• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Duplicate Layer to new document not working correctly

LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When "Duplicate Layer..." is attempted of a Solid Color fill layer to a new document, the result is a new document that does not include the Solid Color fill layer with the original Layer Mask, but instead is a flat document. If a new Solid Color fill layer with mask is made but NOT renamed from the default, the function works correctly.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019
I've logged a problem report for our engineers to investigate. Thanks for reporting! The video was helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried reproducing, but it's working as expected for me. Could you detail the steps more clearly and which version of Ps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached a video capture. I'm on PS 20.0.1 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). Previously it would work if I didn't rename the layer but this video shows that it didn't even work with the default layer name. A coworker replicated the bug on a newer MacBook Pro, also PS 20.0.1.
I'm also having odd behavior with the lasso tool not showing the tracing as well as the transform not showing the edges. I was able to get them to show properly after several adjustments to the Graphics Processor Settings, but both of these problems are clearly bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thanks for doing that. I can repro now and definitely a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've logged a problem report for our engineers to investigate. Thanks for reporting! The video was helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've come across this too lately, and it seems to happen only if the layer being duplicated is the LAST layer in the file (any layer type- color layer, smart object, etc.), and only that layer is selected.

If the layer selected is not the last layer, or if another layer is selected along with the last layer, it works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the status on this if it's been so long? I'm sure it was last working properly months ago, not years ago. Is this a duplicate of the bug where new document from clipboard defaults to a new document with white background?
I can confirm this still happens. A Color Fill Layer, regardless of the color it is, when duplicated to a new document, always turns into a locked, white, background layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just tested this in 21.1.3, using the workflow in the video above and everything works as expected. 
Which version of Ps are you testing with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, whoops! Looks like i needed to add another layer above the color fill, then the bug appears. I'll make sure to remind Jeff that this is still buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh, I just saw the video and it seems like it's a lot of extra steps.
All it takes is from a new document, making a Color Fill layer and duplicating that to a new document duplicates it as a flattened background. However, it kept the color. When I posted previously, it was turning it white. But I'm not sure now what causes that. I am also on 21.1.3. Windows, if that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate