• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crop tool moves guides

Participant ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm gonna be blunt on this one...The new 2020 crop tool is an eye sore. Why the MASSIVE handles on the edges? 
Additionally, when you have guides on an image, and try to crop to the guides, the crop tool changes to the 'move guide' tool and moves the guides instead of allowing the user to crop to the guides (which is why MANY of use use guides in the first place). 
Why can't the move tool be the only tool that moves the guides. Why did that functionality get added to the crop tool as well? 
Holy frustrations batman!  Now i have to use the crop tool in elsewhere, and then move it to snap to the guides.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020
This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate
19 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this today. Why muck up a perfectly good system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had the time to beta test more often... i can't believe this stuff gets released like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have complained and I think it was said it may be revised. For the guides... you could lock them.
I keep on using Classic mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classic mode? How does one use 'classic mode' in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s in the Gear at the top of the tool preferences bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but...I can't find what you are mentioning. I opened photoshop (I have the 20 version) and there's no gear on the top line of options. I opened 'edit' and went to preferences and to 'tools' and still didn't find any mention of a classic option. I looked at the palate of tools which I keep on the left side of my screen (move, marque, lasso, etc) and there's no gear icon there or option that I see for a 'classic' mode. I clicked on the crop tool and still don't see what you are mentioning.  Um...help.... I have figured out how to use the crop tool as it is now but it's a bit of a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the crop tool, then look under the gear icon. When you make a Classic crop, you can still use the move tool or cursors & stuff to slide the pic around inside the crop (unless you threw away what you cropped -- see trash icon). Newer method is a bit disorienting to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh... found it ...a second top bar just beneath the one with file, edit, image, etc.  Sure enough, there's a gear icon (when you select the crop tool) and within this is the option to use 'classic.' Thanks all....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...that's it. Thanks for the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've logged an issue for the engineering team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to let folks know that I have a fix for this bug in the pipeline. Thank you very much for pointing it out and I apologize for the inconvenience.

We were trying to prevent an unwanted on-canvas auto-commit from happening when the user was really trying to click on a Guide to move it. Obviously we also made it harder to execute a Crop using Guides as a starting point.

With the fix you will need to hold the command modifier key down to move a Guide. This is as it was before, and it will restore the user experience you are missing.

In addition, if you have started a Crop and not committed it yet, and you attempt to grab a Guide far from the Crop handles (in what would normally be the "auto-commit click zone"), we still will not auto-commit the Crop, and instead will allow you to move the Guide. You should be able to see what will happen if you click by watching the cursor shape as you hold down modifier keys and move the mouse over various control points.

This change is currently being tested (with extra focus based on this feedback) and should be in an upcoming release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the crop tool in the classic mode, and crop from the center out, using the option key during the crop. Yes, the guides have to be locked in order for the crop tool not to move the guides, which is a pain. However, even with the guides locked, the final crop does not align with the guides, I guess because they are locked. (Which is the only way I can crop from the center without moving the guides) After the crop,  it is difficult to tell if my crop was precise or not because the guides don't move with the crop. This is a constant work around, having to create boxes for "cropping guides" because the actual guides can't be used as guides on their own See attachments before and after crop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This should bi fixed, since the whole purpose of guides is eradicated. One sets guides for cropping points and not to be moved when hovering over them. Let's do ist like with the selection tool - when I hold down CMD I can move the guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great - It is fixed since the last Update!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it. You are trying to standardize image sizes by eliminating the crop tool. Please do this all at once rather than making it progressively more difficult to find. This will save time and frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you find an answer to this?  Version 25.4.0 the guides won't stay locked when I try to crop.  I open each file, set the guides, lock them, and they STILL move when I trying to maintain a crop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate