selected as expected, the size on that selection is correct, however the actual document size to be created (to the right) is the last created document size.

I need to either manually update the document size, or click OFF of the clipboard present and back onto it.

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started having this EXACT same issue after the last update. It's horribly annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SimplTrix  yes it's both, clipboard size and pasting the wrong (previous) images.

until they fix this I constantly have paint opened just to paste images in order to update the photoshop clipboard.
Very time consuming when trying to paste a large number of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Photoshop 2022 on Mac Os Monterey 12.4

Copy document, Paste into new Document, same size,

(fast move i do since 2000)

now distracted by dialogue option, then: not using the actual size, but always using the sitze of a "Template (Vorlage (Recent)" not the size of "clipboard (zwichenablage)"... 

no matter where I click on... 

It could be so simlpe: COPY selection 3245x3578px (appers as "from Clipboard)

i click new document, (doubleclick), it is then: 1000x2000 px (from some recent document i created... whenever... 

this makes me really mad, because everything works fine in Photoshop 2021 (btw even the wonderful shpherical panorama option i was using for fulldome movie projects- 

I pay every month for a product that seems to stop working since i Updated on the new OS, and started to work wrong since the update to Photoshop 2022...

help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2022 on Mac Os Monterey 12.4

Copy document, Paste into new Document, same size,

By @J_bln7

Hi

This is a known bug and the engineers are working on a fix. There are several workarounds. One is to click another preset such as "Default", then click again on the preset for "Clipboard".

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating a new document from screen capture, the clipboard is not populating the width and height correctly.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop version 23.4.2 latest one and it's not working on iMac, very very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this works.

Fix this bug Adobe! The Problems with Photoshop 2022 seems endless...

so sad, but thanks for the super quick answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@smeckdesigns so I think that is actually 2 different problems

The canvas size not updating properly to the "Copied" image dimensions is a bug introduced in the latest 23.4 version

Photoshop "Pasting" the previous/old image is a different problem that has been  plaguing me for some time. I actually started a different thread on it, though it seems to just get swept under the rug. I encourage you to post there too, to get more eyes on it. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/bug-clipboard-problem-sometimes-can-t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue

When trying to create a new document for the clipboard. The preset details don't automatically up the width and height, it is still whatever that last document size was. You have to click on another document preset and then back onto the clipboard to get the resolution to update. 

• Photoshop version: 23.4.2

Steps to reproduce:

1. Cut and paste any image into the clipboard.
  2. Photoshop > open a new file.
  3. Clipboard displays the correct image size but the preset details are not automatically updating

Expected result: Preset details automatically update to clipboard size.
Actual result: Preset details are previous document size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated Photoshop I have been having issues with Copy & Copy Merged. Prior to the update, when I would copy something and open a new file to paste, it would retain the size of the copied area. Now it is opening a new file with completely different dimensions. It is extremely frustrating as it really slows down my productivity as I do a lot of copying and pasting in my work.

I have upgraded my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) to macOS Monterey, Version 12.5, restarted multiple times, ran Disk Utility, etc. and I am still seeing this issue.

I have been working in Photoshop since it's first release, so I am not a newbie. What is odd is that this is happening with both Copy & Copy Merged and layered files and files with no layers. I am not having this issue on my work computer as I have not upgraded Photoshop there and am afraid to do so if this persists. 

Is this issue known and being worked on? Or has somthing changed and there is a new setting that needs to be changed? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it is opening a new file with completely different dimensions.

By @skottieo

Hi

This is a known bug and the engineers are working on a fix. There are several workarounds. One is to select another preset, such as "Default", then click back on the preset for "Clipboard".

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Function that worked for 25 years now just is buggy and unusable, Adobe you need to FIX this ASAP.

Photoshop 23.2.2 on MacOS 12.3

But this is affecting all my rigs, Macs and PCs alike!

It used to be that when you copied something on a layer (CTRL+C or CMD+C), and CTRL/CMD+N (New file) the resolution of the new document would Automatically match the resolution of what was copied. This doesn't work AT ALL anymore. Now there is a clipboard icon matching this resolution (first of all, this new change of behavior is wrong, second, it doesn't work), but clickling that doesn't set it to the right resolution and Photoshop will create the document with whatever last values were used no matter what you clik on the left panel. This is the most BASIC of BASIC of functions and it's broken now. 

Please fix this, preferrably for yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When copying an image to the clipboard, the 'new image' dialog shows the right size in the selected 'tile', but when creating the new image, the size is wrong. You need to CLICK the tile to get the size right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac, works exactly as it always has; the pasted data is the same resolution.

Do you have preferences set for "Use Legacy New Document" check box on or off? I'm using Legacy; it works just fine, give that a try if off. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate