• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS6 - problem with scanning after upgrading to Mountain Lion (MacOS 10.8)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

After upgrading to latest version of Mountain Lion i've got a problem with scanning directly into Photoshop CS6.

on the previous Lion version when I wanted to scan something, i just opened Photoshop -> File -> Import -> images from device
then a new window opened up where I could choose the device I wanted to use, and then I selected the scanner (Canon CanoScan 8400F) and I could scan directly into photoshop.

Now with Mountain Lion when I do the exact same thing, it opens a window, but it's impossible to select any device, as the new window is just a plain white window, with 2 buttons on top to rotate something that isn't there.

hope someone can help me out, I can scan the normal way and then save that picture and open it in Photoshop, but it has worked before, so am I doing something wrong? or is this just a little bug

thnx in advance for the help

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012
Hi again,

Working with Apple engineers, we have identified the root problem of why the dialog appears blank when running Photoshop CS6 in Mountain Lion. Unfortunately, the fix for this is outside our control, so I cannot provide any information on when this may be fixed. I am still investigating possible workarounds, but at this point I am frustrated by this the same as everyone here is. I believe this will be fixed in the near future, but cannot promise anything.

To Alba: One possible solutio...

Votes

Translate

Translate
48 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if that's Apple's window or your scanner driver's.

But that isn't part of the Photoshop code.

Can you scan from Apple's ImageCapture app? And when does it show a window that looks like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnx for the reply

I'm a dutch user so the text in the picture is in dutch too, sorry for that.
This window appears in Photoshop when I want to import from the scanner.

I can use Apple's ImageCapture app in a normal way.
with the old version of Lion when I wanted to import from the scanner from within Photoshop it gave me the ImageCapture app to scan directly into Photoshop.
now after the upgrade when I want to scan something I do it the same way I did before but now I get this window and can do nothing with it.

that's why I'm asking this question with perhaps tips I can trie to get it working again

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, that's not a Photoshop window - it's some part of ImageCapture or your scanner driver.

You probably need to talk to Canon to troubleshoot why the scanner is not entirely working in MacOS 10.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnx again for u're fast respons, will try to talk to canon (or apple)

I think it's just strange that my scanner works perfect with the ImageCapture app in Mountain Lion.
Photoshop CS6 used the ImageCapture app to scan with the same scanner perfectly in Lion.
and now after upgrading something goes wrong when trying to scan only in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple's code changed in 10.8, and Canon's drivers may have been updated as well.
I also find it strange that ImageCapture works stand alone, but don't know exactly how Apple's code and Canon's interact with a host application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnx again, when the problem is solved i will try to let you know what solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem - updated Canon drivers didn't help

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2012 Aug 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem but with an Epson scanner. Worked fine on Mac Lion, soon as I switched to Mountain Lion. Does not show up at all. Now have to open ImageCapture and do it in there and open up individually in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

put my question in the apple forum too, but no replies there, so still waiting

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with an Epson Artisan 837 All-in-One. Scanner no longer shows up in Photoshop CS6 (I get the same empty window you got). ImageCapture, Preview, and Epson's Epson Scan App all work but Not Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am the engineer who implemented the ImageKit scanning feature in Photoshop CS6. I will look into the problem, at this point I don't have a guess as to what may be causing this, but from the sound of the comments here, it appears there is some sort of problem with Mountain Lion that I need to investigate.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, and I will keep you posted about what I find.

Best regards,

Paul Ferguson
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul, thanks a bunch for looking into this! Yes, it definitely seems tied to my upgrade to Mountain Lion. Thanks and take care!
Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good news. Thanks for looking into it. Yeah I second Scott's comments, it's definitely tied into Mountain Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

many thnx for looking into it.
dunno it the same problem exist in other photo editing software, other than supplied by Apple, in Moutain Lion, cause I only use Photoshop.

I will read if or when there's a solution for this problem.

keep up the good work

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on Epson 10000xL scanner as well as Canon Lide 210 scanner. I tried both and I only get blank scanning screen. I updated driver of both and I'm still getting the blank screen. It's frustrating :(.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on Epson 10000xL scanner as well as Canon Lide 210 scanner. I tried both and I only get blank scanning screen. I updated drivers for both and I'm still getting the blank screen. It's frustrating :(. Thanks for looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely is a problem with Mountain Lion. I just upgraded and Image Capture is no longer able to find my scanner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Epson Perfection V500 scanner. Works ok in Photoshop CS5 when running in 32 bit mode, but not 64 bit. Wont run in Photoshop CS6 which is a 64 bit programme. Adobe say its an Epson problem. Epson say its an Adobe problem...... I too have upgraded to Mountain Lion.
Its nice to know someone is actually persuing this. Thank you.

Alikins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hilda,

In Photoshop CS5, the only way to scan was to use the TWAIN plugin. As you correctly described, you have to run CS5 in 32-bit mode because your scanner's TWAIN driver is 32-bit only. To my knowledge, Epson has not released a 64-bit TWAIN driver for the Perfection V500; the current TWAIN driver I downloaded from their web site only has 32-bit PPC and Intel code in it (it is described as "Universal", but in this context, it uses the old, pre 64-bit meaning of the word "Universal", which does not mean it is 64-bit compatible).

So the issue with not seeing your scanner in CS5 (in 64-bit mode) or CS6 (at all) is because Epson has not updated their TWAIN drivers for 64-bit mode. There's nothing Adobe can do to fix this, it is solely Epson's decision whether or when to upgrade their TWAIN drivers to 64-bit.

In Photoshop CS6, we added an alternate way to scan, accessible through the File > Import > Images from Device... menu, which is the subject of this thread. As the messages above indicate, there are problems with the Import Images from Device dialog in Photoshop CS6 under Mountain Lion, making the feature unusable. This problem is not specific to any particular brand or model of scanner, it is independent of that.

Since I last posted on this thread, we are making headway in identifying and resolving this issue. I can't say much more about it than that at this point, but I do want to assure everyone this is a high priority issue for us, and as soon as I have more information to share, I will do so. We appreciate your patience, and I apologize for the inconvenience it may cause.

Best regards,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been scanning the net for information about all this, to no avail. This is as close to real discussion as I've found. I'm running 5 in 32 bit mode - I have precious ancient photos to scan into a massive project - and TWAIN does a great job with it. But for other reasons, I need to upgrade my OS to Lion. Adobe told me that Lion was fine with Twain, that I could still use it - and from this discussion, I see that this is true. But ML, no. Tonight, desperate, I decided to run a scan with Twain and compare it to a scan done with Image Capture (I'm on Snow Leopard), because the only thing I've read people saying on line is that you're just going to have to use Image Capture from now on. HOLY CATS. When I put the two scans together, I gotta tell you - Image Capture is AWFUL. The scan was dark, dreary and anything but sharp. And both were set to 300 DPI - but the Image Capture scan was bumpy and I had to magnify it by more than 50% to achieve the same frame fill. Paul - PLEASE make this work. I have SO much important graphic and photographic work to do over the next several years. I cannot do it with a sloppy tool like Image Capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to all the problems above, I can no longer scan at more than 600 dpi, using the scanner independently of PS6. I also have ML OS. This is a real problem, since I need 800 dpi documents for press/printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even reading Paul's mention that the problem is not w/particular scanner brands, can you tell me if there is a scanner model that does work with ML, allowing PS6 to access & scan at high resolutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that, you'll have to talk to Apple and your scanner vendor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested to know this as Epson told me there was no scanner for 64 bit mode operation and they had no plans to update any of their drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Im doing is scanning in Photoshop CS5 in 32 bit mode . I have Mountain Liion and CS6, and although cannot find a scanner that will run in 64 bit mode, for CS6, continue to scan in CS5 32 bit for my photo restoration work. Not ideal but works while we are waiting for scanner manufacturers and Adobe to work this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate