• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Decoupling the presetted "usual" brush size from OS operating aids (macOS) [2016]

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Photoshop 23.3.1 (and older!)

2. Mac OS 12.3.1 (and older!)

3. The Setting for brush size is put to "usual",

• means the diameter of that temporary circle should be exactly the same as the brushstroke, independent of the selected hardness
  • Due to a large monitor, a slightly enlarged view of the mouse pointer can be helpful to some users.
    Thanks to the Mac OS operating aids, you can customise this individually.

4. Now the size of the brushstroke and the diameter of that surrounded circle in Photoshop doesn't match any more.

• While the operating aids of Mac OS display a larger image of the mouse pointer in a fixed solution, the brushstroke in Photoshop is variable and proportional to the zoom factor of the picture.
  • Unfortunatelly the OS operation aid zoom for the mouse pointer influences the diameter of that circle, too.
  • In this case it ist not possible to adjust the position of the brushstroke exactly, that's a pitty.

5. The best would be, if you can set the Ps brushsize decoupled from the OS operating aids. (Maybe a checkbox at that section, which allows you to de-/activate a professional view)

Thanks for listening. Best Frank

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

@marc21867922j5d2 

I had this issue for several years and versions and found out through these forums that the problem was that I had changed my cursor size in System Prefs > Accessibility > Display. Setting the size to Normal fixed the Brush size issue in Photoshop. Can you try that?

https://www.howtogeek.com/317969/how-to-make-the-mouse-cursor-bigger-or-smaller-on-your-mac/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Incorrect Brush size: On macOS, the painted result is smaller than the brush cursor size you see on screen, determine if you have an increased Cursor Size specified in your System Preferences: Accessibility > Display settings

Make sure it's set to "Normal"

cursorsize-accessibility.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Are you using a mac os?

If you are, it's probably that the system cursor size is set to something other than Normal.

Go to System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and set the Cursor size to Normal

cursor.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
97 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All affected users should VOTE on top!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY! Crazy that this setting exists as a default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Halleyloo! This forum saved my sanity!! My brush wasn't set to normal under System Prefs > Accessibility > Display. I never would have found figured this out on my own. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant. That fixed it. I'd forgotten that it started doing it after I'd changed those accessibility settings... Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm glad your problem is solved. If you need help in the future, please contact us 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Brush Settings, check scattering is all the way down.  That's what solved it for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot c.pfaffenbichler

I had the same issue and it fixed by your solution! God bless you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed photoshop on my macbook. And now I have this problem with all the tools. The cursor boundary does not match the actual tool footprint. I have uploaded an example stamp and brush. 
I tried to solve the problem through preference, I deleted and reinstalled all adobe programs, this does not solve my problemСнимок экрана 2022-10-19 в 14.52.58.pngСнимок экрана 2022-10-19 в 14.53.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Natalie Pometun wrote:

"The cursor boundary does not match the actual tool footprint"

Did you try this:

Apple menu > System Prefs > Accessibility > Display > Set the size to Normal.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too, on a MAC, and neither of the "correct answers" shown here has worked for me.  I still can't get the target circle to coincide with the painted result, which is about 50% smaller.  Why can't I find some Photoshop operation to fix this-- or any other solution? 

Regards, salutes,

ns@nathansilver.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nathens,

What version of macOS and photoshop are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saving my sanity!

I had changed the cursor size inSystem Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Pointer > Pointer Size for a screen sharing presentation the other day, and forgot to change it back.

Incidentally, in my version of MacOS (Monterey 12.6.3), the specific section of System Preferences now looks like this, and it seems they've changed the word "Cursor" to "Pointer" (although this may be dependent on your MacOS language settings; mine is just 'English'). Just typing it out here to help anyone doing a search on this page.

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 14.22.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thank you for that.

Apple has changed the whole Settings menu in macOS Venteura 13.xxx

curs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa, that's a rather major change! 😮

Let's see if I make it to Ventura; I'm on a hackintosh and only just managed to update to Monterey last week after 7 straight years on High Sierra 😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT was it! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, changing the pointer size in system settings fixed the brush size problem. However, I have been using a large pointer size for years and did not have the brush size problem in Photoshop until it appeared today. This was true on my old Imac with several OS versions and on my new Mac Studio M1 and Ventura. I did not knowingly change any settings or software versions when the problem appeared. I am now peeved that I have to be stuck with a small pointer but there must be another solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for a freaking year. I wish I could buy you a coffee... FML it's finally over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that a simple "Use operating system pointer size for brush sizes" or "Ignore system pointer size for brushes" setting would be ideal for solving this remarkably stupid "feature". Preferably the former solution, or just turn it off completely; the amount of people who actually want this behavior could easily be zero. Who needs this?

Operating systems give users the ability to change pointer sizes for a reason, like when a user is visually impaired. That doesn't mean that the user should have to have their brushes not function; Photoshop has a feature that lets you see how big the brush you are using is, if you want that. At the bare minimum, that visual indication should scale with the system pointer scale, exactly like the brush currently does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue too. The brush looks much bigger than what it actually puts on the page. Chosen brush size in the below image is indicated by the white circle, but it only paints the black circle. I've checked all the prefs and everything seems to be as it should. Any ideas?

brush.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many many thanks!  This cursor issue was driving me nuts!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Accessibilty options are there for a reason - to provide accessibility for users who want a larger cursor for everyday uses. This is clearly a bug on Adobe's part to use the actual brush outline size regardless of the OS setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate