• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export Layers To Files unpredictably exporting first layer as a blank, white image

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System: OSX 10.11.6 Photoshop 2017.0.1

About half the time I use Export Layers to Files it is exporting a solid white image for the first layer. I can put a different layer in it's place and it *might* export fine. I'd never seen this happen before updating to Photoshop 2017. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017
Correct. The issue reported by Brian was fixed in CC 2017.1. Sorry I missed updating this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
16 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not what you want to hear, but so far, with a few various files, including files with first layers that have transparency, the only "blank" white layers I'm able to come up with are adjustment layers. Can you take a screen shot of your Layers panel for one of the files this has happened with so we can see if there's a difference in setup?

Note, my layers do get named top down. For instance, at the top of 4 layers I have a Channel Mixer layer. That one is named Prefix 0000 (and shows up as the "first" layer), with the next one down Prefix 0001, etc. So the "first" layer is a solid white layer. Perhaps that's what you're seeing? I'm hesitant to think so because you said putting a different layer in the first layer's place "might export fine." The order wouldn't account for a white substitute for the base layer from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the slow reply, but exporting layers to files is something that I only do for Portfolio updates, so this got back-burnered.

Here's 3 screenshots. I've literally only swapped the positions of the first and second layers, and for some reason the first output has a blank image and the second output does not.

http://imgur.com/a/gCZHD

Also, ignore the text in the "File Name Prefix" field. I always blank that out, but for some reason I took the screenshot before I did. (I wish there was a preference to set it to blank by default)

It's not critical, but if I forget about this bug and close a prep'd stack it's a bit annoying to redo things for 1 image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me exactly as you describe, Brian. Only started after I updated to CC 2017. I've Googled all I can Google, and this is the only similar problem I can find. I'll post an update if I find one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far the best workaround I've found is to create an action that
  1. duplicates the top layer
  2. turns the duplicate layer off
  3. runs the "export layers to files" script excluding non-visible layers
  4. deletes the duplicate layer
This seems to be working for me. It's a little extra work the first time, but once you have that action saved it's just a one button task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a known issue that will be fixed in an upcoming release. The problem is reproducible when the top layer is selected. A simple workaround is to select any layer other than the top layer in the layer stack. Give that a shot and see if that resolves the problem for you. 

Thanks for the report!

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, knowing that will help a lot til the bug gets fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug seems to be fixed in the 2017.1.0 release (current Mac version as of now)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when exporting as layers, the export dialog doesnt remember your last save location, and it imposes a numbering sequence regardless of whether you want it. I can liive with those features, but here's the question I hope someone can help me with. If one of the layers has had a move command applied, the new file from that layer is created with WHITE fill. Does anyone know if I can change a setting to make it BLACK fill? I expected that I could control the fill colour by setting the background colour. Maybe I missed something, thanks. Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. The issue reported by Brian was fixed in CC 2017.1. Sorry I missed updating this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malcolm, this sounds like a different issue. What is your output format? Can you start a new topic with Step to Reproduce and possibly a source PSD with the steps to repro. That would help us track it down the quickest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bug is not fixed, running latest updated CC on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help > System Info... and copy/paste the text in a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting layers to files I only get white/blank files. What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Photoshop up to date? (19.1.3)

Are you using File > Export > Layers to Files... or another method?

What file format are you exporting to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it's not fixed I'm having this issue right now

Votes

Translate