• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Dc:description field stripped by SFW using "All Except Camera Info"

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I export JPEG images from retouched RAW files, using Save for Web. Metadata is set to "All Except Camera Info."

Before retouching, I add extensive metadata to the RAW files, including text to the dc:description field. Unfortunately, that one field is stripped out during SFW export. As far as I can tell, no other metadata is stripped from dc namespace.

Please do not tell me to use Export or Save As. Any such answer is off-topic and not helpful. I just want to report this bug (assuming it won't be fixed, though.)

Photoshop 22.5.1, Windows 10 Pro.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting. I helped develop this feature (metadata preservation/removal options) in Save for Web years ago with some help/input from Peter Krogh and some folks from ASMP. I'll see what we can do.

Would you use this feature if it were consistently implemented across the app in Export As or Save As/Save a Copy, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would LOVE to see Export fleshed out. My workflow is:

Capture RAW files from tethered camera with Canon Utility

Rename and add metadata (copyright, owner, keywords, description) in Bridge

Copy from capture computer to processing workstation

Batch edit in ACR with Color Checker profiles

Open into Photoshop and retouch/composite as needed

SFW to full-resolution JPEGs (I do not keep finished PSDs for most images.)

Run Bridge scripts to generate lower-resolution copies, Batch Rename using various conventions depending on usage

Further retouching of some low-res images to add descriptive text

Copy to distribution folders in Bridge

Sync RAW files and finished images to various servers/backup with FreeFileSync.

I use SFW to create my final, full-resolution JPEGs because of the feature set compared to Export or Save As, but a modern replacement would be great. These are product photos so it is less about artistic editing and more about image processing. I have written numerous scripts (Bridge, Photoshop, Excel, and Powershell) so making all features scriptable would be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from adding more Metadata controls to Export As, are there other features you'd like to see moved from Save for Web?

Also, Export As offers options to generate lower-resolution copies. It does have these limits: scaling from the existing dimensions (multiples or fractions), up to 9 different scales at a time, and renaming by adding a (customizable) suffix to the existing name. Would you need this to be upgraded/changed to replace the scripting you are doing in Bridge or is what you are doing possible within these capabilities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I like SFW mostly as-is except always wanted an option to disable building a preview.

-Metadata options

-Ability to change output resoltuino

-Presets

-Convert to sRGB

-embed color profile

-0 to 100 quality scale

-multi-format support (JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP, HEIC, SVG, PDF) should all be included

-fix the bugs like PNG resolution

-granular metadata choices would be nice

-better performance

-scripting support via the DOM

-post-flight scripting support

I personally don't use slices, preview in browser, or animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate