• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: File extension (ex. jpg) not changing during format change after upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina

LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 20.0.6 file extension (ex .jpg) not changing during format change on macos Catalina.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019
Update to Photoshop 20.0.7. The file extension is now hidden by default but will automatically match the format selected in the Format pop-up.

Additional details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#FixedIssues

If you've accidentally saved a file with the wrong extension, see this document for how to determine the true file type and rename it: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/determine-the-file-type-of-a-document.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
64 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are aware of the problem and are working on it, but it apparently is not that easy to resolve.  Who would have predicted that updating to Catalina would knock out that feature?  Have patience and I'm sure they will resolve the issue as soon as they can get to the root of the problem.  HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is resolved with the update that was released today. Force ‘check for updates’ in the CC app if you do not see that update.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to Photoshop 20.0.7. The file extension is now hidden by default but will automatically match the format selected in the Format pop-up.

Additional details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#FixedIssues

If you've accidentally saved a file with the wrong extension, see this document for how to determine the true file type and rename it: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/determine-the-file-type-of-a-document.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know what to tell you but there was an update for me, I manually checked it (I don't have automatic updates activated). So I updated Photoshop 7 hours ago and the update resolved this issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there was an update for Photoshop this morning...I have automatic updates checked, but I went in and looked for it and updated manually.  I don't know yet if the update has solved the problems, but I assume that it will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad they were so responsive to this issue. After only a couple of days, it was a serious hassle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it has taken two weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update Photoshop. It's been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so confused as to what to do even after reading all of your comments and suggestions. Maybe I make more work for myself by doing it this way but its just the way I have saved files since the beginning. I create 3 different folders within a clients raw images. a print folder with are my jpeg images, social media folder which are my correct size and saved as png and a psd folder to save my images with the layers incase I need to go back and adjust.  I can't open any files I have saved as .psd. (my saved layers images) in photoshop. I have also saved my images as jpeg using every way thats been described and they aren't saving correctly. I am at an absolute loss as to what to do. Im more concerned about my psd layer files than any other. None of this was an issue until the update to Catalina. Please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just update Photoshop. It's been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the exact same issue and it is driving me absolutely insane. I've wasted so much time having to re-save and type the format on my own too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Download the latest update which has been out for at least a week -- it should solve your problem?????

Votes

Translate

Translate