• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

P: CS6 Slow compared to CS5.1 with large files

49 Votes
Contributor ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS CS6 has a lot of enhancements and great features. it launches very fast, and the control is very responsive and smooth.

although i am experiencing some speed issues with very large files. compared to CS5.1, where i don't have any of these issues.

the files are PSBs, 9000x8000px, 80+layers, RGB, 8bit

i have the same performance settings for both, cs6 and cs5
i am working on MAC PRO, 16GB ram, SSD scratch, 2TB raid, Radeon HD 5770, Snow Leopard.

the main issues i have are:

- no refresh when i move the curve on adjustment layer. the refresh comes after i let go.
- jagged pan
- extremely slow moving of layers and layer groups, even if they are with smaller dimensions (800x400pix)

again, working with files with less layers or smaller dimensions is very fast.

thanks for your help and support!
m.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015
Fixed in CS6 13.0.1 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 405 Replies 405
405 Comments
Contributor ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am working with many advertising and fashion photographers and also in a studio with 5 other retouchers. no one except me is even thinking about switching and even trying the new PS. most of them stick to CS3 because of performance issues. the only people i know, working with CS6 are art directors doing quick small layouts. and they are very happy.

we as professionals can not afford a slowdown in our workflow. people please, photoshop is a professional tool in a first place and than a toy for hobby photographers!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, it seems this actually solved the problem for one person: http://twitpic.com/9o48fb

I tried it myself and noticed a palpable improvement, but nothing dramatic. Dragging layers is now no longer sufferable. However scrolling and moving the canvas around is still painfully slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, scratch that! After coming back to PS CS6 a second time after turning "Use Graphics Processor" off, scrolling and moving the canvas around do get a nice improvement. :)

Still a tad behind CS5, though. But at least this makes CS6 usable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moly thank you for your feedback. Does having Use Graphics Processor ON but set to basic in advanced help? Or does it only go faster when Graphics processor is OFF completely? Please remember to restart PS in between tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, running in Basic mode for "Use Graphics Processor" definitely works better than Advanced — but turning it off completely still has an advantage over even Basic mode, particularly in moving around the canvas.

Hope that helps to pinpoint the root of the problem for you guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"because of performance issues".. and yet each version of Photoshop gets faster. Gotta love those myths flying around...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That points toward your display driver as being the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, if that's the case, then is there anything I can do about that? I don't know exactly what a display driver is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Display driver == video card driver == GPU driver. Updating the driver might help, or contacting the GPU maker to work on fixing the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you account for the issue being experienced on a brand new Mac Book with no customizations done to it? It's literally 10 days old and all the settings are standard? To me it seems like a lot of the heavy users that work with large files have not yet upgraded because they're evaluating it - but those of us that have all seem to have this issue with larger files. Do we all have display driver issues? Seems like too much of a coincidence to be the user's fault(s). Plus if our display drivers were all out of date, why does CS4 and CS5 work so much faster with larger files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey chris, i am a customer and i just bought your product. i'm not trying to get a refund with this topic, i just want to help. no need to be offending here!

and yes PS is getting slower with each version. the new version only starts faster, it applies the filters faster, it saves faster, and probably you'l have better results with benchmarks.
but the usability, response, refresh, pan, moving objects is slower with each version on the same machine for me. although i made some major hardware upgrades.

and as you can see i'm not the only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moly, the way to update your drivers on mac is to update your system. if your system is up to date, than you have the latest drivers.

it was already mentioned here. strange that the employees here don't know this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking into this more I'm not convinced this is a display driver problem. If I turn off "Use Graphics Processor" I'm still getting massive delays when zooming after initially opening the file. After a 3-4 minutes the file seems to settle down and then it gets better but then it'll start beachballing again if I zoom out again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is very wrong with your system -- those things are always getting faster or staying the same speed with each release. You can contact Adobe customer support for a refund, but I'm afraid you're blaming your new car for the condition of your road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i really don't understand why are you so offensive? maybe some marketing trick?

it is obvious that this not an individual case, and as you can see from this thread "those things" are getting slower for other people too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, That is a more limited issue: just moving a bunch of layers, caused by a slowdown in drawing the thumbnails in the layers palette.

You can work around that by setting the thumbnail size to "none" in the layers palette options. We're still working on a proper fix for the thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finding ACR works well in CS6 ...... once an image is opened it is constance spinning wheel...... move image to new blank layer to add more background...... spinning wheel..... use levels or curves, spinning wheel.....

CS6 is just so slow, I have gone back to using CS 5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please vote at the top of the thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if they asked the other millons of people about performance? CS6 is heavier and we probably need faster systems.

This performance issue is normal for any program that grows up. Try running W7 in an old Pentium machine...

The problem is if you already have a fast system and the newest one...

It's a fact that CS6 is heavier, so a 100% of users should be seeing a reduction in speed depending on their system, if you have a really fast system the slowdown is probably not big enough to annoy you.

I doubt millions of users have not seen this issue since many of the people will have a bit older systems, maybe round a year old?

How can Adobe know that millions of users don't have this issue? Many of the users don't complaint, other will never see the issue because of their techniques. And I've never received a performance poll from Adobe.

How many complaints does Adobe need to aknowledge when they really have a problem? Maybe a few complaints can reflect what millions of users see?

I'm just hoping for a fast update that makes this problem a bit less annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Each new version of Photoshop requires more system resources than the last. It's never been any other way. CS6 though is of course different in that it is also seriously buggy. Both Illustrator and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Illustrator crashes on a daily basis when trying to export to PNG or TIF (depends)... I fail to see how an i5 processor and 12GB of RAM are not sufficient to run latest CS without problems. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issues on Windows 7 x64 box with 16 Gigs of DDR3 Ram and an i7 2600k @ 3.4 Ghz (8 core)...also have latest nVidia drivers with 560Ti...I personally never had great results in any previous release with 3d accelleration on (I woudl only turn it on as needed).

Although turning off previews in layer pallet made a huge difference for me...a good 50% performance boost when moving any layer or group, its still absolutely not anywhere near what i would call usable.

I think i messed up by installing CS6 on a disk rather than on an SSD. My cs5 and 5.1 was on SSD (the application part)..I think I am going to try and install it on the SSD after removing my install from the Disk drive. We'll see what happens.

As with others, this is only on larger files... I have to believe it is a caching issue of some sort. I guess I'll keep playing with it and see what happens. If not I'll reinstall CS5.1 and only use the features I wante from CS6 as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up to the above, i just uninstalled everything, made sure my computer was completely updated, rebooted and then deleted everythigna dobe adn then reinstalled application on SSD rather than Disk and reupdated software with No change whatsoever in results...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMPORTANT:

I was just working with my fresh install and I have to say the problem goes away to some degree after several minutes of working with a composition...it seems like it is progressively cache-ing the document. Try zooming all the way in and then all the way out of a document when you first open it. For me, it works quite well like it is cache-ing the entire thing...almost like in CAD when you regen once zoomed in and once zoomed out.

I dont remember this behavior on cs5.1, but now that i know how to get around it, its not a "deal killer".

Votes

Translate

Translate