Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Cursor gets stuck on transform handle in Photoshop 22.5.1 Windows only

14 Votes
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ESC button to drop accidential transformation doesn't get percieved by the app anymore... 

{Edited the thread title by the moderator}

Bug Started
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021
Thanks. Before I try screen shares ("Yup - happens for you, but not for me."), I've been thinking about this a bit. At this point, I'm unable to reproduce the behavior on any of my systems, either with shipping 23.0.1 or a debug build. My assumption has been this is a timing issue. Can someone who can reproduce this reliably try the following? When you click on a Shape Control Point, try a "slow click" - think MouseDown, hold down for 1/2s, then MouseUp. All at the same mouse position. Do you st...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Thanks. I've reopened the bug. One of our challenges is that we are having an extremely difficult time reproducing it. We had a specific fail case which I was able to reproduce and which I can confirm was fixed in 23.0.1. It involved Windows Events being processed between the time of the initial MouseDown and the time the Tracker started looking for MouseUp events. The MouseUp Event was processed (and ignored) before the Tracker actually started. I'll take another look, but I really need to be a...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Hi all,   We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.0.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here To update Photoshop to 23.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating     Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.     Thanks, Mohit
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021
Thanks @RosaPerry We've finally been able to repro this in-house and are actively working on it.  You're help is much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021
Hi all, We're have acknowledged this issue and logged a bug. Our engineering team investigating a fix. You can follow this discussion for the further updates on this issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-cursor-gets-stuck-on-transform-handle-in-photoshop-22-5-1-windows-only/idi-p/12343584 We really appreciate your patience with us.  Thanks, Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
74 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got same issue with the latest version, cursor just keeps sticking to transform handles. Resetting preferences doesnt solves this, i rolled back to 22.4.3 release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for taking a while to get back to this.  Work comes first.

I'm attaching a couple clips I recorded. In the "transform" clip you'll see when I single-click on the right side, the image scales with my mouse, though I'm not holding down the mouse button.  Then after that, I single-click on the bottom edge, and the layer moves with my mouse.  

In the 2nd clip (Test 2), at around 9 seconds, I click on the lower part of the right border, and the layer scales as I move my mouse (again, no dragging, just a single click).  Right after that, I click the upper part of the right border and the layer moves with my mouse.  I'm really confused about this behavior.  I don't mind reinstalling the program if needed.  I just wish it worked consistently.  There are even times when I click on the border and it turns on the free transform mode, as expected, allowing me to move my mouse around without the layer attached to it in any way.  Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As in the subject. I have to click to free the cursor for changing the resizing point or not moving whole object on artboard. How to disable this future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @chad.rolfs 

Here is my System Info  

I can verify that I am having the same problem when clicking the transform handle, it starts to resize the layer instantly, instead of double-clicking the transform box to resize. So when I click the transform handle at anytime trying to transform an object the transform sticks to the mouse instantly and usually I have to double click after the layer is transformed then go back a step to fix. Ctrl + T doesn't do the sticky thing.

I agree with @Daria5EAB        

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the boundy box and the conversion will stick to your mouse.

In addition, the transformation cannot be confirmed with the enter key.
(Click to confirm the transformation)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to replicate that here on Windows 22.5.1. in Windows 10 v21H1 and using an NVidia RTX3090 GPU

Can you confirm your exact system details, and Photoshop version (in Photoshop use Help>System info) along with the exact steps to reproduce it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Version of the App) Adobe Photoshop 2021 - Version 22.5.1

(Platform and OS version) Desktop PC with Windows 10

(Problem)
When I click (press and release button) on bounding box corner of smart object, photoshop sometimes misses the release part of my mouse click. Consequence of this is that it is stuck in resize mode even when i am not holding the mouse button down. To get out of this mode I need to right click first (but then the object is already resized because I moved my mouse).
I tested this with two different mice and it happens very often, on 10 clicks about 5 are faulty.
What I also noticed is that if I click and hold for a second and then release the problem is gone.
This behavior started sometimes in last month.

(Expected behaviour)

Click on bounding box of object should select that object and not resize.

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @RosaPerry however that link doesn't work for me, just takes me to my cloud assets.  Can you possibly attach it here like Daria did?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that @chad.rolfs

Please find attached my Photoshop System Info. 

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the bounding box issue. Do you mind if you could share some screenshot of the problem or a video? If it would be easy to reproduce the problem at our end and log a bug. 

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mohit,

Here is the link to video capture of this problem (I added mouse and keyboard input overlay so you can see when I press and release mouse buttons and my keyboard strokes):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pzj3OXVR1c1Arc-HpjAIAwetpohSt7nd/view?usp=sharing

First two tries are when photoshop seemingly does not register mouse up event. Second two tries are when I long-press the bounding box corner and the problem does not occur.

Thank you for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sane issue here. I have Adobe set to Skip transform when placing. When I double click an item to transform, the cursor sticks to the item, forcing a size transformation. This is especially annoying when all I wanted to do was move the item on the canvas, not change it's size. The cursor stickies on the item, forcing a transform until I can esc out. 

I tried the troubleshooting steps listed above. Here is my system info. 

I will try going backwards a version in the meantime. This is a very frustrating error with a lot of ctrl+Z being required. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @simons52710075 for sharing the video of the problem. Let me share the same with our product team.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Daria5EAB  What additional software are you using, specifically the software that shows the mouse in your recording? If you disable that and/or other programs that are running, does that resolve the issue? 

Here are a few other things to try:

Launch Photoshop while holding down the Shift key to disable optional and 3rd party plugins.  Let me know if it still occurs in that instance.

Could you maybe try to start in OS Safe Mode and let me know if it still occurs?  
Links to starting in Safe Mode are list on this page (4th item from the bottom): 
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned previously, I've done all this and I'm still encountering sticky transform handles. This situation for me started 3 PS updates ago. 

As you can see by many users here, have reported the same issue. Users have reported this on reddit as well. This issue seems prevelant with Windows 10 users.

I think this would be highly unusual with many having problems with sticky transform handles caused by additional software, even with preferences etc. I noticed this behaviour with Sticky Transform Handles 3 PS updates ago. I just assumed that this would have been fixed by now.

Just to advise, I've been using Photoshop for 21 years so I do know my way around the software. If I've never been able to solve an issue, I've always reported the issue and most times, it turns out to be a bug. Unfortunately my history of helping others in the other Adobe Support Forums, did not follow on to this new Adobe Support Community.

I've had no changes to my System, other than Window Updates, which my PC is up to date.
I've not installed any new software.
I've not installed any new plugins in Photoshop. All my plugins have been in Photoshop for years.

I did re-attach my system info as you requested but had no acknowledgement as yet, so I will repost my system info again. 

My system info also has a wrong Ram allocation, which an Adobe employee says it's a bug and will be addressed in a future PS update. Still waiting. . . . this has been an issue for probably as long as the Sticky Transform Handles.

In my opinion, this Sticky Transform Handle issue is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this. I tried rolling back, but I still have the same issue. It's been a problem for awhile, I can't remember how many updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for the cursor issue while using transform tool in Photoshop. We have logged this issue as a bug and our engineering team investigating a fix.

Thanks,

Mohit

Bug Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're have acknowledged this issue and logged a bug. Our engineering team investigating a fix. You can follow this discussion for the further updates on this issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-cursor-gets-stuck-on-transform-handle-in-p...

We really appreciate your patience with us. 

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @RosaPerry We've finally been able to repro this in-house and are actively working on it.  You're help is much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everybody with this issue, try holding down mouse button for a second and then release when you select transform handle. For me when I do that, the bug never occurs. I know it is not ideal but still better than undoing.
I hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This exact thing is happening to me... It is really annoying... Any Ideas how to fix this? Is it a new feature or a Bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it appears to be a BUG because I have installed previous verion of PS 22.4.3 and it works fine there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I have PS installed on another PC, version 22.5.1, and it seems to be working as expected.  I can't explain why.  I'll be installing it on a couple more PCs at work soon and I'll check those also to see if the same issue crops up.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines