• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS6 Slow compared to CS5.1 with large files

Contributor ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS CS6 has a lot of enhancements and great features. it launches very fast, and the control is very responsive and smooth.

although i am experiencing some speed issues with very large files. compared to CS5.1, where i don't have any of these issues.

the files are PSBs, 9000x8000px, 80+layers, RGB, 8bit

i have the same performance settings for both, cs6 and cs5
i am working on MAC PRO, 16GB ram, SSD scratch, 2TB raid, Radeon HD 5770, Snow Leopard.

the main issues i have are:

- no refresh when i move the curve on adjustment layer. the refresh comes after i let go.
- jagged pan
- extremely slow moving of layers and layer groups, even if they are with smaller dimensions (800x400pix)

again, working with files with less layers or smaller dimensions is very fast.

thanks for your help and support!
m.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015
Fixed in CS6 13.0.1 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 405 Replies 405
405 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, I haven't seen it that slow, even with bad fonts.

I bet you have font previews enabled...
(they can spin in the background, retrying some corrupt fonts)

Hmm, do you have any font management programs running?

Our QE might want to see if we can profile the app in the bad state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope... No font management running. And as you can see from the video, the only difference in the two files is the font. I will send you the font and see if you can find something wrong in it.

Now, How do I disable Font Preview?

What I will do is make a second video, and I will disable font preview and then remove the font all together and see what happens. At least this way, I can document it for you and maybe move forward with figuring out what some of the issues are. Now, this seems to be the problem for me. Don't know what it may be for Mac users... however, as you can see, something that I thought for sure was a Photoshop problem appears to be a font problem. I will do this later today when I have an extra moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Type menu, Font Preview Size -> None

And there still is some problem in that Photoshop or the OS are spinning on that font instead of just rejecting it as bad/corrupt. We'll have to reproduce the behavior to figure out why that's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we get an update on the fixes for the "known" issues affecting CS6? Like the layer thumbnails?

CS6 was released on May 13......that's over 3 months ago. I thought with Creative Cloud Adobe was going to be more active in patching and adding to the products.

I find it ridiculous that not even a minor point release has happened in over 3 months to the flagship product!

Seriously starting to lose faith in Adobe.......they are moving far too slow. You are getting my money every month and I expect frequent updates to address known issues.

-Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like a majority of photoshop users I am acquainted with, I was increadibly disappointed in the immediately perceivable speed issues upon 1st launching .psd CS6.

I use two machines regularly, my 2.2 desktop with 16mb ram, new Nvidia card (machine is about 5ry old, blah blah) and my late 2011 17" Macbook Pro, 16mb ram etc.

Desktop imo has always seemed faster than the laptop, and is much preferable for image editing on etc. for me due to the set up. A typical day has me swapping between the desktop and the laptop while working on the same files quite regularly.

I remember working in .psd 5 on the desktop then reopening the same file in .psd 6 after it had been recently installed.. The most notable issue for me in .psd 6 upon the desktop is moving folders with layers – the machine just lags out, I spend so much time watching the pin wheel. One the laptop this is not an issue, it is institaneous much like .psd 5 was on the desktop.

So from following the threads and from my own experiences using the new .psd 6 – is it a given or thought that .psd 6 only works well on the Mac platform with newer CPUs and not to be recommended upgrading to for older machines?

This is just very frustrating...

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the official response at the top of the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No update I can share with you yet.

But remember that MacOS 10.8 came out recently, and Win8 RTM, and we might have other things to deal with that hold up a dot release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed all my CS6 problem and Mountain Lion performance.
What i did? uninstall cs6 and back to cs 5.5.
Even my mac runs smooth, try it, you wont regret it.

Don ́t know what Cs6 did to my mac but it was so sloooooow, with any kind of files.
Now it runs perfect with the cs5.5.

Maybe ill try cs6.1 in the future or something much stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you folks who have experienced performance problems should ensure you get the 13.0.1 update as soon as possible.

Choose Help - Updates in Photoshop if you haven't already been notified of the update.

Or visit one of these links:

Macintosh: http://www.adobe.com/support/download...

Windows: http://www.adobe.com/support/download...

Good luck - I hope the problems are all fixed for you!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested laden m's "dots" image with 13.0.1 and now I find I can move the dots around with a visibly higher frame rate than with Photoshop CS5 on the same PC workstation (I'd say maybe 6 FPS vs. 4), where the speed with 13.0.0 was about the same as CS5 or maybe a hair slower before. Certainly something has been done to make the operation more efficient.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issues on Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With version... ????

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x32
Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit
Version: 5.1 Service Pack 3
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2
Physical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 2993 MHz
Built-in memory: 3697 MB
Free memory: 552 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 1717 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

PSD 1200x3400px With many layer and 15 layer comps just over 80MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.

You might want to try installing the 13.0.1 Photoshop update, made available yesterday, and please report back whether it makes a difference in what you're seeing.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated:
Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0.1 (13.0.1 20120808.r.519 2012/08/08:21:00:00) x32
But still have same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, thanks for posting the update about the patch but I have to agree with Nachman, not seeing any noticeable improvements in performance or speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That, unfortunately, says that there must be ANOTHER issue besides the layer bounds efficiency corrections made by Chris in 13.0.1.

Let the next round of problem reporting begin!

I suggest you start a NEW THREAD with 13.0.1 specifically in the name, and describe in detail what you see, much like many of the folks did in this thread. I suggest starting a new one so that there can be NO CONFUSION that you still have a real bug, vs. the problems that are now supposedly fixed.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI, I did actually hear back from ATI.

Their advice is that if you're having possible driver problems with the latest release (Catalyst 12.8 at this moment) is to FULLY uninstall, remove, expunge, delete, wipe, erase, and nuke with prejudice all remnants of their older version driver, reverting your system back to default drivers, reboot, THEN install the new Catalyst release. I did this and found several problems to be solved.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just tried the update for mac CS6 extended. It wouldn't update: gave me an error:Adobe Extension Manager CS6 Update
Installation failed. Error Code: U44M1P7

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nudge is still painfully slow with thumbnails on in layers pallete even after 13.0.1 update.

MacOS 10.8
MacbookAir i7

https://twitter.com/eskalationdk/stat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Still experiencing jerky thumbnails.

Having said that, the update has fixed the layer dragging problem for me, which is fantastic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

layers dragging is better, but when you release them after dragging it's still several seconds of wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just updated PS to 13.0.1 and made some tests.
sadly i can see only very slight improvement.
dragging groups and layers is better but not as responsive as i'm used to it.
as example dragging the white dots from my test doc is better but the strange thing is that after i move them and let go i get a progress bar right after that???? why?
ok, i could live with this on this large document.

another thing! i was just working on a very small file (300mb).
after working a while on it, PS became extremely non-responsive and slow?
especially painting with a simple circle brush.

curves adjustment i working great now, i don't know if you done something there but this is even better than in cs5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't get a progress bar on that operation for an image that simple, unless you were running on a memory starved laptop.

I suspect you might have something else causing some slowdowns on your system - like scripts (check the Scripts Event Manager - there shouldn't be any enabled) or a third party plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can drag the "white dots" group in your document around interactively, no problem, and there's only about 1 second I have to wait before I can do another drag or whatever, but...

Nudging the "white dots" layer with an arrow key takes 45 seconds to complete and puts up a progress bar!

Funny thing is that with 13.0.1 it's actually faster and more interactive to move the layer around with the Move Tool and mouse now than with 12.0.4, but a nudge only takes 5 seconds or less in Photoshop CS5 (which is still 10x slower than a mouse-based move operation).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate