I'm having issues duplicating a group of smart objects to a different document; when I do the links break and I am no longer able to edit one and have the changes made to all instances of the smart object. I only seem to have this problem in the latest version of Photoshop CC. On my laptop at home, I have CC but an older version, and it works on that, and a friend tried it on CS4 and it worked for him, and it also works fine in CS6 when I tried it on there.
1. Create a new document (Doc A) in version 14.2.1 of Photoshop CC.
2. Make a rectangle object and convert to a smart object.
3. Duplicate this smart object a couple times and make sure you can see them all. Now you should be able to double click to edit and make a change to one of these objects and have it change across all instances (change the color or something).
4. Create a new document (Doc B).
5. Duplicate the smart objects from "Doc A" to "Doc B".
6. Editing the smart object in the same way no longer makes the change across the other instances of the smart object.
7. Try this same process in CS6 if you want, and see that after duplicating the smart objects to the new document, you can still edit one and have it change the others as well.
Very inconvenient.. I have to use CS6 for now until this is fixed, as this function is essential for some templates I created for photoshop with smart objects in them. Please let me know if anyone else can confirm this! Thanks!