• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export Assets scaled output (@2x etc.) is NOT generated from Smart Object data in PS 2015.1

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the whole point of the Generate Assets feature was the multi-resolution output, but apparently the only input data the exporter makes use of is the layer’s raster data, and not the original resolution of a linked or embedded smart object, thus making any upscaling from a 1x version unfeasible.

This way the ‘retina’ versions of the image are simply created as blurry memory-intensive pixel-bloats of the original size, which is nothing anyone could want 😞

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

I am reopening for the engineering team.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it does work, but it depends on the type of Smart Object!

For example it works with vector smart objects (as long as you're exporting as JPEG, PNG, or GIF) and Smart Objects that are not made from JPEGs. I came here to report the bug for JPEG Smart Objects. If you place a JPEG in as a Smart Object, the 200% scale to make a @2X does not work properly (it's a blurry scaled up @1x). However if the file you placed as a Smart Object had been a PSD, it would have worked fine. Clearly there's a bug with JPEG Smart Objects.

Secondly, it would be awesome if the SVG export could read the vector data from a vector Smart Object, but sadly it does not. 

(This is still true in Photoshop 2015.5)

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Dan. I did some more digging myself, and just as you stated, the feature works as expected for PSD and PSB files only. Any other file type (PNG, JPEG, TIFF) will yield the useless blurry result.

Now it’s definitely a feasible workaround to convert all files to PSD/PSB before placing them as smart objects. But given the extra work and the excessive waste of disk space resulting from that approach, I would REALLY LOVE to have this feature working for other (compressed) file types as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. I work on a Retina display, so I work in @2X Photoshop files which don't have this issue. I export @2X without scaling (they are the current size), and I scale down 50% to 1x. This works around this bug, but I still think it should be fixed.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed in 22.4 or later.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not fixed I have newest version and still have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am reopening for the engineering team.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allso still have the same problems with high res PNGs placed as smart object in a small artboard (like for icons), and when exportet to x2 and x3 they are blury. Will use PSD workaround but seems verry convoluted. The whole point of smart objects are lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came to "me too" this issue as well. It seems this bug is still around, even with the new Export interface. It's definitely down to the type of Smart Object. If I drag and drop a file into a document and let it convert to a Smart Object, that Smart Object will not pull from the source if the export requires a larger size. Not the case for a Smart Object created within Photoshop, say, if I open the image first, convert it to a Smart Object, then copy it over to my current document. Not an ideal workaround, but it is a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with Adobe Photoshop 2022. I have multiple smart objects, some of them which are .psd smart objects, those convert perfectly, but .png does not. Also in an export preview window, I can see the difference already from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still present, according to our team's testing. We just discovered that it has been affecting production for months, if not years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also bumping this up, smart objects of embedded high-res raster images still do not accurately scale up during export. Photoshop 24.0.0 (2023), Export As v.5.8.15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Nearly 7 years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm in version 24.1.0 this is still an issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still broken! Absolutely pathetic support! It means the asset exporter is basically useless as all my objects are offset incorrectly when I ask them to be 0.5 of the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all my objects are offset incorrectly when I ask them to be 0.5 of the size.

@LOGAlex Would you mind expanding on this? I haven't encountered this specific issue but would like to document it. It's alarming that the flaws of the Export modal continue to grow after 7 years of neglect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed, really terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you so much! Hello from 2024 where this problem STILL hasn't been fixed!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please reopen it again — this still has not been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate