• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CS6 Type Layers Changing to Odd Sizes / Not Maintaining Rounded Sizes

LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having a problem lately with type layers where they no longer increment/decrement in size in a logical manner. For example, if I select a 22px text object and change the size using the CMD+SHIFT+[PERIOD] shortcut, the text will change size not from 24px > 26px > 28px like it should, but increments in odd steps like 22px > 24.01px > 26.02px > 28.03px > 30.04px.

Also, if I select that 22px text layer and reposition it to a nearby rounded pixel-perfect XY postion, the text size of the text layer itself will change itself to something arbitrary like 23.71px.

Another reproducible bug is if I select two type layers like the ones in my example shots where one is 48px and one is 22px and I change the text size in the toolbar with them both selected to, say, 30px, both objects end up changing to 30.13px, which is not acceptable or normal behaviour.

This is extremely frustrating, as my layers are changing on me constantly and I have to constantly change them back to the intended, rounded pixel size.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014
Howdy folks,

Just so you know, this issue is fixed in the latest versions of Photoshop CS6 and Creative Cloud.

To make sure your Photoshop is up-to-date, check out http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate
19 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Greg,

A couple of quick questions:

First, was this document created in an earlier version of Photoshop, like CS4 or even a prerelease version?

Second, have you done any transforms on any of the text layers in question?

Finally, would you humor me and (assuming the previous two questions are "no") try turning off Snap under the View menu and see if that doesn't clear up your problem?

This info should help with a good starting point to figure out what's going on.

Thanks and have a nice weekend,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with type sizes changing when I use the "free transform" command and drag my type to a new position on the page.

For example, 24 pt changes to 23.89 pt.

Please note, however, that I don't actually scale the box while I'm moving it.

This is a new problem I'm having ever since switching to cs6 - I'm using the same technique for repositioning text that I've used forever (kind of on auto-pilot, I guess).

I tried turning my snap settings off, but it doesn't change the problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David.
Sorry for the delayed reply.

This document was created in Photoshop CS6 and never used outside of it
No transforms on the text layers have been applied and disabling Snap doesn't help.

This problem also seems to be cropping up at the very point of creation for some text objects. Occasionally, but for no discernible or reproducible reason, when I create a new text layer, it will start off at an odd size like 23.89px instead of 24px.

Jeanne, I'm glad I'm not alone here. Here's hoping we cam get this sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Greg,

Okay, not what I was hoping for, but let's see what we can do. Can you reproduce this problem reliably? If so, can you demonstrate it for me via a web-hosted connect session? I'll follow up with an email.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Janene,

If you could demo this problem for me, that would be great. I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue for you. I'll follow up with an email.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David:

I will post my steps here, and see if that is helpful.

1. Set Text

2. Select Free Transform (I usually do this by key-command)

3. Free Transform with Bounding Box

4. Move text block while in Free Transform mode.
Please note that the H&V percentages change, as well as the point size.
I make sure I'm moving the text from within the bounding box, not from any
of its edges.

5. Apply the move/deselect bounding box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you prefer I do this through some kind of web conference, I will try to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg and Janene!

I see and understand the problem. We'll look into this.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, David ... looking forward to the solution!

Greg ... I'm so glad I found your post ... had trouble finding a thread describing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the expected behavior, modulo some rounding errors, which is what you are seeing.

When you free transform a text layer, and all the text in that layer has the same font size, the effective font size (which is displayed in the character panel) is computed based on the type's font size multiplied by whatever vertical resizing has occurred as a result of the transform. While just changing the location of a text block shouldn't "seem" to be able to change the vertical size of the transform, Photoshop will attempt to align to pixel boundaries so that the text remains crisp, and this can often change the vertical and/or horizontal dimensions ever so slightly. That's why you see what you've shown in the screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the explanation makes sense, I never had this issue in my last version of Photoshop (cs3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS3 did not perform the pixel alignment of type layers (there may be other factors as well; I don't know offhand when we began using the effective font size I described rather than just displaying the base size.)

We are aware this results in some rather funky numbers, as this thread highlights, and we continue to look for ways to make it more natural and consistent with what people expect to see. As with all things, the devil is in the details...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your explanations ... at least I know this is expected behavior, and can be confident that this is not an issue with my software, hardware, or a combination of the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I'm not alone with this issue. Driving me bananas too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just uninstall 13.1. and download CS6 again, it will install 13.0.... after in install DO NOT update until the issue has been fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a problem for a lot of people, perhaps the expected behavior should be reconsidered. It's a major hassle for anyone in the web design industry, as we use Photoshop because it's the only design application that allows us to get pixel-perfect comps. This kind of rounding behavior makes that extremely difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna,

The problem was resolved with a patch made more than a year ago. I would suggest that you update your installed version of Photoshop CS6.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy folks,

Just so you know, this issue is fixed in the latest versions of Photoshop CS6 and Creative Cloud.

To make sure your Photoshop is up-to-date, check out http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
HI! i found this forum by googling--i am having this same problem along with a few other designers at my office, but we use creative cloud and definitely have the most recent version of photoshop. Is there anything I am missing? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate